Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#25738 - 01/05/18 03:46 PM Re: New trapper advice on gear [Re: Trapperj]
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
Good for you! Congrats.

Now go get another! I hope you remade the set and made a new one nearby.

#25739 - 01/05/18 07:27 PM Re: New trapper advice on gear [Re: Trapperj]
Trapperj Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Pa
That i did, i have 12 traps out with lure , urine, bait. An the only one i get action at is scent post. Its tough when snow is 1' deep.

#25740 - 01/06/18 06:57 AM Re: New trapper advice on gear [Re: Trapperj]
musher Offline

You got me laughing at 1 inch deep. If your trap and trap bed are set up properly, an inch of snow is not an issue - unless it is a solid crust.

If you want, take a broom and sweep away a large area of snow where your set is. Clear it away to bare earth and set as if there is no snow.

#25741 - 01/06/18 07:05 AM Re: New trapper advice on gear [Re: Trapperj]
Trapperj Offline
Initiate Member

1 foot, lol. Its skinned on a stretcher, when do i flip skin fur side out?

#25743 - 01/06/18 03:04 PM Re: New trapper advice on gear [Re: Trapperj]
musher Offline

A foot is a lot harder to deal with but it is very doable.

Flip the skin when it feels tacky. Be careful turning it back because fox rip fairly easily.

#25744 - 01/06/18 03:52 PM Re: New trapper advice on gear [Re: Trapperj]
Trapperj Offline
Initiate Member

Any advice on good sets in snow? I'm thinking pipe set...

Edited by Trapperj (01/06/18 07:12 PM)

#25745 - 01/06/18 07:33 PM Re: New trapper advice on gear [Re: Trapperj]
musher Offline

Snare! But you might not be able to do that in your state.

Never make a pipe set although I have been reading up on them lately. I'm guessing you mean the dream pipe set made popular by Mark Zaggerman?

In snow, when setting footholds for wolf, I only make urine post sets. My fox trapping with footholds is over once snow gets more than 6-8 inches deep.

You should try to keep your existing sets operational as long as possible.

#25749 - 01/07/18 01:28 PM Re: New trapper advice on gear [Re: Trapperj]
Trapperj Offline
Initiate Member

I can use snare for a short season but need to go through a 6 hour course to get certified.

anyone around northwest pa know where to send fur out to get soft tanned, how long will the fur keep on the stretcher? It hasn't been treated with anything just defleshed and stretched. and with so many different opinions on salting and prepping i'm unsure.

#25750 - 01/07/18 03:00 PM Re: New trapper advice on gear [Re: Trapperj]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Kudos on knowing PA "cable restraints" are nothing more than snares. Take the course when you get the chance.

Do not salt your hides. The hide will be okay on the stretcher until spring if you so desire. A lot of tanneries advertise in the major trapping publications.

#25751 - 01/07/18 04:25 PM Re: New trapper advice on gear [Re: Hal]
Dfabs Offline

Loc: Morgantown, West Virginia
Originally Posted By: Hal
Kudos on knowing PA "cable restraints" are nothing more than snares.

This brings up something that I have wondered from time to time. I would like to hear a response from somebody that has been "around the block" like Hal. Also, anybody else that has trapped multiple states. Is there actually a difference between a "cable restraint" and a "snare"? I was always of the assumption that if the cable used a relaxing lock, it was referred to as a "cable restraint," and if it had a non-relaxing lock, it was referred to as a "snare." There was a discussion over on Tman probably a little over a year ago about this, and the answers that were given were all over the place. Is "cable restraint" just a feel good word that states like to use, or is there actually a difference? Does it come down to whether entanglement is used to make it a lethal set? What is the distinguishing factor between the two, if there even is one? I wish I would have asked Slim Pedersen this question too when I talked to him in October, but I didn't think about it. I know in some states, "snare" is like a 4 letter word.

I'm not sure what PA's laws are, but I know in WV we must use a relaxing lock, and either a breakaway or a deer stop, but in our regulations, the cable is referred to as a snare. WV does not offer a class. I would like to go take the PA class sometime just to see what kind of information is given in it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.