Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#25779 - 01/09/18 06:14 PM Re: Snaring Fish. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Not what I thought at all. Noisy as heck and pretty crowded! Thanks for educating me.

#25782 - 01/09/18 06:55 PM Re: Snaring Fish. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I agree, that is noisy. The guys and gals that I was with, we used wooden "stompers." Those guys in the video are using metal pipes, more noise above the ice than below.

My bud Moe has some stompers, they probably weigh 5 pounds, with a metal handle, and the only thing you hear is a thump. You just walk along, raise it up knee high, and let it slide out of your hands. Ka-Bong. Next step, you repeat. Ka-Bong. The fish can feel it I guess, and you just drive them.

The ice was clear where we went the 2nd time, we were shooing them toward the folks snaring like you would a flock of chickens. We could see the fish, they could see us.

#25787 - 01/10/18 06:23 AM Re: Snaring Fish. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Sorry, I didn't answer Brian's other questions. No, they're not spawning yet.

That video above is pretty much to the extreme. I think it was taken on January 1st, a vacation day for a lot of folks, school was out and nothing else to do.

If you'll notice in my pictures above, the best "system" I've ever been around for snaring, is to cut your hole in the ice and then cover it with an old car tire. The tire gives you a place to rest your elbows. Remember those square seat type of PFD's, they make a good knee rest, and it's handy to have a PFD, just in case.

We cut our holes with a chainsaw the other day. But what you do, you point your butt toward the direction where you expect the fish to come from. And you look back under yourself, watching for fish. Most times they will be near the bottom, and when you see one coming, you'll try to line up your snare loop and get it in front of the fish. When it's head gets inside the snare loop, you just lift up, depending on the depth of the water, it's a 2 or 3, maybe a 4 handed operation.

The other day, we had enough snare poles rigged up and ready, just drop that pole and grab another one, and back to watching. A lot of times, the fish will kick around and get out of the snare loop, then all you need to do is just straighten out the loop, ready for the next pass.

Thinking about it now, the best day I've ever had snaring, there were only 5 of us on the ice. It was a thick, dark ice. That hole was full of suckers, and they were moving at a snail's pace.

I'd still rather gig from a boat. It's more efficient.

Edited by redsnow (01/10/18 05:16 PM)
Edit Reason: Replaced T with H.

#25788 - 01/10/18 06:41 AM Re: Snaring Fish. [Re: redsnow]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Your correct Hal . Loop needs to be perpendicular to fish. Swivel might make things difficult. Water flow is usually pretty low during "snareing time" and we would work pools where current was slow.

See the guy's poking there heads in the holes in the newspaper photo. We used a small dark cover over our heads to block the light from above. Surprising how well you can see under water when you block the light from above

Like I said never did Carp. Can only imagine that a 20 pounder would be VERY interesting

#25789 - 01/10/18 04:10 PM Re: Snaring Fish. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Next time I'm up at Moe's house I'll get a picture of one of his "stompers." It's just like a short handled tamp. Sound does carry across the ice and underwater.

Talking about all of the noise in that video above, I knew a man that lived here, you can't mention snaring without Bud's name coming up, but I've watched him just grab a piece of driftwood, and drag it behind him. Twist it now and then in his hand, ka-bing ka-bong, screech. . . Heck, the pole he'd be dragging might be 40 feet long.

Bud snared a big carp years ago, and had it mounted. I forget how much it weighed?, but I know the folks that own the house today, if it's still up there I'll run up and get us a picture. As well as I remember, that fish would darn near fill up a bathtub!

Carp are a lot of fun to play with, on a gig, or in a snare, or on a rod and reel.

#25792 - 01/11/18 05:47 PM Re: Snaring Fish. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Just a picture of our ice, that's good ice.

We've never really talked about our snare loop, what we were using the other day was a loop somewhere around 6 inches in diameter. Between 6 and 8". Figure a big sucker would be about 3 inches in diameter, give or take. I'll get us a picture first chance, but we had our snare loop on bamboo poles.

A friend of mine was telling me one time they were out on clear ice, the fish were really wild and spooky. They weren't doing any good at all. He said that they went back to the house and got a big sheet of black plastic, and stretched it out across the ice, where they had their holes. From what he told me, they cleaned up on them after that. (I'll bet that would be slicker than hell, plastic on ice!) It seems that fish do kind of relax and settle down when they are under some kind of cover.

I was out one day and stopped at the bridge up at the county line, I just wanted to check on the ice. There was a little patch of slack water, on one end of the bridge, and a little pocket of deep water. The slack water was frozen over, right out to the current, there were 3 guys down there snaring.

I've never watched anyone snare like this before, but they were laying on their bellies, fishing around up under the ice. Standing on the bridge, I could see the fish milling around under the guys. What they were doing, if a fish was out of reach of one guy, he'd poke it or scare it a little bit, and run it over to his buddy. They had several fish on the ice. Pretty neat just watching.

Thinking about it now, I know of a small bridge hole, and it should have suckers in it. That's a spring fed stream, we've had some warm days, but calling for cold weather again. I'll bet nobody has messed with that little hole, never know, it might be full of suckers.

#25798 - 01/12/18 06:59 AM Re: Snaring Fish. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
When we have ice we have snow on it. often we have snow before we have ice. I have rarely seen clear ice except on puddles.

With the rain we are now having, we have water running on the snow that is on the ice. The fish are safe!

#25805 - 01/14/18 07:34 AM Re: Snaring Fish. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Here's another ice picture. The sun was off hard to my left in this picture, if you follow along with the shadows on the bottom of the river, those are shadows of the ice cracks. That ice is a good 7 inches or better, the water was around 5 feet deep there.

We had a very dry fall, very dry winter here. Really, we've been dry since last spring. Our rivers were running low, we've had some cool weather, we were down in the teen's back in November. I remember I drained the water lines up at the Old Shack, the 2nd week of November.

We've had rain and a little bit of snow, then the sun pops out and it gets windy, and we're dry again.

But conditions were perfect for ice. The rivers were low, we had several clear, calm and cold nights, and the rivers froze quick. The lowest temp I've had here at the house was -1 F., that one trail cam picture I posted the other day was minus 4 F. Or -6 F.?

We've had some screwy weather. Last Sunday, it was 5*F. and we had good ice. I think it was Thursday evening/night we had a little bit of rain, around 1/4". Deed honest, Friday evening I had a high temp of 74* F. A man said the ice was coming off in chunks Friday. I drove across the big river yesterday morning, and could see an ice jam, about 1/4 mile downstream. Just a guess, I'd say it was piled up around 5 feet high.

I couldn't see downstream coming home, but upstream it looked like the river was muddy. I just had a glimpse of the river, but I didn't see any river ice.

From 74* Friday, it snowed 2 or 3 inches up in the mountains Saturday, I had 9* F this morning. Up to 11* F. now.

#25807 - 01/14/18 11:17 AM Re: Snaring Fish. [Re: redsnow]
just Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Henry co Iowa
When I was a kid Dad told me they used to fish the creek across from their house.
He said they would snare the fish.
I thought he was kidding me. This is the first I have heard of snaring fish since then.
That's been around 60 years ago.
just

#25811 - 01/16/18 06:36 AM Re: Snaring Fish. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Around here folks would go out in the spring and gig suckers, when they were going up the creeks to spawn. Never did hear of anyone trying to snare them.

We're not all on the same page, as far as gigging fish. Above where I said that gigging is more efficient, it is, and I'm not talking about just gigging from a bridge or wade gigging. It works best from a boat.

I have a 12 foot aluminum, flat bottom boat, it's solid and very stable on the water. I have an underwater light that we'll mount on the front of the boat, fish gigs with 8 and 10 foot handles. The man gigging will stand up front, with the lights working, in clear water, he should be able to see a fish the size of a sucker, at least 15 feet on each side of the boat, and about the same up front.

You can cover a lot of ground/river bottom, each pass. I've never really gigged in the daytime, other than just farting around.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.