Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#25822 - 01/25/18 11:10 AM AWG
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
My cabin is 'off-the-grid', as they say. I'm preparing to solar power the structure with just LED lights for now. An inverter might come later. What piqued my interest was the wire size chart included with the installation instructions. Being an electrical inspector for 25 years I'm well aware of the carrying capacity of different sized conductors. And I don't want this thread to be about solar power. We could start a new thread about that topic. But in the instructions there is a chart which gives the 'break force' for different size wires. I've never seen this associated with electrical concerns. It does have concerns, however, with the use of wire at our sets. I can think of several sets where wire has it's merit. But I don't know how the break force was established for the wire sizes. Straight pull? Looped? I know a kink or ding would greatly affect the outcome of the test. But I'll give you some of the most common AWG sizes and their break force listed in this manual.

16AWG=75 lbs/ 14=119 lbs/ 12=197 lbs/ 10=314 lbs/ 8=480 lbs. (4/0=over three tons)

Just thought this might be something to kick around while you're constructing your sets.

Frank.

#25824 - 01/25/18 01:58 PM Re: AWG [Re: FLSH ETR]
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
I know NOTHING about solar power stuff--BUT--is the point of asking/giving the "break force" of the wire have anything to do with the notion that most solar collectors are mounted outside, in the wind---and thus subject to moving a little bit?

Ron

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.