Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line forum

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#25884 - 03/07/18 05:04 PM Beaver and Otter
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
Well, the season for the water critters ends at my North New York camp on April 7th. Last time I was there, in mid February, I augered a hole in the lake ice and hit water at about 24" down. I am hoping the ice has melted away from the shores by around March 25th or so, as I plan on venturing up there to see what I can see. Hopefully there will be a few Beavers crawling out to look around and a couple of Otters out for a swim. I have no plans to chop any ice, so I sure hope there is some open water by then. Also, the logging roads are not plowed, so I hope the snow is down enough to drive back in a ways, because I don't have a snow sled. Time will tell.

Ron

#25885 - 03/08/18 06:01 AM Re: Beaver and Otter [Re: ron finewood]
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
I was ice fishing last week. The auger almost didn't make it through. About 3 feet of ice. Deeper than my arm is long. Don't ask how I know. Snow is still crotch deep here but a good crust is forming. Some rivers have started to flow. i've seen otters on the ice.

An April otter musn't be worth much.

#25886 - 03/08/18 03:04 PM Re: Beaver and Otter [Re: ron finewood]
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
Musher----are you saying that Spring Otter are past their prime? Not worth setting for?

Ron

#25887 - 03/09/18 05:03 AM Re: Beaver and Otter [Re: ron finewood]
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
Yep. A prime otter is going for about $25 now - if it sells.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.