Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#25841 - 02/12/18 08:46 AM One regret
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
First off, HAPPY BIRTHDAY Hal!! Welcome to the autumn years of your life.

There are times when we reflect on some of the 'woulda, coulda, shoulda's' in our lives. Just wondering if you, Hal, or any others on this site, would share that one moment when we didn't answer the door when opportunity knocked. Mine? I wish I would have learned the game of chess. My dad tried to teach me, but my dumb ass was always too busy with 'more important' things. I could have spent more quality time with him when he was in the winter years of his life.

Frank.

#25844 - 02/12/18 07:02 PM Re: One regret [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Very good topic.

Frank, yes that would have been good for you and Dad to match wits. Chess is a good game, very simple rules, once you know the pieces, and what they can and can't do. We had a little "chess club" while I was in high school. We always had the boards set up, back in the corner of the library, where we could concentrate.

Just thinking about it now, probably the easiest way to learn would be to just ask someone to play a game with you 1 on 1. Have him/her explain the rules, for each piece.

There for a while, I played online a good bit, Yahoo Games. That will match you up against another real person. Just stay away from the "timed games", sometimes you might only have a chance to make 2 moves, times up, and you lose!

#25847 - 02/13/18 10:30 PM Re: One regret [Re: FLSH ETR]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I wish I had bought a thousand dollars worth of Microsoft stock 30 years ago.

#25849 - 02/14/18 08:40 AM Re: One regret [Re: FLSH ETR]
ron finewood Online   content

Loc: palmyra, new york
If you had done that, Hal, then you probably wouldn't be writing all those good articles for us poor people to read. You'd probably be checking Beaver traps in a heated Pontoon boat.

Ron

#25850 - 02/14/18 09:29 AM Re: One regret [Re: FLSH ETR]
Minky Vibe Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: OHIO
I'm still a young guy (40). But I hang around old farts in their autumn years a lot. I've learned that money isn't everything. You can't buy more time so live now as if I were in my winter years. Old farts in their autumn/winter years are wise due to the fact that they already learned the hard way in some cases. So I've learned to listen more and talk less. I wish I would've done so sooner.

Oh and Happy Belated Birthday Hal. smile

Edited by Minky Vibe (02/14/18 09:31 AM)

#25902 - 03/27/18 06:06 PM Re: One regret [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Iím sure some of you folks can relate to this little comment.

A few years ago I noticed that my wife and I didnít exactly see eye-to-eye.

Back in 2011. I went to an attorney and had my ďlast will and testamentĒ made up, with a living will and medical power of attorney. I was 46 years old at the time, everyone should have a will. (That would be another good topic.) Anyway, after we got finished talking about my will and all, I told him that the wife and I werenít getting along the best. I just told him that I was about halfway thinking about getting a divorce.

Well, the lawyer kind of brushed it off, he said something like: ďOh, you 2 can work things out.Ē I told him that I hope we can too, but I just didnít like the way things were going.

Time passed, the wife and I were getting along ok, then it kind of creeped up on me, things were going downhill. It was obvious to our family and friends. We didnít have any relationship, basically we lived at the same address. I wasnít happy, the wife wasnít happy, our daughter acted like she was mad at the world.

I kept telling myself: Gotta do whatís best for our little girl. Weíll work things out. Things will get better. . . they damn sure canít get any worse!

My buddy Wardney gave me some of the best advice that Iíve ever received, something like this: ďIf the 2 of you canít get along, thereís no need for both of you to be miserable the rest of your lives.Ē

Long story short, I had appointments with 5 different attorneys, in 3 different counties. When it was all said and done, the wife and I were married better than 20 years, so, I guess thatís not too bad. Itís cost me a shitload of money, but I have a better relationship with my daughter today, than weíve had for 5 years. My daughter works for me part-time, I get to see her smile and laugh 5 days per week now. Itís a good feeling when I hear my little girl say: Love you too.

My biggest regret here in recent years is putting off the divorce, as long as I did. Life is short!

It took a while, but I found a very nice woman. We've only known each other about 35 years, but if she's good to me, I'll treat her like gold. And my daughter loves her too! So, win/win situation.

#25903 - 03/28/18 04:05 PM Re: One regret [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Offline

So you finally found this nice lady, but you've known her for 35 years!? Wow dude, you've been sniffin' skunky lure too long! grin

Frank.

#25904 - 03/29/18 05:35 PM Re: One regret [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

No, you're reading too much between the lines. I first met the girl 30 some years ago.

Long story, but her marriage was very similar to mine. Our daughters were best friends, and graduated high school together.

I won't go into details, but I just recently found out that she was divorced. What's in the past is water under the bridge. I will tell you this real quick, I didn't have anything to do with her divorce, and she didn't have anything to do with mine!

Not sure how this vertical picture will load? But that's her, honest, sincere and genuine. If she's good to me, I'll treat her like gold. Promise!

#25905 - 03/29/18 10:06 PM Re: One regret [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Offline

And if you ain't good to her, be prepared to get a swift kick in the oompa-loompas!! Just sayin'. grin

Frank.

#25906 - 03/30/18 07:52 PM Re: One regret [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Frank, let your mind rest easy about that deal, the young lady is in very good hands!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.