Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line forum

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#25577 - 12/03/17 09:52 AM My annual...
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Ohio bobcat:

I'm gettin' tired of turning these things loose.

Hal

#25578 - 12/03/17 01:16 PM Re: My annual... [Re: Hal]
Utk1 Online   content

Loc: S.E. Kentucky
Well you need to quit setting those top banks on those waterway's then. One of the best cat travel ways.

#25580 - 12/03/17 05:09 PM Re: My annual... [Re: Hal]
ron finewood Online   content

Loc: palmyra, new york
It took me 4 years of trying to finally connect with a 'cat! Now I know why. They like Hal better than me!

Ron

#25581 - 12/03/17 10:43 PM Re: My annual... [Re: Hal]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Wisconsin currently has an on going cat study, supposedly to get a better understanding of the population here. Hopefully those in charge at the State level will realize, as a lot of hunters and trappers do, that the population could support more harvest tags. We're up to six or eight years of preference points now. Doesn't Ohio have such a program? Or is there anything on the table that would suggest such a program? Sure would ease your frustration.

Frank.

#25582 - 12/04/17 11:43 AM Re: My annual... [Re: Hal]
Hal Offline

We were on the verge of getting a cat season then things went to hell at the DOW. Our furbearer biologist got her ass in a sling, then they had a political massacre among the top branches. Ain't nobody there worried about a bobcat season right now.

#25583 - 12/04/17 11:43 AM Re: My annual... [Re: Utk1]
Hal Offline

Originally Posted By: Utk1
Well you need to quit setting those top banks on those waterway's then. One of the best cat travel ways.

I've set traps in that spot for 30 years. Many coyotes but this is the first cat.

#25584 - 12/04/17 01:14 PM Re: My annual... [Re: Hal]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
When you release an incidental catch, are you required to report it to the DNR? It is suggested, here, we should do that to help with the accurate appraisal of the species population. Might help with future decisions.

Frank.

#25585 - 12/04/17 05:44 PM Re: My annual... [Re: Hal]
Utk1 Online   content

Loc: S.E. Kentucky
They ought to have a limited season at least to get a handle on the health/numbers of the population. Trappers would do all the work for them for free. It didn't take long for Kentucky to go from two to five cat limit and they're still collecting jaws from trappers.

#25586 - 12/05/17 07:05 AM Re: My annual... [Re: Utk1]
Dfabs Offline

Loc: Morgantown, West Virginia
At least that one didn't try to play hide and seek under the buggy, Hal!

#25587 - 12/05/17 10:03 AM Re: My annual... [Re: FLSH ETR]
Hal Offline

Originally Posted By: FLSH ETR
When you release an incidental catch, are you required to report it to the DNR? It is suggested, here, we should do that to help with the accurate appraisal of the species population. Might help with future decisions.

Frank.

It is certainly suggested that Ohio trappers report all incidental catches. We got an otter season by flooding the DNR with reports of incidental otter. However, most of those otter were dead in a 330. We had a real problem with that because many trappers thought they were going to get in trouble for catching an otter, so they'd throw them in the bushes. It was NEVER illegal to catch an otter in Ohio, it was only illegal to try to keep it. Same with cats. My neighbor has killed two of them trying to release them and he turned both of them in.

All that said, there must the a thousand pictures of cats on game cameras here in Ohio right now. Time for the trappers association to get on the stick and get us a season.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.