Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#25941 - 04/16/18 02:58 PM 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread.
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV

#25942 - 04/16/18 05:55 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#25943 - 04/17/18 05:03 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
Looks like the gang is all there!

#25944 - 04/17/18 06:34 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I checked the 3 mountain cameras 4/15/18, a total of 300 plus pictures.

This picture below is the last one of a deer with antlers. The cameras are in place, we'll watch the horns sprout out again.

#25945 - 04/17/18 09:25 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Make that 'antler'. I blew up your pic to 500%. He's only got one antler remaining. You might get a pic of it falling off! grin

Frank.

#25946 - 04/17/18 11:31 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Wow.

#25947 - 04/19/18 06:10 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#25948 - 04/19/18 08:58 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
ron finewood Online   content

Loc: palmyra, new york
Redsnow--you should put a little stink under that rock in the lower, left corner that the Bear and Deer checked out. Next time the Bobcat or the Canine came through, it would be interesting to see if they checked it out, too. The way the Deer and Bear apparently sniffed it--my guess is that some critter already watered it down!!

Ron

#25949 - 04/20/18 09:35 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Ron, look at the 2017 deer thread. I glanced at that thread yesterday, I think my pictures start on page 14 or 15. Before that I was using Photobucket, and then Photobucket went to hell on us. Without the pictures the thread isn't worth much.

I did lure those 2 rocks on the left side of the road, it's been 6 months since I've refreshed.

Most of my trail cam pictures are taken after dark. Never did really add up the total pictures, I'll guess I'm getting somewhere around 1,000 per month, total.

#25950 - 04/21/18 05:26 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
musher Offline

RE: photobucket

The following works. I don't know how "safe" it is but it works. You can also turn it on/off at will. I copied it from a site that got it from a site. (What can go wrong!?)

You copy the link for your browser and follow the instructions. Easy-peasy and quick.

Here it is:

There are Free Add-Ons available for both Chrome and Firefox, which will let you choose to see the original photo instead of the "ransom block" image, throughout the Internet.

For Chrome - chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... aedg?hl=en

Then search for PHOTOBUCKET

for Firefox - addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-fix/

With this, you can see everyone's old photobucket images in context on every thread and every website.

#25951 - 04/24/18 10:48 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Not sure? Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I tinkered around with the GoogleChrome thing this morning, more or less wasted 30 minutes to look at 3 of my pictures from the "2017 deer thread".

Here on my work computer, they don't show up now.

Seems like every time that I've used Photobucket, it really slows down the computer. Plus all of their popup adds, all of that junk.

Honestly, just looking at Photobucket as a business, if. . .If they'd offer a one time payment of say $25 to restore my pictures, I'd write them a check today. And I'll bet that a lot of other people would too.

Here on this forum we've had some good discussions, without the pictures, things are just hard to understand. Think about the threads with the honeybees and this and that, there was a good bit of effort put into the discussions. If you get right down to it, there was some very good information lost.

#25952 - 04/25/18 05:04 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
musher Offline

I used the Firefox one. Loaded it and all my stuff reappeared. It took seconds to do.

#25953 - 04/25/18 09:47 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
keef Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: MO
Redsnow do you have a treestand on the road where you get a lot of your pictures? Can't believe the variety of species you have on that camera. I'd call it the "zoo" camera.

#25954 - 04/26/18 09:36 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: musher]
Hal Online   content

Originally Posted By: musher
I used the Firefox one. Loaded it and all my stuff reappeared.

Yes, but only for you on your computer. Everyone else is still looking at that Photobucket place holder that appears in the place of all the photobucket photos.

#25955 - 04/26/18 10:30 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

No, I haven't hunted from a treestand for better than 25 years. I like to move around.

The next time I check the mountain cameras, I'll take a picture of that area with my regular camera, would help to explain what's going on at the lured rock camera.

If you look at the pictures from the camera with the turkey, bobcat, bear, off to the left is a "rock slide", there is a ledge, maybe 50 feet tall in spots. Nothing can come or go in that area. Off to the right of the camera, there is nothing but rocks. Deer can't get through that area, until you go uphill 75 yards or so.

I zapped it with my rangefinder the other day, ridge to ridge, level, it's about 250 yards across that hollow (that's from the road).

I'll tell you about that turkey, that camera has been in place for a year, that's the first time I've got a turkey picture. I had 3 total. This time of year gobblers will spread out, find their own little area. I've showed that picture to several of my friends, my opinion, there is a very good chance the ole boy will end up in a bobcat turd.

#25956 - 04/26/18 02:32 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: Hal]
musher Offline

Originally Posted By: Hal
I used the Firefox one. Loaded it and all my stuff reappeared.

Yes, but only for you on your computer. Everyone else is still looking at that Photobucket place holder that appears in the place of all the photobucket photos.

Quite true,but my computer is the one I 'm looking at! The link is not a fix all. Every individual has to download the add-on for themselves so that they can see their photos as well as the photos of others that have posted via Photobucket.

#25957 - 04/26/18 03:01 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Long story short, Photobucket went to hell on us.

I'll try the firefox thing later.

#25958 - 04/27/18 01:26 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: musher]
Hal Online   content

Quite true,but my computer is the one I 'm looking at! The link is not a fix all. Every individual has to download the add-on for themselves so that they can see their photos as well as the photos of others that have posted via Photobucket.

I'm not prepared to ask every user of this site to make that download. For the vast, vast majority of the photos in our archives, I took the time to download the photos to this site so they would be viewable in just such a situation as this. (Call it foresight if you will.) I did not make the archives dependent on Photobucket or any other hosting site. And I not prepared to institute a photobucket work around now. Any photos that do not seem to be archive material are (and will continue to be) expendable. If they disapper, then the whole thread can disappear, with no ill effect.

#25959 - 04/30/18 06:28 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I checked the camera at Wardney's salt lick yesterday. From April 7th till the 29th, it had taken 395 pictures. Mostly nighttime pictures.

As well as I can tell, there are 4 buck deer running together. Still lots of fighting going on.

#25960 - 04/30/18 03:59 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#25961 - 04/30/18 04:16 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#25962 - 04/30/18 04:23 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#25963 - 05/01/18 05:03 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
musher Offline

Yours must be the only salt block around or else you have a healthy deer population. Great photos!

#25964 - 05/02/18 06:32 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

In a way we have a healthy deer herd, it depends on where you are. I think it was 2 years ago the disease "Blue Tongue" killed a bunch of deer on the eastern side of my home county, Hardy Co. The DNR confirmed hundreds of dead deer. There were also a pile of dead deer found here on my side of the county too.

Our local deer population peaked back in the 80's, it's been in a steady decline since. Some of this is hard to believe, but years ago I could drive up on that hump on the McNeil farm, late in the evening and count over 100 deer from one spot. Up on the mountain where I have my "lured rock" camera, the first day of buck season, on a still, calm morning, you would hear over 100 rifle shots before Noon!

I could take you for a ride up the Fork, it wouldn't be anything special to count over 100 deer, between here and the county line. 25 miles. That was years ago.

It seems that our deer did bunch up, or yard up this year. Just about all of them are down along the river bottoms.

My #3 camera, up on the mountain, I haven't got a deer picture on it, for the last 2 checks. There are very few deer on that mountain. I'll have bear pictures on that camera next check. And I'm sure I'll have bear pictures on my lured rock camera too.

#25965 - 05/02/18 07:15 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I was running short on time this morning, I'll try to fill in the holes.

Last fall I talked to a family that lives near the McNeil farm, that I mentioned above, we were talking about deer. I agree with them, on a good evening, mid summer, you'd be lucky to see a dozen or 15 deer. Big big change!

As far as driving up the Fork Rd and seeing 100 plus deer, that's a thing of the past.

As far as hearing 100 shots before Noon, on the first day of buck season, that's a thing of the past.

I'll tell you this real quick, maybe 15 years ago?, I was talking to my buddy Wardney and told him that we just didn't have the deer like we did have. Wardney, about half way argued with me, and said that they were still stacking them up.

I told him, sure you guys hunting down along the river bottoms are still seeing deer, get up in the mountains and see what you think. It's a whole different game!

Wardney and I talked, maybe 5 years later, and agreed with me. We don't have the deer along the river bottoms like we did before, not now.

Up where I have my "lured rock" camera, that property is only 440 acres, I remember years where there were 20 or 25 legal bucks harvested on that place. Bucks that I know of, and as far as I know there were 3 killed on the same property last season. Very big change!

The "lured rock" camera area, is unique, there are fields below and above, the property. When the sun comes up, the deer go to the woods. Very good hunting, or it was 20 years ago.

You see, back years ago here in WV, our deer license allowed each hunter, 1 buck deer. Then, doe permits were issued, so many per county, by more or less a drawing system. Today, I can buy 3 "Antlerless permits", for a rifle. Add in all of the additional licences for bow, muzzeloader, etc. If I'd buy them all I can legally harvest, 9 deer.

Long story short, we've shot the ass off of our deer for the last 25 years.

If you look at the pictures above, about half of the deer in that one picture are adult does, that should be heavy with fawns. So, our population should "rebound".

#25966 - 05/03/18 04:49 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
musher Offline

Are the females heavy with fawns?

Do you have more or less hunters? How about habitat?

In terms of deer hunting: what was better? The old days withn lots of deer/buck only/one deer orm now?

Thanks. Snow is melting here but I can't get into the bush now.

#25967 - 05/03/18 09:15 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]

I talked to a local at my "up North" camp yesterday. He said that there is still several inches of ice on the logging roads, topped with a few inches of snow--and knee deep snow in the woods yet. However, the temps are now getting into the 50's and 60's F. there, so it won't be much longer until I can get into the woods. I do wonder how all the critters manage to have their young in such adverse conditions. Around home, people are mowing their lawns already.

Ron

#25968 - 05/04/18 06:30 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, I talked to my Coke Cola guy yesterday, he's already seen a pair of fawns, just this week. Ricky and I talk more about outdoor stuff than we do soda. He lives in western Maryland. He also said he'd found 3 more shed antlers.

The hunting pressure in this area is way down from what it was years ago. Here at the store where I work, we sell hunting licenses, you get to meet the same folks year after year. You don't really know each other, but some of them I'll recognize, or by their address or their accent, etc.

In the past few years, I've had a lot of these non-residents come to me and say something like this: "Well, we talked about it at camp last night, we've hunted here for 20 years and this is the worst season we've ever had. Hell, we've got more deer at home, we're not coming back next year."

#25969 - 05/05/18 06:36 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, the DOH guys from Grant co. stopped by yesterday, that's the county west of me. They were on the roadkill project, they picked up 3 yesterday. Said 1 doe had 2 fawns in her, he said they already had spots and were about 18" long. I think they have more deer than we do.

Talked to the DOH guy from Hardy Co the other day, he said they'd only picked up 1 roadkill this week, that was Thursday, I think.

As far as habitat, our woods are more open than they were years ago. One thing that I have noticed within the last 5 years, we have new oak sprouts coming up now. Small little trees, maybe 2 feet tall. It seems like before, the deer had trimmed off every little sprout and twig, from the ground up to around 5 feet high. I first noticed that in the county north of here.

We have places here where you can get an honest 150 or 175 yard shot, in the woods. Not talking about ridge to ridge shots, I mean on the ground. Other places, you're lucky to get a 15 yard shot. It just depends.

#25970 - 05/06/18 05:40 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
musher Offline

Wifey and I went for a drive to Timmys for a coffee after supper yesterday. We wanted to see the water level, which is close to as high as we want it, and maybe see a few deer.

We saw 9. This is in about a 50 km. drive. Some looked fine and others were all ribs.

I'd say the snow is half gone in the bush. You will see ground under all the trees but patches of snow up to 2 feet deep in the other spots. Pussy willows are trying to come out.

#25971 - 05/06/18 09:24 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Your deer probably weigh 300 pounds.

A biologist told me that deer "winter kill" can occur into April and May. I was out for a walk last week, the dog came back to me covered in deer hair and stinky as hell. I didn't go looking for the carcass. Our deer season ended December 31st. So who knows?

Above you asked what's better, lots of deer or not so many deer. Hard question to answer! It depends.

A lot of folks around here were used to walking 50 yards from their truck, sitting on a rock from a little before daylight and killing a buck before 9 am. That does NOT happen as often as it did years ago.

I'll tell you this from years ago, it was a day that I'll never forget. A day that I'll never experience again in my lifetime.

I parked my old 78 Jeep on top of the mountain a little before daylight. I dropped off on the east side of the mountain and hunted south, worked my way back up to the top, and hunted on back north. I always like to find a good spot and watch, the last 45 minutes of daylight. I remember where I was watching, the old jeep was about a mile away.

I made a pretty good circle that day, all together I scoped over 6 different buck deer. 2 bucks were together, the other 4 were singles. I killed 1, once you kill it, you're finished!

I know of a man that hunted basically the same area this past season, from what I was told, he hunted up there for a week and didn't see a deer. Not 1 single deer.

I don't know how he "hunted", there are deer up there, just not like they were years ago. We don't have the people in the woods today, keeping the deer moving like we did before.

Thinking about this, if someone would ask me to take their kid out deer hunting, I'd never take him up on the mountain. That would be a big mistake, it'd be boring as heck for the kid. If I take a kid out hunting, I'm going to put him in the hot spots.

#25972 - 05/06/18 03:08 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

Originally Posted By: redsnow
Above you asked what's better, lots of deer or not so many deer. Hard question to answer! It depends.

I'll weigh in on that. About ten years ago, deer were thicker around here than rats. People couldn't grow a garden without the deer eating it off. And no telling how much farmers lost to the deer. One fellow climbed up in his tree stand on opening morning and killed 7 deer before 10:00. That was totally illegal but they did not go to waste. The DOW finally recognized the problem and made the bag more liberal. Of course the "deer hunters" whined that they weren't seeing or killing so many deer. But they weren't the ones who had to live day-to-day with the damn things.

#25973 - 05/07/18 06:36 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I checked camera 4 yesterday, 105 pictures, 7 days.

#25974 - 05/07/18 11:04 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Deer are expensive, any way that you look at them.

As far as crop damage, from what I've ran into, and what farmers and DNR folks are telling me, we have more damage from bear today than we do deer. If the bear are in the corn field, the deer will stay out.

The DNR will issue "crop damage" permits for deer and bear.

As far as I know there hasn't been a deer in our garden for 10 years of more. Last fall there was a bushel of apples under the one tree, I think all of them froze and rotted.

Years ago I read some study or report about whitetail deer, as well as I remember it said that 75% of deer will die within 1.5 miles of where they were born. The deer here in the valley have an easy life, compared to the deer living at 3,000 feet in elevation.

Friends and I have talked about this, if we kill off all of our breeders on top of the mountain, it's going to be years and years before other deer move up there to replace them.

I'll add more later.

#25975 - 05/07/18 04:00 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Here's a picture from yesterday. If the saltblock would be on the ground, it'd dissolve in a day or 2. Not sure how long it's been sitting on the stump? Months and months!

Long story and hard to explain, but years ago around here it was a joke, each and every year we had another "Record Deer Kill", according to the DNE.

A couple of us were talking to the local DNR biologist one day, and I told him something like this: You know as well as I do that we don't have as many deer today as we did 10 years ago! He said something like this: You're probably right, but you guys have been killing 3, 4 or 5 bucks every season! YOU CAN'T DO THAT!

Trust me, he knew what was going on! What do you say?

I'll give you my take on the deer population, I first noticed the population dropped on top of the mountains first. Then it was down in the ridges, and now down along the river bottom.

If I was going to take out a kid, first time hunter, I'd take him to the river bottom.

If you remember from the 2017 deer thread, I mentioned some guys hunting a farm beside the river. Their theory is, kill all of the does that you want, don't kill any bucks unless it's a trophy.

Last season, as well as I remember, they killed 15 or 18 female deer, not a single buck. They passed up some small bucks.

Honestly, that farm/area that they were hunting was one of the best deer areas around these parts! We'll sit back and watch, but I'm going to guess, they will have very slim pickings this coming season! Our local deer harvest will be down again this coming year!

If you remove 15 adult breeders from an area, that's a good many deer total, after fawning season.

We will see.

#25976 - 05/08/18 05:01 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
musher Offline

"If you remove 15 adult breeders from an area, that's a good many deer total, after fawning season."

And breeding bucks have no one to play with so they move on.

I find that, as a whole, big game hunters are very short sighted.

It is the same here with moose calves and female moose. It is as if they HAVE to kill something or the larder will be bare.

#25977 - 05/11/18 06:35 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Some folks are like that. I know a guy, I'll tell you up front he's an outlaw, poacher, game hog, etc. He can't go out and enjoy a day in the woods, unless he kills something. If he doesn't kill something, he acts like he's pissed at the world.

Guys like him make the rest of us look bad. The DNR will nail him one of these days!

The DNR sets our bag limit, nearly all of the property in this area is privately owned. So the bag limit is up to the landowner, which is good.

Our game laws vary, depending on the county, or region of the state. Here in Hardy county, if I buy all of the different licenses, I can legally kill 2 buck deer, and 3 antlerless deer per season, that's just with a rifle. It's the same for residents and non-residents. I won't get into archery and black powder laws.

Within the last 5 or 10 years, about all of the local hunting clubs asked their members to back off on killing does. We have areas where the deer population is nearly the same as it was 20 years ago, and we have other areas, where the deer population is very small.

#25978 - 05/11/18 07:48 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]

Here in the Finger Lakes region of New York, it is mostly farm country, along with a zillion housing tracks. When I was a kid on the farm, [ the 50's ] Dad would drive the tractor back home to announce that he just saw a deer!! It was a rarity to see one. Now, they feed like cattle in the mornings and evenings in the corn, soybean and hay fields. There are so many that a few years ago, the local government had a "bait and shoot" program in one area to eradicate as many deer as possible, until the deer lovers complained so much that it was ended.

Ron

#25979 - 05/12/18 01:45 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

Originally Posted By: redsnow
...nearly all of the property in this area is privately owned. So the bag limit is up to the landowner...

Man, I've never heard of that before. So if the landowners says you can kill 10 deer, you can just start dropping them?

#25980 - 05/12/18 03:45 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: Hal]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA

Finally got this thing to accept my pics. Changed cameras. Both cameras are identical to each other, but purchased a couple of months apart. Pics from one can't be loaded here. Seems this one plays nice with the site. Here's a couple of different critters working the area. Had whitetails here with snow on the ground but they seem to have disappeared with the snow. I'll stay vigilant.

Frank.

#25981 - 05/14/18 06:18 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, I checked the camera at Wardney's salt lick yesterday. I had 157 pics, that was a 7 day check. We've had some very strong winds off and on, I had more "empty" pictures than normal. Blowing the tree limbs around, setting off the camera. The camera is mounted on a cedar tree, I hate to cut that limb out of the way, my camera would stick out like a sore thumb.

This is the best daytime picture, I think the one buck has about 3 inches of horn so far.

"Man, I've never heard of that before. So if the landowners says you can kill 10 deer, you can just start dropping them?"

No, that's not what I meant. Anyone hunting on private land needs the landowner's permission. If the landowner tells you not to kill female deer, you'd best not kill any females.

The property I mentioned above, where the guys killed 15 or 18 does last season, that was up to the landowner. He could have told them to back off. I know the man, I expect him to tell his guys to cut them some slack before long.

#25982 - 05/14/18 02:37 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Lots of fighting going on.

#25983 - 05/18/18 06:36 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#25986 - 05/20/18 07:10 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I checked the 3 mountain cameras yesterday, it had been 34 days since I'd changed sd cards. All together a total of 574 pictures. Had a bunch of "empty" pictures on camera #2, that camera is up high on the west side of the mountain, a couple of the storms that we've had lately, had wind gusts up to 50 or 60 MPH.

Lots of bear pictures, picture of a bobcat's butt, 1 coyote picture. Several coon pics, one pic of a gray fox and coon, nearly nose to nose. Who knows what happened after that?

Biologist Teet's stopped by the other day, we had a good talk. I really hadn't noticed it, but most of our deer still have their "winter coat". We had a really good acorn crop last fall, we still have good acorns laying on the ground, sprouting. And we've got a bunch of little oak trees, 6 inches tall coming up.

Mr Teet's said it's like we had more acorns than critters to eat all of them.

I'll add more pics later.

#25987 - 05/20/18 08:13 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#26016 - 05/28/18 06:31 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I checked the camera at Wardney's salt lick yesterday, in 2 weeks time it'd taken 250 plus pictures. Nearly all of them are night time pics. As well as I can tell the adult does are still heavy with their fawn(s).

Didn't really have any good buck pictures, the one buck has about 4" of antler so far, about 2/3's as long as it's ear.

Notice how they've got the mud stirred up.

#26017 - 05/29/18 06:24 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#26034 - 06/10/18 08:31 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#26036 - 06/11/18 05:54 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#26037 - 06/13/18 06:39 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#26040 - 06/17/18 08:26 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#26042 - 06/17/18 01:48 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

Reckon those bears are eating many of your fawns?

#26043 - 06/17/18 06:45 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: Hal]
musher Offline

Reckon those bears are eating many of your fawns?

Every one they find, as well as any beaver out of the water

#26044 - 06/18/18 06:41 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Yes, I agree that bear kill quite a few fawns. And I'm sure that the coyotes and bobcats are hunting them pretty hard now too.

I did see my first fawn yesterday, it was about the size of a house cat, just a little bit taller. It wasn't very steady on it's feet.

The mailman and the guys on the trash truck first reported seeing fawns about 3 weeks ago. So give or take, around the 1'st of June.

We've had some wet weather, folks around here are just now starting to make hay. Talked to a man that started cutting hay last Friday. Nobody likes to talk about stuff like this, and I would have never asked if we weren't good friends. I'm not sure how many acres he mowed off, but 5 fawns got caught in his mower. Those guys have some big equipment, and he told me that he was running 8 or 9 MPH. He didn't see a single fawn, just felt it when they hit the rollers.

Just one of those things, there's nothing you can do. You've gotta make hay when the sun shines.

#26045 - 06/21/18 06:43 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, I'm still getting reports from the folks making hay.

Above where I said "Those guys have some big equipment", the man is running a 150 horsepower 4-wheel-drive tractor, pulling a disc-bine that's 13 feet, 6 inches wide. Without getting my calculator, running at 8 or 9 MPH, he can mow an acre of hay in a matter of minutes. In my opinion, those guys are the most efficient farmers in this area.

Talked to a man working another river bottom farm, he said he was right on average (fawn count), compared to past years.

Talked to another bunch working a farm at the base of the mountain, they've not found a single fawn. So they are below average.

Running short on time this morning, wanted to add that there was an adult doe picked up on June, 16th with 2 unborn fawns.

But the majority of fawns should have been born.

But these guys make hay, year after year, on the same property, so that should be a pretty good indication of what's going on. I do the same with fox, coon and rabbits. Coyotes and all.

I will add this, for anyone not familiar with making hay. An adult deer standing in a hay field, here in late June, the only thing that you can see above the grass would be their head and maybe part of their neck. A fawn, ten pounds or so, you just can't see the little turd.

I'm familiar with these farms, there's a little bit more to the story, and I'll be getting more reports.

I'll check cameras, 2, 3 and 4 maybe this weekend. Hopefully we'll have something interesting.

Edited by redsnow (06/21/18 09:52 AM)
Edit Reason: Added.

#26049 - 06/26/18 02:50 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I checked camera #4, Wardney's salt lick, on 6/24/18. About 350 pictures this check. I do have pictures of fawn deer, not many worth posting. I did see another fawn that day, I was in the truck, and I'd say that we spotted each other at the same time, it spun around and took off! I could only see it for a few seconds, but it was running good!

We've had a lot of rain in this area, over 3 inches, in the last 5 days. The rain has shut down the hay making operations. The fawn that I mentioned, it was out in the middle of a hay field, my opinion, it's wild enough, fast enough, it's unlikely that it'll end up in the mower.

Our ground is so wet and sloppy now, I'll check cameras 1, 2 and 3 after we get some sunshine. I don't want to drive up there and cut the road all to hell, just to change sd cards.

#26050 - 06/26/18 04:02 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#26051 - 06/26/18 04:05 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#26052 - 06/26/18 04:18 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#26076 - 07/11/18 06:39 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, I checked camera #4, yesterday, 7/9/18. Camera #4 is about 7 air miles up the creek from here, only had 60 pictures, the set of Energizer "ultimate lithium" batteries finally died, on June 30th. That Stealth camera has been mounted, since June of 2017, with it's original set of batteries. It's taken somewhere around 4,000 pictures. For a $14 set of batteries, that's not bad. About 4 cents per day!

It's on page #2 of the 2017 "deer thread", when I first mounted that camera.

Thanks to the fine folks of Photobucket, the pictures are still visible.

I've been seeing several fawns.

Edited by redsnow (07/11/18 08:10 PM)

#26078 - 07/14/18 06:31 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#26082 - 07/16/18 06:32 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#26083 - 07/16/18 06:33 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
jmbloom3 Offline

Loc: Ohio,Fairfield county

#26084 - 07/16/18 07:04 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: jmbloom3]
musher Offline

Originally Posted By: jmbloom3

Your link does not work.

#26085 - 07/16/18 07:40 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
jmbloom3 Offline

Loc: Ohio,Fairfield county

#26086 - 07/17/18 06:37 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#26087 - 07/17/18 05:03 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#26089 - 07/17/18 06:39 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#26091 - 07/18/18 04:59 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
musher Offline

Those are very lean looking bears. They are very leggy. How is the berry crop so far this year?

#26092 - 07/18/18 06:30 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I really haven't been out that much lately, but from what I've seen, we have a very good raspberry crop. Both red and black. The girlfriend picked the little batch below, behind camera #4, the other morning. All together she's picked about 4 gallons, all within 200 yards of the King's house. We've had a lot of rain, the berries have a good flavor, but they're not super sweet. They sure do make good pies!

Here in the valley, the raspberries are past their peak, up in the mountains around cameras #2 and #3, they are just starting to ripen. Kind of spotty up there, just around the road and skidder paths.

Really haven't been up high enough on the mountains to check on the huckleberries. Mid July, I'd say they are past their peak too. I'll check.

I have noticed the wild grapes up around cameras 2 and 3, they are loaded, but won't be ripe till after a frost. Tame grapes are already the size of a marble. Haven't noticed gum berries yet.

Forgot, look at the picture above dated 7/14/18, with the mommy bear and the little cub down in the right hand corner of the picture. Notice the birch limb up in the left hand corner of the picture, that's why I'm getting all of the "empty" pictures on that camera. Just my guess, compared to my dog, that cub bear weighs less than 20 pounds. More than likely, we'll get it on camera again.

Edited by redsnow (07/18/18 04:29 PM)

#26096 - 07/19/18 05:28 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
musher Offline

It will be a poor berry year here. Too dry. The weather is doing the yo-yo dance again. Mid 30's C. with high humidity. Now 5C. in the morning. Go figure!

I'll take the 5 C. The dogs prefer it also. The good news is that fly season is not as bad as usual.

#26097 - 07/19/18 06:36 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Here you can see the crow with the fawns better, it could be a raven, but I think it's a crow. But read the fawns body language, it's new to them.

This is camera #4, Wardney's salt lick, up at the King's place. I went up after work the other night and spent the night, coming home the next morning, I did see 3 buck deer together. All 3 deer had forks, nothing big.

Notice the trails where I mowed off the weeds, that's where the raspberries came from.

Edited by redsnow (07/19/18 06:58 PM)

#26103 - 07/25/18 06:23 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#26104 - 07/25/18 05:30 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
Dfabs Offline

Loc: Morgantown, West Virginia
That one on the right looks to be a decent buck, Tim. Get any pictures that you can see how wide he is? Looks to be right about his ear tips or maybe a little better to me.
The fawns look good and healthy. Dad has one out at his house right now. The mother got hit by a car a couple of weeks ago, she had a set of twins. By the time we found the mother and realized they were orphans, one of them came right up to Dad so they went and got some calf starter and a bottle, but it wouldnít eat, and it didnít even make it through the night. I think they had already been a couple of days without their mother by then though. The other one never did eat either, but I think it found another doe to start feeding from because it has been two weeks now and itís still around.
My nieces call it Jellybean, and they will go out in the yard and yell for it and it will come running down out of the woods, but it will only get about 6ft or so from you. I was putting gutters on dads new house last week, and she came running down out of the woods and just about ran me over. They sure are cute when they are that small. Mom can get pretty close to her, but only about 3ft. It will be another one of the locals out there. They feed quite a few of them every night. Just walk out in the yard and shake the coffee can and they will follow you to the stump.

#26105 - 07/26/18 06:22 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I had 4 or 5 pictures of them this last check. Both of those bucks antlers are out past their ears, a little bit. Not positive, but there are at least 4 different bucks on this camera, and maybe 6. Not sure?

#26106 - 07/27/18 06:19 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#26111 - 07/30/18 06:31 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Notice the fox pup at the bottom center of the picture. Not sure, but it looks like the doe might be stomping her foot. Didn't have any good buck pictures this time.

#26143 - 08/06/18 06:15 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

First time I've got a bear picture on this camera for months. That stump is about 10 inches wide. Not a very good picture, but notice the mommy bear on the right.

#26147 - 08/07/18 06:07 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#26156 - 08/13/18 05:00 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#26157 - 08/13/18 05:50 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
Dfabs Offline

That buck in the back in the last picture is a dandy for a WV buck, Tim. Looks like he is missing his brows on both sides. No brows is a very common trait where I hunt on Coopers Rock State Forest too. I donít see it as much on a lot of our other properties, but we see a lot of them like that on Coopers.

#26158 - 08/14/18 10:34 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

No, he's not as big as you think. Part of it is the way he's standing. He's perked up.

It does have nice points, not much mass. As well as I can tell it's a 7-point, I'll guess him at 14, maybe 15 inches wide?

I had a small 6 or 8 point on this camera until February or March? More than likely, he's one of the 2 in this picture? Just my guess, I'd say if they make it till December, that would put them at 2.5 years old.

We had a really good acorn crop last fall, and not much winter. Look at his hams and shoulders, our deer should have wintered over very good. Who knows?, maybe that mineral salt block is helping their antlers? It can't hurt.

#26162 - 08/17/18 06:36 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, I checked the 3 mountain cameras yesterday, it had been a month since the last check. Camera 1, had 469 pictures. #2, 195. #3, only 31 pictures.

#26197 - 08/29/18 06:41 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I checked camera #4 yesterday, nothing special antler wise. Here's one of the very few daytime pictures.

I've mentioned this before, about getting game and furbearer reports from the mailman, the trash guys, the newspaper folks, etc.

It's been 5 or 6 weeks ago, the newspaper guy (Dave) told me about a herd of buck deer that he'd been seeing on his farm. Dave has the farm leased, the man farming the place planted 12 acres of alfalfa between the house and the road.

When Dave first told me about the bucks, he had 10 bucks, all together in that alfalfa patch. He said 3 or 4 of them had nice racks. Since then, Dave said the deer are coming in, mixed up, bucks and does and fawns.

Biologist Teet's stopped by the other day, we were talking about it. He drove by the alfalfa patch the other evening, he said there were 21 deer in that field. Mr. Teet's lives over in that area, he told me that the biggest buck, would score 125 inches +/-. He said he's a pretty buck!

#26217 - 09/09/18 07:49 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Here's a picture of Leon with a very nice bull elk. Leon is my "dog food man" (I order dog feed from him for here at the store). He lives over in the next county, we're also friends on facebook. These are the kind of pictures my friends post. Not sure what state he's hunting, but that is one pretty animal!

I checked camera #4 the other day, the only buck I had was a spike, with maybe 7 inch spikes? I haven't checked the other cameras since 8/16/18. I'll check them when I get a chance, from what I was told, I'll need a chainsaw.

#26242 - 09/17/18 03:02 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, I checked cameras #1 and #2 the other day, that was 4 weeks between checks. Had a pile of pictures!

Note to self: Replaced batteries in Camera #1,

We sawed 2 little trees out of the road, to get to camera #2. Didn't have time to cut the trash out of the road on out to camera #3. It's a tangled up mess!

I had bear and cubs on both cameras, but look at this buck, on camera #1. Look at it's ribs and it's hams. That deer is sick! CWD maybe?

#26243 - 09/17/18 03:37 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#26257 - 09/19/18 05:46 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I think this is the same deer as above, notice his front legs, his knees. "Blue tongue" maybe ? This picture was taken 9/2/18.

#26259 - 09/20/18 01:08 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
musher Offline

Pretty lean bears for this time of year.

What is blue tongue and the knee thing?

#26260 - 09/20/18 06:59 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Here is a link:

https://fw.ky.gov/Wildlife/Pages/Epizootic-Hemorrhagic-Disease-(EHD)-and-Blue-Tongue-in-White-tailed-Deer.aspx

https://www.buckmanager.com/2007/09/23/blue-tongue-in-white-tailed-deer/

I've mentioned "blue tongue" in one of the other deer threads, not sure which one? A couple of years ago, the DNR counted, as well as I remember, up over 100 deer carcasses across the mountain from where I live. As the crow flies, that would be less than 20 miles from here.

I do remember some of the DOH guys telling me that the one hollow, "stinked like hell". From what they told me, there was a dead, rotten smell up that hollow for miles. The same area where the DNR counted dead animals.

The picture above, I've let several of my friends look at it, that deer is sick! Next time Biologist Teet's is in, I'll ask his theory.

I showed it to my buddy Steve today, he's found 2 deer carcasses on his property, within the last month or so? One was near his pond, the other near the creek. I've heard rumor of other folks finding dead deer. I don't know.

Biologist Teet's told me about 1 buck that he tagged at his office, a year or 2 ago. He said that it had a nice rack of horns, and as well as I remember he said that the deer would have weighed someplace around 75 pounds. Maybe it was 65 ?

Mr. Teet's showed me a picture of it on his phone, it was nothing but a skeleton.

#26262 - 09/23/18 07:33 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, I've been getting reports of folks finding dead deer here and there. Wardney stopped by yesterday, was telling me that Robbie had found several on his farm. Robbie's property line is about 1/2 mile from my camera #1. That's where I got the picture of the sick deer. Talked to brother in law Donnie, they just found a dead doe, a week or so ago? Donnie and the boys hunt the property, 2 farms downstream.

We talked about it yesterday, an animal the size of a deer, the carcass won't last long. We've been warm, with temps up in the 70's at daylight. Between the varmints, buzzards and blow flies. It would be pretty much gone in a week.

Talking about the deer's knees. The way I understand things, the animal will get so weak, that they can't eat or drink standing on all 4, so they'll go down on their knees. The pictures that Mr. Teet's showed me of that skeleton deer, as well as I remember that deer had worn the hide off of it's knees. The animal was starving to death, until someone put a bullet through it's shoulders.

That was 2 years ago when "blue tongue" was confirmed east of the mountain, late summer 2016. They say as a rule, most of the carcasses are found near water.

Another friend found a carcass on his property, said it tested positive for CWD.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not seeing many fawns on my cameras.

Acorns are just starting to fall, from what I've heard they are spotty. Wardney said the bear had tore the hell out of Nancy's corn fields, and Robbie had a lot of damage also.

Our early bear season started yesterday, for 7 days.

#26272 - 09/28/18 06:39 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Ooop's, that was a vertical picture, and I didn't do it right! The man on the right is 6 feet tall. I'll try to change that picture when I get back on the home computer.

Above we were talking about our bear being lean, that female weighed 206 pounds. Soaking wet, it rained all day yesterday, water was dripping off while we weighed it. Looking at her teeth, I'd say she's got some age on her. I did pull a tooth, the DNR will check it out and hopefully I'll get a report. The bear just doesn't have any fur, and that's what makes them look skinny. It was field dressed, and it did have a good layer of fat.

WV's early bear season ends tomorrow, 9/29/18. Our regular rifle bear season starts Monday, the week of Thanksgiving and goes till December 31st. Our bear should be furred up, slick and glossy looking then.

Getting more reports of folks finding dead deer near the waterhole.

Edited by redsnow (09/28/18 08:21 AM)

#26277 - 09/29/18 06:12 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Seems like this computer has a mind of it's own. Anyway, in this picture you can see how flat looking the bear hide is. Notice where the man has his hand on the pelt, you can still see his fingers and thumb, the fur is really thin.

Edited by redsnow (09/29/18 06:38 AM)

#26288 - 10/01/18 06:25 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I checked camera #4 yesterday, it had been out 4 weeks, it had 397 pictures. Notice the turkeys behind the stump, I can see 9.

Here's a picture from camera #2, I can't identify what it is. I have 4 consecutive pictures, they are all about the same. A bear climbed up that tree, about 6 months ago, and bit my camera, she's still working. Whatever it was this time the little camera is still working. I'll check the tree for fresh claw marks, next time up. If it was a bear, I'll be able to track it, that's a pine tree.

#26291 - 10/01/18 05:07 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#26345 - 10/21/18 08:29 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I checked camera #4 yesterday, 179 pictures, that was 2 weeks worth of pictures. Very few daylight deer pictures, as well as I can tell there are 4 different buck deer. Including one little spike, with horns about as long as your pinky finger.

Last Sunday morning, 10/14/18, a man that lives up the road 25 miles called me and wanted the phone # for a DNR officer. He said there was a deer standing in his front yard, it had been standing there since daylight. Said it was nothing but skin and bones. He said he didn't think that she could walk, figured she'd just plop down and die right there in his yard.

John has livestock in the pasture between his house and the river, told him if it was me, I'd go ahead and put the deer down. He didn't feel comfortable doing that.

I called the "non emergency" number for the 911 center, told the operator what the deal was, gave her his name and directions and all.

John called me back the other day, said 2 DNR officers showed up later, just walked up to the deer and put it down. The deer had moved 50 yards or so? The officers checked it over, told John from what they could tell it was "blue tongue".

Talked to a game biologist from the DNR's District 2 office the other day, I've never met the lady, but we talked and I asked her what's killing all of our deer? She said, honestly, we're not sure what all it is.

She said they'd been getting lots of reports of dead deer in Hardy and Grant counties. I live in Hardy Co. Had a man tell me the other day, they'd found 8 dead deer laying around the neighbors farm pond. I've had a bunch of folks tell me about finding 3 or 4 here or there, nearly all of the carcasses are near water.

But the lady biologist told me to ask people to report any fresh carcass that they'd happen to find. The DNR would send someone out to take tissue samples.

#26346 - 10/22/18 06:23 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#26347 - 10/22/18 12:39 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#26348 - 10/22/18 05:59 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
musher Offline

I'd have that rock set a long time ago!

#26349 - 10/23/18 01:25 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

And I'm glad I don't have to fool around with bears!!!

#26350 - 10/23/18 08:23 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: Hal]
Dfabs Offline

And I'm glad I don't have to fool around with bears!!!

Just bobcats that like to hide under your buggy. Lol
Iím yet to hold a bear, but my day is coming. Iím not looking forward to it. I was really close last year, and thank god, he missed the pan. I had one thrash a hay set, and there was still snow on the ground so I got to see how close I came. Iím pretty sure if one steps in one of those K9 Extremes, itís gonna be waiting on me.

#26351 - 10/23/18 08:26 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: Dfabs]
Dfabs Offline

One thing I canít figure out, is why we donít have any porcupines around here. Iím not complaining, but if I drive about an hour and a half north into PA, you see quite a few of them dead alongside the road. That just doesnít seem very far away to not have them here at all.

#26352 - 10/24/18 05:54 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
musher Offline

If your trap is staked solid, it is going to be tough to hold onto a bear. JC Connor told me that he held a bear in a jake trap. I believe it. But I have caught a lot of bears a jake trap would not have held.

I really like it when I see my cable past the wrist of a bear. Any lower, I shoot quick.

#26353 - 10/24/18 07:16 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: musher]
Dfabs Offline

A self release definitely wonít hurt my feelings. Iíve been seeing quite a few pics lately around here of guys holding them in the 100-150lb range though. Andy Weiser holds one thatís about 200lb in a #3 Montana on his video. Also just saw one in an MB550 over on Tman. I hope my day never comes. I have one section of my line thatís loaded with bear.

#26354 - 10/24/18 08:04 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I'll tell you, trapping up on the mountain around camera #2 and #3, would be a hard decision to make. You see, once you leave the County road, that's pretty much a 4WD dead-end road. Lots of it is a Low 4-WD road. One way in, one way out. It's a 2 and a half hour trapline, if things go good.

Honestly, I'm not seeing much fur on the cameras. The last check of camera #2, that was a 6-week check, and I had 1 (one) bobcat picture. As well as I remember, about 3 fox pictures, 1 coyote picture, several coon pictures, and 8 or 10 bear pictures. Very few deer pictures.

From what I've seen, there's not much food on the mountain. The place was timbered hard, 20 years ago, the oak trees are gone. Grapes, where I've been didn't do anything. I've not seen any gum berries.

All together on Camera #2, in the last 10 weeks, I've had 2 bobcat pictures. And very well could have been the same cat. Very slim pickins.

#26357 - 10/30/18 10:05 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

That's a nice bear. Camera #4.

#26366 - 11/10/18 07:47 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Note to self, checked cameras #2 and 3, on 11/8/18.

#26384 - 12/02/18 09:04 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, sorry I can't post any pictures now. This computer has a mind of it's own. It shut down a while back, and I've got something botched up! I'll try to get it fixed in a day or 2.

I've been checking my cameras, I've got a pile of pictures! I'll try to give you a run down on what pictures that I remember. I've got bear pictures on all 4 cameras. I've got pictures of a really nice bear on camera #2, he'll go over 300#. We had snow on the ground the first day of buck season (bear season was also in), I crossed the big bear's track. Didn't find it till about an hour before dark, not enough time to mess with him. It was warm up high, the snow melted off of the mountain before it did down low.

WV's rifle buck season ended yesterday, our regular bear season comes in tomorrow. We can run them with dogs till December 31st.

Before the WV DNR sends out their official report on the deer kill, report and stats, I'll give you my take on the 2018 deer season.

Above in this thread or last years "deer thread" ?, I predicted that the 2018 deer kill would be down, compared to the 2017 kill. My opinion, here in Hardy county it will be down. Not sure about statewide, but in this area it will be down.

The DNR has a very unique way of explaining why our deer season was ideal and right on target for the numbers, or if the season sucked. I really think the DNR will need to pull out all of the stops for this past buck season. Reasons and or excuses why our deer kill was down. They'll mention the weather, mast crop, high tide and all. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they'd mention the recent impact of NASA's Insight probe on the surface of Mars. lol

Personally I had a good season, I scoped over 3 bucks the first day, 2 spikes and a 4-pt. Kicked out another little buck the second day. All together I got to see 7 different bucks. I did take pictures of the one little buck. Otherwise, I've only fired one shot. A friend and I went out and got a nice doe. Honestly, I didn't deer hunt that much, I was up on the mountain trying to find that bear. After working inside with a roof over my head for 10 months out of the year, I just like to get out. If I kill something that's fine, if I don't that's fine too.

Above we were talking about how long a deer carcass would last, with the critters and stuff working on it. Tuesday, the second day of season I found a dead 4-pt. A guy made a less than perfect shot, tracked it 50 or 75 yards and said the hell with it. Chalked it up as a miss. That sucks when people don't follow up their shot! Anyway, the deer had been there for less than 24 hours, birds had already found it. Buzzards, crows, ravens, maybe eagles?

I thought about putting a camera on it, but I didn't. I went out and checked it, about 10 days later, other than it's head and neck, the rest of it is pretty much gone. A bear had dragged it about 20 yards.

As soon as I get this computer squared up, I'll show you some pictures.

#26388 - 12/10/18 06:26 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.