Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#25689 - 12/28/17 06:37 PM Releasing a deer in cable restraint
bradley Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Missouri
Gang,

I had a young deer get neck caught in a cable set for coyotes. Surprisingly the deer stayed calmer than I expected but I used my UTV to straddle the cable to keep it from wrapping me up too. The cutters I had did not allow me to cut the cable off the neck but rather right next to the washer lock. My thoughts at the time were it would relax enough to come loose with that short amount of cable.

Now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if I did the right thing or should have left to return with better cutters? What are your thoughts or guess for it coming off on its own?

#25691 - 12/29/17 07:27 AM Re: Releasing a deer in cable restraint [Re: bradley]
just Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Henry co Iowa
I'm guessing it will stay.
Unfortunatly it could become a topic for anti's.
just

#25692 - 12/29/17 09:06 AM Re: Releasing a deer in cable restraint [Re: just]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
If your set was a 'cable restraint' set, I believe the noose part that you left on the deer will eventually work itself off. If it was a 'snare' set, it won't tighten further, and the deer will wear it like a GPS collar that the biologists use. IMHO.

Frank.

#25694 - 12/29/17 11:13 AM Re: Releasing a deer in cable restraint [Re: FLSH ETR]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: FLSH ETR
If your set was a 'cable restraint'... If it was a 'snare' set...
Frank.

There is no qualitative difference especially as to short cut cable coming out of the lock. If you cut it very, very, close to the lock, it may unravel and come off. But, you probably should have went for better cutters. However, I'm very surprised the neck-snared deer was actually alive.

#25697 - 12/29/17 05:55 PM Re: Releasing a deer in cable restraint [Re: Hal]
bradley Offline
Initiate Member

I hate to admit it now but this makes the second time I have caught a deer by the neck. Both young deer and alive doing fine. The first deer I was able to cut it completely off but this second deer as it run off I didn't have a good feeling about the way it appeared or what I had done. Hal is right now that I think about restraints vs. snares as I guess my perception was the restraints relaxed more hence it would work its way off cut close to the lock. I will be closing up my loop a little smaller than 12" and evaluating where I put these when I know deer are using the area. Using stepover limbs, etc. they teach us in using these tools. My goal is to whack predators not the prey and I don't want to feed any anti sentiment if I can keep from it.

#25702 - 12/30/17 06:26 AM Re: Releasing a deer in cable restraint [Re: bradley]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
If the snare was into the fur, it has a good chance of staying on.

Anytime I've had to release a deer it was a dangerous thing. I almost got brained once. How did you do it?

#25704 - 12/30/17 10:58 PM Re: Releasing a deer in cable restraint [Re: musher]
bradley Offline
Initiate Member

I straddled the cable stake with my Polaris ranger to keep the deer where it could only move between the front tires. At that point they almost seem to give up. Like you said I didn't want to wrestle and get gouged with sharp hooves while trying to cut it or get my boys hurt trying to help.

#25706 - 12/31/17 05:42 AM Re: Releasing a deer in cable restraint [Re: bradley]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Interesting way if the terrain permits it. Thanks for the info.

BTW: I don't know if your user name is what it is due to an unfortunate combination of letters or if you are trying to be slyly crude on a kid friendly site. Changing it might be a good idea. No offense intended.

#25713 - 12/31/17 04:23 PM Re: Releasing a deer in cable restraint [Re: bradley]
bradley Offline
Initiate Member

LOL..well I almost didn't use this for a username and if I can edit it I will. I plugged in my name first and of course "brad" was used. Actually it may seem weird to use but "pinus" is the genus name for pine trees and I'm sort of a fan of shortleaf pine here in MO. Maybe I should change it to the species name instead since I understand how similar Pinus is and people are wondering if I'm trying to be cute. Not here

#25714 - 12/31/17 06:05 PM Re: Releasing a deer in cable restraint [Re: bradley]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
'Pinus strobus', my favorite. Gleaned from our camp, one now sits in the corner of our family room decorated with ornaments that were my mom's, some of them 80 years old.

Frank.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.