Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line forum

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#25579 - 12/03/17 07:21 PM Beaver brigade
Utk1 Offline

Loc: S.E. Kentucky
United Trappers of Kentucky got a group together this past week to trap beaver that were causing damage in Western Kentucky. We had a good place to stay and a good time was had by all. We ended the week with 185 beaver and some thankful landowners. Already making plans for next year.

#25588 - 12/09/17 12:25 AM Re: Beaver brigade [Re: Utk1]
Utk1 Offline

I have a few pics up on our bulletin board at www.kentuckytrappers.com.

#25589 - 12/09/17 12:21 PM Re: Beaver brigade [Re: Utk1]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
That's a pile of beaver! At a 35 pound average, that'd be 6,475 pounds.

Just curious, how did you get a deal like that set up? It took some serious planning. Good job. I'll bet that was fun, except for the skinning!

#25590 - 12/09/17 06:13 PM Re: Beaver brigade [Re: Utk1]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Congratulations. I'm not surprised at your numbers, beaver are thick in that part of the country.

#25591 - 12/10/17 12:27 AM Re: Beaver brigade [Re: Utk1]
Utk1 Offline

That part of the state has been getting a lot of beaver complaints and our organization offered to go over and hit specific landowners to help alleviate some of the problems. It was a combined effort with our state wildlife dept. They want our input as to what may be done to help trappers that will catch them still operate more efficiently. Things like a bounty and extended day checks have been discussed. I can tell you though, if they stay as cheap as they are there will be a lot more places just like that. There's just a lot of places that could not be reached by us due to water, no permission or an impenetrable reed called phragmites.

#25650 - 12/20/17 12:45 PM Re: Beaver brigade [Re: Utk1]
redsnow Online   content

It's hard for me to imagine an area with such a heavy beaver population.

About 2 weeks ago, I put out the word that I was looking for some beaver. One way or the other, I've heard back from about everyone. So far, I've found 2 places that have beaver. They did a "little bit" of corn damage on the first farm. The other place, they are in a flood control dam, that's 25 miles up the road, one way!

After the first of the year, I'm going to scout and set both locations the same day.

#25652 - 12/20/17 02:30 PM Re: Beaver brigade [Re: Utk1]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Flat land Tim. The whole Mississippi bottom is like that. Where I trap in West TN, Charles Dobbins caught 350 beaver one season, and never got 20 steps from his truck.

#25663 - 12/23/17 01:42 PM Re: Beaver brigade [Re: Utk1]
redsnow Online   content

It's still hard for me to imagine that many beaver in an area.

I looked at western Tennessee and Kentucky on Google Earth, miles and miles of crop land. I assume that many of those grain fields are corn. And I guess every ditch, drain or pond has it's own colony of beaver.

I'm still getting local reports. I found out that a man caught 5 beaver, across the river from one of my farms. My landowner planted soy beans, they had corn on the other side. No damage on my side, so I didn't mess with them.

Last evening a man gave me permission to trap their property (2 farms) north of town, it's over 700 acres, it has 3 different creeks. He said that there were 2 beaver in the lower stream. Just as well say that's 10 miles down the road, one way.

I'll tell you this real quick: I had both of those farms years ago, the property was condemned and purchased by the power company, for big money! After all of their studies and this and that, the property was ruled a "wetland", after about 10 years the property was for sale again. About 6 months ago, one of the landowners bought the whole works. For 25 cents on the dollar of what they were originally paid. So, the farms are mine again.

It might cost me $50 to snuff out those 2 beaver, but I'm glad to have the property back.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.