Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#26157 - 08/13/18 05:50 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
Dfabs Online   content

Loc: Morgantown, West Virginia
That buck in the back in the last picture is a dandy for a WV buck, Tim. Looks like he is missing his brows on both sides. No brows is a very common trait where I hunt on Coopers Rock State Forest too. I donít see it as much on a lot of our other properties, but we see a lot of them like that on Coopers.

#26158 - 08/14/18 10:34 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
No, he's not as big as you think. Part of it is the way he's standing. He's perked up.

It does have nice points, not much mass. As well as I can tell it's a 7-point, I'll guess him at 14, maybe 15 inches wide?

I had a small 6 or 8 point on this camera until February or March? More than likely, he's one of the 2 in this picture? Just my guess, I'd say if they make it till December, that would put them at 2.5 years old.

We had a really good acorn crop last fall, and not much winter. Look at his hams and shoulders, our deer should have wintered over very good. Who knows?, maybe that mineral salt block is helping their antlers? It can't hurt.

#26162 - 08/17/18 06:36 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, I checked the 3 mountain cameras yesterday, it had been a month since the last check. Camera 1, had 469 pictures. #2, 195. #3, only 31 pictures.

#26197 - 08/29/18 06:41 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I checked camera #4 yesterday, nothing special antler wise. Here's one of the very few daytime pictures.

I've mentioned this before, about getting game and furbearer reports from the mailman, the trash guys, the newspaper folks, etc.

It's been 5 or 6 weeks ago, the newspaper guy (Dave) told me about a herd of buck deer that he'd been seeing on his farm. Dave has the farm leased, the man farming the place planted 12 acres of alfalfa between the house and the road.

When Dave first told me about the bucks, he had 10 bucks, all together in that alfalfa patch. He said 3 or 4 of them had nice racks. Since then, Dave said the deer are coming in, mixed up, bucks and does and fawns.

Biologist Teet's stopped by the other day, we were talking about it. He drove by the alfalfa patch the other evening, he said there were 21 deer in that field. Mr. Teet's lives over in that area, he told me that the biggest buck, would score 125 inches +/-. He said he's a pretty buck!

#26217 - 09/09/18 07:49 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Here's a picture of Leon with a very nice bull elk. Leon is my "dog food man" (I order dog feed from him for here at the store). He lives over in the next county, we're also friends on facebook. These are the kind of pictures my friends post. Not sure what state he's hunting, but that is one pretty animal!

I checked camera #4 the other day, the only buck I had was a spike, with maybe 7 inch spikes? I haven't checked the other cameras since 8/16/18. I'll check them when I get a chance, from what I was told, I'll need a chainsaw.

#26242 - 09/17/18 03:02 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, I checked cameras #1 and #2 the other day, that was 4 weeks between checks. Had a pile of pictures!

Note to self: Replaced batteries in Camera #1,

We sawed 2 little trees out of the road, to get to camera #2. Didn't have time to cut the trash out of the road on out to camera #3. It's a tangled up mess!

I had bear and cubs on both cameras, but look at this buck, on camera #1. Look at it's ribs and it's hams. That deer is sick! CWD maybe?

#26243 - 09/17/18 03:37 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#26257 - 09/19/18 05:46 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I think this is the same deer as above, notice his front legs, his knees. "Blue tongue" maybe ? This picture was taken 9/2/18.

#26259 - 09/20/18 01:08 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Pretty lean bears for this time of year.

What is blue tongue and the knee thing?

#26260 - 09/20/18 06:59 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Here is a link:

https://fw.ky.gov/Wildlife/Pages/Epizootic-Hemorrhagic-Disease-(EHD)-and-Blue-Tongue-in-White-tailed-Deer.aspx

https://www.buckmanager.com/2007/09/23/blue-tongue-in-white-tailed-deer/

I've mentioned "blue tongue" in one of the other deer threads, not sure which one? A couple of years ago, the DNR counted, as well as I remember, up over 100 deer carcasses across the mountain from where I live. As the crow flies, that would be less than 20 miles from here.

I do remember some of the DOH guys telling me that the one hollow, "stinked like hell". From what they told me, there was a dead, rotten smell up that hollow for miles. The same area where the DNR counted dead animals.

The picture above, I've let several of my friends look at it, that deer is sick! Next time Biologist Teet's is in, I'll ask his theory.

I showed it to my buddy Steve today, he's found 2 deer carcasses on his property, within the last month or so? One was near his pond, the other near the creek. I've heard rumor of other folks finding dead deer. I don't know.

Biologist Teet's told me about 1 buck that he tagged at his office, a year or 2 ago. He said that it had a nice rack of horns, and as well as I remember he said that the deer would have weighed someplace around 75 pounds. Maybe it was 65 ?

Mr. Teet's showed me a picture of it on his phone, it was nothing but a skeleton.

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.