Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line forum

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#25600 - 12/11/17 02:03 PM A good catch-per-day average for a long-liner?
Trickstertrapper Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Eastern Oregon
Looking to do some serious coyote trapping next year, I would like to run 300 traps. I want 3-100 trap lines (3 day check rule) and I want to trap from Oct 15th in the high country until December
in the low country. I'm thinking I sould move my traps every 14 days. The best that I have ever done is 10% on 50 traps (five per day)...but my average is less than 4%. I'm thinking it sould be much better like up around 7-9%.Does anyone have any numbers for sustainable trapping...like conservative numbers for the desert country out by Eastern Oregon? I know there are a lot of veriables but, I have nothing to compare my numbers to. I just need some ball park numbers for predicting income and comparing my numbers to that of the "Trapping Greats" (that's you, Hal) So that I can set goals and know where I stand. I'm an intermediate trapper...but I am seeking greatness.

#25634 - 12/17/17 12:08 PM Re: A good catch-per-day average for a long-liner? [Re: Trickstertrapper]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
These questions are impossible to answer. Are you looking for a high catch rate, or a number of critters? If I were proud of my "percentage" I would set very few traps. But I'd rather catch critters, so I really don't give a hoot how many extra traps I set, or what my percentage winds up. There is no bracket on a fur check for percentage.

#25635 - 12/17/17 12:35 PM Re: A good catch-per-day average for a long-liner? [Re: Hal]
Dfabs Online   content

Loc: Morgantown, West Virginia
I will take a stab at this one.
First of all, it all depends on what the coyote population is like. A guy long lining in WV where I am from is not going to have the same numbers or averages as a guy long lining in Montana. So, before you get caught up in numbers you need to ask yourself the reason you want to run a long line. Is it just for the experience of doing it, is it to try and make a profit, does it matter to you how much you make from it, do you just want to break even? If I am running a long enough line, I like to at least try to catch enough to come close to paying for my gas. That might mean hitting a couple streams and setting some rat traps that are likely to connect quick to offset the fuel while I'm waiting on coyote sets to catch or something if the sort. Rat traps will help your average if that's what you're going for.

I'm not a long liner, but sometimes I get a good bit of traps going. We have a 24 hour check law so no more than you can check in a day. I do follow some pretty hard working long liners out west, and some of the numbers they put up are jaw dropping. If you plan on trying to pursue long lining I would suggest taking some instruction from a big numbers guy to see what kind of work goes into maintaining a line of that size, and what kind of methods they use to maintain numbers, and what kind of permissions you need to keep your traps in front of fresh fur. The most important thing I can tell to being successful is to be setting new property every single day. A guy like Ed Schneider will start out with, say, 70 traps on the first day and add in more every day until he has close to 300 traps out at a time, and his catch is anything from 10-20 coyotes a day. Now, that's in Kansas and they have a lot of yotes. That may or may not be possible in your area. I say go for it though, you only live once and you don't get any younger. It's not gonna get any easier the longer you wait. Let us know how you do.

#25636 - 12/17/17 04:13 PM Re: A good catch-per-day average for a long-liner? [Re: Trickstertrapper]
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
Honestly---how it is even possible to check 300 traps, do resets, move traps, skin and put up 10 -20 Coyotes, drive, eat and sleep in 1 day? Who is pulling my leg here?

Ron

#25637 - 12/17/17 05:33 PM Re: A good catch-per-day average for a long-liner? [Re: Trickstertrapper]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
He's not pulling your leg Ron. You have a couple misconceptions. 1)He is planning on 3 (three) lines of app 100 traps each 2) there is very little of moving traps until one line is abandoned and a new one set up 3)10 coyotes would be an absolute stellar day much fewer would be typical, but don't forget the other targeted species. Not to dismiss the effort involved, it is a lot.It can be done and there are some very long days.

I'm speaking from experience, out west we are basically on a 3 day check and put on between 75 to 90 miles per day off road. By the time you get back to camp and finish all the chores sleep comes pretty easy. Those days with mechanical break downs, unusual occurrences or that coyote you had to track for 3 hours because the drag refused to hang up can really test you

#25638 - 12/17/17 06:50 PM Re: A good catch-per-day average for a long-liner? [Re: Trickstertrapper]
ron finewood Offline

That is not only very impressive but sounds like a task for a much younger man than myself.

Ron

#25639 - 12/17/17 07:09 PM Re: A good catch-per-day average for a long-liner? [Re: ron finewood]
Dfabs Online   content

Originally Posted By: ron finewood
Honestly---how it is even possible to check 300 traps, do resets, move traps, skin and put up 10 -20 Coyotes, drive, eat and sleep in 1 day? Who is pulling my leg here?

Ron

Ron, why would I have any reason to pull your leg about anything? If I dont know what I'm talking about, I just won't respond. Ed has a partner that he traps with, and like I said in my first post, if you are gonna be a long liner, you better be willing to have a lot of nights with 2 and 4 hours of sleep. He traps in Kansas and he has a 24 hour check law so yes, he does it all in a day. You are gonna start before daylight, and you are gonna be lucky to be out of the fur shed by midnight. If you aren't willing to dedicate yourself to your line, then it's not gonna work. If you can't get out of the truck, have a set in, and be back in the truck in less than 5 minutes, then you better go out in the yard and dig some holes and practice bedding until you can. These guys aren't walking more than 100 yards to a trap, and they check them all from the truck at a roll. Long chain with a 6" stick thru the chain so you can look with the binoculars at the set and tell if the trap has been pulled out of the bed or not. If you can see the stick, keep moving. It would be even easier to do with a 3 day check law. But, like I said, not everybody has the population density to do that. 5 coyotes a day might be good in your area. In 14 days of checking, Ed might have one day where his coyote catch dips into the single digits. Him and his partner are running their Kansas line right now. They are on their 21st check day, and they are sitting at 239 coyotes right now. Thats not counting the coons, cats, and badger. That's an 11 coyote a day average.
I also happen to talk to Mark Zagger every now and then. Mark is putting up numbers like that on the East Coast. He takes 2-3 weeks a year off work to run a long line and he is putting up triple digit catches in 14 days. He also traps alone so it can be done without a partner too. Just because YOU aren't willing to put the work into doing it doesn't mean there aren't guys out there that can. That's why there are only 3-4 posts a day on this entire site. Every time somebody posts on here, they get some kind of response like that.

#25640 - 12/18/17 08:00 AM Re: A good catch-per-day average for a long-liner? [Re: Trickstertrapper]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Whoa there, little defensive aren't we. The question was how can you run 300 traps and do everything else. The answer is you can't run 300 land sets on a 24 hr check for any reasonable period of time. You pass on what others have told you but haven't done it yourself. So you really don't know the finer points of running a large number of sets over a large area for an extended period.

I give one example. ANYONE intending to run Longlines for an extended period realizes the importance of setting a sustainable pace.There is only so much time and you only have so much energy. Exceed that and you will be going backwards in a short time.

Sure you can work yourself to the bone for a short period and the try to recover afterword but that is not sustainable.

You think the tone on this site is harsh, because people question when someone passes on hearsay that seems questionable? I consider it a service to those trying to get some good answers to question with out needing to wade through a pile of B.S.

Edited by Ric (12/18/17 08:01 AM)

#25641 - 12/18/17 08:19 AM Re: A good catch-per-day average for a long-liner? [Re: Trickstertrapper]
ron finewood Offline

Well, I did not intend to touch a raw nerve with you and get you all riled up. I guess I compared the scenario to myself and my area of trapping. Around here, the farm fields are rather small, with lots of houses and "settled" land which is not conducive to trapping Coyotes. I may put in 3 - 5 sets on a farm lane and then drive 10 miles to the next location. On opening day, I only got about 30 sets in. Then, it takes me about 40 minutes to skin a Coyote, another 10 to wash it and then let it dry. The next day I board it. I am just a whisker under 70 and by the time I finish my day, I am dog tired and need 8 hours of sleep--not 2 - 4. Also, I trap for fun and enjoy it--and am not all about the dedication and perseverance that it must take to do what you and/or your friends do. So, rather than bad mouth this site, just take your beef up with me---and we shall both continue to take our chosen paths and enjoy life.

Ron

#25642 - 12/18/17 09:03 AM Re: A good catch-per-day average for a long-liner? [Re: ron finewood]
Dfabs Online   content

First of all, you don't know me, and yes that does whiz me off a little when some guy that doesn't even know me more or less calls me a liar. I'm sure you wouldn't be too happy about it either. If I called you a liar, I'm sure it wouldn't take long for one of the mods to edit my post. I don't have to quote any hearsay. The two guys I mentioned earlier are two of my biggest mentors, and I happen to talk to them daily so I don't need to quote hearsay from anybody. Just because the land in your area isn't set up to run a lot of traps doesn't mean that it's not possible anywhere else. I said earlier, you are not going to do that where I live either. I have to trap ridges and logging roads, but just because I can't do it here doesn't mean it can't be done. That is also why I said that it is hard to say what a good average would be in somebody else's area. I know for a fact that there are places where a double digit daily average is possible every day for a month if you have the drive. I find it hard to believe Ed is taking pictures of the same coyotes every day and sending them. They would be getting pretty ripe by now. And I also said he traps with a partner so I don't know how everybody got caught up on one guy can't do it by himself in a day. Also, the OP said his state has a 3 day check law so how did you guys turn this into a one day check. I simply stated 2 guys that I know for an absolute fact are running as many traps or more every single day than the OP wants to run which is why I said if he has the ambition and the permissions then go for it and see what happens. He is either gonna hit it out of the park or he is not. Either way, he is gonna have fun doing it, and it is going to be something that he will never regret doing, or he will most likely always regret not doing if he doesn't. I post quite frequently on quite a few forums. It seems like anytime anybody has anything to say about a topic over here though, if the statement didn't come from a select few then they must be blowing smoke. I joined this site because I have a lot of respect for Hal as a trapper, and if anybody is ever on Tman I'm sure you have heard me give Hal credit multiple times for helping me catch my first beaver. I have only ever met Hal a handful of times, but he comes to our convention every year and his demo is always one that I do not miss. I don't know everything nor do I think I do, but if I feel like I have the opportunity to help somebody else I try to give what little advice I can. I guess I will just go back to lurking on this site because I'm not going to be called a liar and just act like that's ok, and I sure don't wanna spread around any hearsay so tight chains everybody and may your stretchers stay full.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.