Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#25414 - 10/19/17 06:43 AM Re: Asset Protection, Theft. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Well, people do strange things. Most folks are honest and will give you a fair shake, there are others that will take advantage of the situation, if given a chance. People are greedy.

I will tell you a little bit more about "The Girl's Dad", like I said above, a year ago I had a lot of respect for the man. Not now.

I'll try to explain how "the Girl's Dad" ruined his reputation. The Girl's Dad was working for my friend Bob, Bob told him up front: "You keep track of the hours that you work, and if I can't trust you with doing that, I'll never call you again."

Bob was paying him, (I think $15/hour), for cleaning up a bunch of scrap metal. "The Girl's Dad" has a small dump truck, and part of the deal was, that "The Girl's Dad" got all of the money for the scrap. Scrap metal prices are down, Bob just wanted him to clean up the place, and wasn't worried about $500 worth of junk.

There was a hot water heater, a bunch of copper wire, and a good many light fixtures that "came up missing." (I have inside information about this whole deal.) The Girl's Dad, was selling the light fixtures online. I'm not positive, but I think that copper wire was 4/0, coated wire. Expensive stuff.

Anyway, above where I said that it will cost "the Girl's Dad" in the long run, it will. Even if he's pocketed $5,000 from the deal with the carpet shop and the deal with the missing stuff. His reputation isn't worth a damn.

Not long after I found out about "the Girl's Dad" stealing stuff, a man asked me who I'd recommend to do some work for him. "The Girl's Dad" was the first person that came to mind, but I can't do that. "The Girl's Dad" has lost my respect, he's a thief and I no longer trust him.

I gave the man another friend's phone number, Roger, he's got a dump truck and all. I just talked to the man a week or so ago, he thanked me, told me that Roger did a good job. We shook hands and away he went. Roger thanked me too.

If "the Girl's Dad" wouldn't have screwed up, that would have been his job. Somewhere around $400, honest cash money for that little job. But nope!

His screw up is going to come back and bite him!

I talked to Bud from the carpet shop yesterday, he told me what's going on with the police. As the old time folks would say: By God, that'll break em from suckin eggs.

I don't think that the 3 of them realize what kind of mess they've gotten themselves into, yet.

#25416 - 10/19/17 08:41 AM Re: Asset Protection, Theft. [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
I will agree 100% with your assessment of the story. I just returned from camp where I contracted with a local contractor to do a fair amount of grading and stoning of the camp site. The cost was over 6K. I told him,"Look Mike, I want you to get your fair wages for the job, but I also don't want you to screw me over." He said "hey, if I mess one person up in this small township, I'll never be able to work here again." That's what it's gonna be like for your 'girls dad'.

Frank.

#25420 - 10/20/17 06:41 AM Re: Asset Protection, Theft. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I agree. This is a small town, word travels fast.

I'll try to clear up what I said above, the copper wire, the lights and hot water heater were all inside of a building beside the carpet place. The lights were stacked on pallets, the wire was new, the hot water heater wasn't being used, but it was all locked up inside. The Girl's Dad had access. It's not like any of the stuff was just piled up outside.

It's a screwy deal, but it'll come back to haunt him. Because of where I work, I see a good many people, and over the years I've sent a good bit of work his way. Small easy jobs, 100 bucks here, 200 bucks there. Knowing what I know now, I just can't recommend him to anyone.

That's just how fast he ruined his reputation.

#25536 - 11/15/17 06:41 AM Re: Asset Protection, Theft. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I’ll give you another example of the consequences of theft. Read between the lines.

For years and years here at the store I bought milk from an “independent distributer”, Jimmy is the man that owned the operation. Jimmy was more or less the “middle man”, between me and the dairy. Jimmy had his own refrigerated trucks, and 2 or 3 truck drivers working for him. Milk is expensive, Jimmy had a good business!

Here at my store they delivered 2 days per week, Jimmy would deliver on Monday and Virgil would deliver on Thursday. Between the 2 of them, they did a good job of keeping me well stocked with milk, and with a long expiration date too.

After working with people week after week, for years and years you develop a kind of friendship. Hard to explain, but you’ve got to trust and respect each other. The 3 of us had a good working relationship.

Anyway, Jimmy came in to deliver one morning and said: “Well, you won’t be seeing Virgil on the milk truck anymore!”

I can’t quote Jimmy, but I’ll tell you what he told me, it went something like this: “You know Bill, so and so, that owns the big store out at the intersection on Route 50. Bill called me Tuesday night at home. I was sitting there about half asleep, watching the news, waiting for the weather forecast, ready to go to bed. Bill said: Jimmy, I’m sorry to call you this late at night and all, but we’ve got a problem!

Jimmy, I had a crate of watermelons in the walk-in cooler. I emptied the one crate over into the other crate, (talking about those wooden boxes, about 4 feet square, and 3 feet deep) I remember there was 1 really big melon. The reason that I remember the big watermelon, I had a hard time picking the thing up from the bottom of the empty crate. I put that big watermelon on top of the stack, and now it’s gone!

The only person that had access to the walk-in cooler was your truck driver!”

You can imagine what was going on inside of Jimmy’s head. Bill was one of Jimmy’s biggest customers. Jimmy told Bill that he’d see Virgil in the morning and find out what’s going on, and call him back first thing. Jimmy said that he didn’t sleep a wink that night. He just couldn’t believe that Virgil would be that ignorant, to steal a watermelon.

Jimmy was out at his warehouse an hour early the next morning, Virgil’s milk truck was backed up to the loading dock, just like always. Jimmy said he opened up the truck’s door, sure enough, there was a big watermelon setting in the corner.

Long story short, Virgil lost his job and reputation over a $5 melon!

If you can’t trust a man with a watermelon. . .

Above we were talking about this stuff coming back to bite you, it sure did in this case. Virgil had some fancy and expensive “toys”, guy stuff, I know first hand that he had to unload a bunch of his stuff. Those monthly bills keep on rolling in. As well as I remember, it was 3 or 4, maybe 5 months before he could even find a part time job.

Virgil had a good job and made good money on the milk truck. Think about it like this for a second, just say he lost 3 months worth of wages, how much did that watermelon cost?

#25537 - 11/15/17 08:52 AM Re: Asset Protection, Theft. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Something ain't quite right with that story. Now if the man confessed to stealing the melon, that's one thing. But, why on earth would he leave it in his truck overnight????? Why wouldn't he take it home and eat it????

#25538 - 11/15/17 04:26 PM Re: Asset Protection, Theft. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Oh, it was a screwed up deal. I'll guess that he just forgot the melon. I'd like to think that it wasn't something that happened on a daily basis!

Go out with a load of milk in the morning, and come home with the milk truck loaded with "groceries" in the evening. Who knows?

That's the thing about it, if we can't trust a man with a watermelon, how can anyone convince me that he wouldn't take a roll of cheese, or a case of bacon, or grab a 30-pack on the way out? You can't!

There are so many ways that a person can screw you over. Hopefully, I've seen the majority. Like I said above, you learn from your mistakes, suck up your loss, make sure it doesn't happen again, and tomorrow is another day.

Reading my comment above, it seems like I left Jimmy out in the cold. Jimmy found a replacement truck driver within a week or 10 days, and kept right on trucking. Back about the same time as the "incident" above, Jimmy was just getting started in the real estate business. If you'd ever be out looking for a job, Jimmy is the type of man that you'd want listed as a personal reference. He's just a good man, if he tells you something you can take it to the bank. Jimmy is still in the real estate business, and there's better money in real estate than there is milk. I haven't talked to him for a while, I did see one of his signs the other day.

#25572 - 12/02/17 06:59 AM Re: Asset Protection, Theft. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Look at this picture and notice where they man's eyes are focused. Charlie and several other folks have walked under this camera.

Charlie said that there were 2 bear in the road the other morning, guess my camera just happened to be in the right spot at the time.

I talked to a couple of other friends on the mountain, the other night, showed them my pictures. They all have trail cameras, said they quit putting them up because of the bear. Knock on wood, other than one "bear nose" picture, they haven't messed with my cameras.

Here you'll notice how I have a twig wedged behind this camera, to angle it down. And how I have the rest of the strap, all wrapped up, twisted around so it's not flapping in the wind. That's more or less to combat people eyes.

That was a vertical picture. You'll get the idea.

#25595 - Yesterday at 06:29 AM Re: Asset Protection, Theft. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I'll give you and update on the deal with the shoplifting incident. It's finally over and finished, for me.

The Prosecuting Attorney was here at the store a while back, he told me that the man was going to plead guilty, so I wouldn't need to appear at court.

The court hearing was November 28th. I'll quote part of the story from local newspaper.

Prosecuting Attorney: "I hate to send someone to prison for a $2.50 can of beef jerky. I think he's learned his lesson."

"In exchange for the guilty plea, the state recommended home incarceration." "I was under the influence and wasn't going to steal anything. Gray said, "But I take full responsibility for what I did."

The guy's attorney: "He has been incarcerated since August 22 and has shown a lot of remorse." "The Judge ordered him to home incarceration to be installed with alcohol monitoring."

I'm glad that it's finished!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.