Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#25758 - 01/08/18 10:36 AM Re: New trapper advice on gear [Re: Dfabs]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: Dfabs
Is "cable restraint" just a feel good word that states like to use.

Yes, and it is dangerous precedent. Some folks really do have the impression that their snares are less lethal (in given situations)simply because they are called "cable restraints". Bad policy.

I virtually wrote the WV snaring regulations. There are an exact copy of the Ohio regs, with small differences for other WV trapping regulations. I was working with some "cable restraint" states, but I bowed out when I saw what they were doing. Here again those states have there trappers thinking that "cable restraints" are less lethal than snare, and they are not.

#25759 - 01/08/18 01:33 PM Re: New trapper advice on gear [Re: Hal]
Dfabs Offline

Loc: Morgantown, West Virginia
Thank you, Hal. That is exactly what I wanted to know. My snaring experience is pretty limited. I hang very little cable on land, although, I had some instruction from Eric Space and I have been using a lot of snares for mink in areas where theft is likely this year. Most of the land that I trap canines on is public land though, and even though we are allowed to use them there, I will not hang them on public land. I do set them in water though, and they work well for me in places where guys have pestered beaver with conis.

Also, I was unaware that you had a part in writing our laws. That is a pretty neat thing to be involved in. I am also very grateful that WV is one of the more lenient states when it comes to our laws. I would like to see them change the law that our traps cannot be more than 3ft off the ground though. That eliminates being able to set a lot of my better log crossings across creeks that have steep banks. Any idea why they want you 3ft or less where other states want you to be higher than that? I would think being higher up would be safer around people that are hunting with dogs. I have been playing around with laying my fisher boxes on the ground and using a foothold in front of them lately because I worry about a dog being able to reach my vertical cages. It seems like we are seeing a big increase in my area of guys running dogs the last few years for coyote, and those dogs don't see property lines.

#25793 - 01/11/18 05:56 PM Re: New trapper advice on gear [Re: Trapperj]
Trapperj Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Pa
I sure need some new traps i have old duke # 2 snapped nothing in it. Wasn't a deer because of location. The trap was standing straight up but stretched out. What should i do different?

#25796 - 01/12/18 05:10 AM Re: New trapper advice on gear [Re: Trapperj]
Dfabs Offline

Loc: Morgantown, West Virginia
Originally Posted By: Trapperj
I sure need some new traps i have old duke # 2 snapped nothing in it. Wasn't a deer because of location. The trap was standing straight up but stretched out. What should i do different?

Was there a catch circle at all, and was there any hair in the trap?

#25797 - 01/12/18 05:25 AM Re: New trapper advice on gear [Re: Trapperj]
Trapperj Offline
Initiate Member

I couldn't find an sign, no catch circle either.

#25799 - 01/12/18 09:57 AM Re: New trapper advice on gear [Re: Trapperj]
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
Originally Posted By: Trapperj
I couldn't find an sign, no catch circle either.

Kind of tough to offer an opinion without facts. Stuff happens on the trap line. Reset the trap and remember that not every empty, snapped trap results in a learning experience.

#25800 - 01/12/18 10:37 AM Re: New trapper advice on gear [Re: musher]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Could be Tom Foolery by another trapper. Could be some one who doesn't appreciate trapping but is not a thief. Or are you on private land where you know for sure that no one else will have access to that area? Like Musher said, "need facts".

Frank.

#25801 - 01/12/18 03:31 PM Re: New trapper advice on gear [Re: Trapperj]
Trapperj Offline
Initiate Member

Just found a dozen dead geese dumped 10' from my property line, not very happy about it. What idiot would do that! They will never find him.....they must not be starving.....

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.