Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 11 of 12 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#26350 - 10/23/18 08:23 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: Hal]
Dfabs Online   content

Loc: Morgantown, West Virginia
Originally Posted By: Hal
And I'm glad I don't have to fool around with bears!!!

Just bobcats that like to hide under your buggy. Lol
Iím yet to hold a bear, but my day is coming. Iím not looking forward to it. I was really close last year, and thank god, he missed the pan. I had one thrash a hay set, and there was still snow on the ground so I got to see how close I came. Iím pretty sure if one steps in one of those K9 Extremes, itís gonna be waiting on me.

#26351 - 10/23/18 08:26 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: Dfabs]
Dfabs Online   content

One thing I canít figure out, is why we donít have any porcupines around here. Iím not complaining, but if I drive about an hour and a half north into PA, you see quite a few of them dead alongside the road. That just doesnít seem very far away to not have them here at all.

#26352 - 10/24/18 05:54 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
If your trap is staked solid, it is going to be tough to hold onto a bear. JC Connor told me that he held a bear in a jake trap. I believe it. But I have caught a lot of bears a jake trap would not have held.

I really like it when I see my cable past the wrist of a bear. Any lower, I shoot quick.

#26353 - 10/24/18 07:16 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: musher]
Dfabs Online   content

A self release definitely wonít hurt my feelings. Iíve been seeing quite a few pics lately around here of guys holding them in the 100-150lb range though. Andy Weiser holds one thatís about 200lb in a #3 Montana on his video. Also just saw one in an MB550 over on Tman. I hope my day never comes. I have one section of my line thatís loaded with bear.

#26354 - 10/24/18 08:04 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I'll tell you, trapping up on the mountain around camera #2 and #3, would be a hard decision to make. You see, once you leave the County road, that's pretty much a 4WD dead-end road. Lots of it is a Low 4-WD road. One way in, one way out. It's a 2 and a half hour trapline, if things go good.

Honestly, I'm not seeing much fur on the cameras. The last check of camera #2, that was a 6-week check, and I had 1 (one) bobcat picture. As well as I remember, about 3 fox pictures, 1 coyote picture, several coon pictures, and 8 or 10 bear pictures. Very few deer pictures.

From what I've seen, there's not much food on the mountain. The place was timbered hard, 20 years ago, the oak trees are gone. Grapes, where I've been didn't do anything. I've not seen any gum berries.

All together on Camera #2, in the last 10 weeks, I've had 2 bobcat pictures. And very well could have been the same cat. Very slim pickins.

#26357 - 10/30/18 10:05 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

That's a nice bear. Camera #4.

#26366 - 11/10/18 07:47 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Note to self, checked cameras #2 and 3, on 11/8/18.

#26384 - 12/02/18 09:04 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, sorry I can't post any pictures now. This computer has a mind of it's own. It shut down a while back, and I've got something botched up! I'll try to get it fixed in a day or 2.

I've been checking my cameras, I've got a pile of pictures! I'll try to give you a run down on what pictures that I remember. I've got bear pictures on all 4 cameras. I've got pictures of a really nice bear on camera #2, he'll go over 300#. We had snow on the ground the first day of buck season (bear season was also in), I crossed the big bear's track. Didn't find it till about an hour before dark, not enough time to mess with him. It was warm up high, the snow melted off of the mountain before it did down low.

WV's rifle buck season ended yesterday, our regular bear season comes in tomorrow. We can run them with dogs till December 31st.

Before the WV DNR sends out their official report on the deer kill, report and stats, I'll give you my take on the 2018 deer season.

Above in this thread or last years "deer thread" ?, I predicted that the 2018 deer kill would be down, compared to the 2017 kill. My opinion, here in Hardy county it will be down. Not sure about statewide, but in this area it will be down.

The DNR has a very unique way of explaining why our deer season was ideal and right on target for the numbers, or if the season sucked. I really think the DNR will need to pull out all of the stops for this past buck season. Reasons and or excuses why our deer kill was down. They'll mention the weather, mast crop, high tide and all. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they'd mention the recent impact of NASA's Insight probe on the surface of Mars. lol

Personally I had a good season, I scoped over 3 bucks the first day, 2 spikes and a 4-pt. Kicked out another little buck the second day. All together I got to see 7 different bucks. I did take pictures of the one little buck. Otherwise, I've only fired one shot. A friend and I went out and got a nice doe. Honestly, I didn't deer hunt that much, I was up on the mountain trying to find that bear. After working inside with a roof over my head for 10 months out of the year, I just like to get out. If I kill something that's fine, if I don't that's fine too.

Above we were talking about how long a deer carcass would last, with the critters and stuff working on it. Tuesday, the second day of season I found a dead 4-pt. A guy made a less than perfect shot, tracked it 50 or 75 yards and said the hell with it. Chalked it up as a miss. That sucks when people don't follow up their shot! Anyway, the deer had been there for less than 24 hours, birds had already found it. Buzzards, crows, ravens, maybe eagles?

I thought about putting a camera on it, but I didn't. I went out and checked it, about 10 days later, other than it's head and neck, the rest of it is pretty much gone. A bear had dragged it about 20 yards.

As soon as I get this computer squared up, I'll show you some pictures.

#26388 - 12/10/18 06:26 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#26483 - 01/30/19 08:00 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, sorry I still can't post pictures. Hopefully my daughter will have time tomorrow to get my home computer fixed.

I checked camera #4 the other day. I do have 2 buck deer that still have both antlers. One is a spike, the other one is at least a 5 point, maybe 11 or 12 inches wide. Both bucks were working on the salt block. As well as I can tell, there are 8 or 9 does and fawns coming in pretty regular too.

Also got a nice picture of a flock of turkeys on that camera, about 20 head. Hens and last springs little ones I guess? I couldn't see any beards on any of them.

Stopped at Wardney's the other day, he's got 2 deer skulls laying on the table outside. Two nice bucks that he or the boys found dead while out hunting, both deer died way before season, they both still have part of the velvet on their antlers.

Here in Hardy Co. the 2018 buck kill was up, I think it was 12 deer more than the 2017 buck harvest. After talking to folks, it seems like people hunting on the western and northern sides of the county had an average season. Folks hunting south and west didn't fair as well.

I was up on the mountain east of town this morning, we've got a good tracking snow up there. I broke track for about 8 miles, 3 deer ran across the road in front of me, those 3 sets of deer tracks were the only ones that I crossed. Also tracked a pair of coyotes, just passing through, still trotting south. And a very small bobcat.

Page 11 of 12 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.