Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line forum

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#25509 - 11/08/17 04:05 PM Montgomery #1 1/2 Dogless
Tom Landefeld Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Kentucky
I recently acquired a dozen of these a buddy of mine had bought second hand 20 years ago with the intentions of trying his hand at trapping. It never happened. He did his own "offset" on about half of em. They had been laying in the shop for a couple weeks without much thought. Coon prices are in the tank, and we don't have big numbers or size here anyhow, our rat population is dismal, and our fox have been thinned greatly due to the coyotes and "fox hunters"..... Trapping here, means for me mostly beaver, coyotes, skunk, bobcat (limit 5) otter, and mink.... I picked up a few of them today and started playing with them. Tuning them was a breeze once I figured it out. They felt pretty stout, I think they will make a good mink trap. I also have a notion that they will reliably hold the coyotes we have around here. The dogless trap is a new animal to me, any advice (short of chucking them in a lake) would be great!

Tom

#25510 - 11/09/17 09:39 AM Re: Montgomery #1 1/2 Dogless [Re: Tom Landefeld]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
The jaw spread is probably a little too small for coyotes.

#25519 - 11/13/17 04:08 AM Re: Montgomery #1 1/2 Dogless [Re: Tom Landefeld]
Utk1 Online   content

Loc: S.E. Kentucky
I know a guy, Hal knows him as Dude, that swears by Duke 1.5 double jaws. He says when you catch a bobcat or coyote the foot fills the jaws and the levers are tight on both sides of it. I toyed with using them on public land last year just to see for myself but work got in the way.

#25520 - 11/13/17 07:42 AM Re: Montgomery #1 1/2 Dogless [Re: Tom Landefeld]
Tom Landefeld Offline
Initiate Member

Utk1, you laying any steel today? We are gonna punch in some coyote and skunk sets here on the homeplace. I found several more colonies of beaver on government land this past weekend. Going to be some work getting in there though. They have a series of culverts plugged under a major road and have created beaver flooded timber paradise. I need to get up with the USFS office to see if they contract out any ADC work. Hal, do you have any input on approaching the USFS. To my knowledge we have few if any government trappers in the east.

Tom

#25521 - 11/13/17 02:27 PM Re: Montgomery #1 1/2 Dogless [Re: Tom Landefeld]
Hal Offline

I don't know of any Government trapping jobs that are part time. Bounty comes from local government and/or landowners

#25522 - 11/13/17 02:40 PM Re: Montgomery #1 1/2 Dogless [Re: Utk1]
Hal Offline

Originally Posted By: Utk1
I know a guy, Hal knows him as Dude, that swears by Duke 1.5 double jaws. He says when you catch a bobcat or coyote the foot fills the jaws and the levers are tight on both sides of it. I toyed with using them on public land last year just to see for myself but work got in the way.

A #1.5 ain't no coyote trap. I don't care what Dude says. smile

#25523 - 11/13/17 07:10 PM Re: Montgomery #1 1/2 Dogless [Re: Tom Landefeld]
Tom Landefeld Offline
Initiate Member

Thanks Hal. I agree. While I have held coyotes in #11 dbl jaws, I don't consider it a "coyote trap". I guess I knew better when I posed the question, I was just trying to convince myself that these traps could pull double duty. On the upside I put out some #2 Bridgers and my tried and true #3 Victors. Got 2 blind sets out, a couple dirtholes and a snare. As well as a mink blind set and two #160 buckets. Never have tried a bucket before, but I am wanting to hammer some skunks. I guess I will put in an order for a dozen #2 square jaw Dukes!

Tom

#25524 - 11/14/17 03:59 AM Re: Montgomery #1 1/2 Dogless [Re: Tom Landefeld]
Utk1 Online   content

Loc: S.E. Kentucky
I won't be setting until next weekend. My wife is having surgery this week and I'll be hanging around close. I am kicking off the season in a big way though. Ten of us are trapping two counties in western Kentucky to hammer the beaver that are causing problems. This is a joint effort with KDFWR to see if it helps the area. The people on DBNF are a mixed bag anymore. Some of them may appreciate your help on the culverts and some are greenies. If you can find one up there that has some sense they can put you on some problem areas.

#25534 - 11/14/17 07:04 PM Re: Montgomery #1 1/2 Dogless [Re: Tom Landefeld]
Tom Landefeld Offline
Initiate Member

Awesome! I have no trouble finding beaver,but if I could gain access to some of the gated FS roads I could get a bunch more! I have a few friends that work here in the Cumberland district office, so I will have to check with them. Some of the gates are open for deer season.

Tom

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.