Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line forum

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#26028 - 06/02/18 06:58 PM Will wild mink ever rise again?
Utk1 Offline

Loc: S.E. Kentucky
I really like to run a mink line but it's just not economically feasible nor has been last few years. I'm wondering if the ranch mink glut will ever shake out and wild mink get up to 20 bucks or so again.Time spent on the line is one thing but gas is another. I heard they now have a ranch mink very close to our brown chocolate wild mink which was the one thing wild mink had going for them.

Edited by Utk1 (06/02/18 06:59 PM)
Edit Reason: iPad misspelling for me

#26029 - 06/03/18 01:18 PM Re: Will wild mink ever rise again? [Re: Utk1]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I wish I knew the answer to that. Mink trapping is a lot of fun -- small traps, small critters, easy to put up. The only future I see for the wild mink market is for the ranchers to undercut their stock, on a rising market. Then wild fur would fill in. I look back on this nostalgically when male mink could bring $40 and females $20, and say it will never happen again. But then I think back on old old old timers when I was a kid saying we'd never see depression level prices again. We did, and then some. smile

#26046 - 06/21/18 06:32 PM Re: Will wild mink ever rise again? [Re: Utk1]
Seldom Offline

Loc: Midland, MI
Nope! Because of the 3X larger demi-brown ranch mink that you mentioned. Did I mention 3X larger? A trapper traps mink today because they enjoy trapping them, pure and simple. I still make mink sets on my coyote line if I either cross or drive alongside a waterway that has mink.

Edited by Seldom (06/21/18 06:41 PM)

#26047 - 06/22/18 05:58 PM Re: Will wild mink ever rise again? [Re: Seldom]
Dfabs Online   content

Loc: Morgantown, West Virginia
Iím with Seldom on this one. After handling ranch mink and seeing how much softer and uniform ranch fur is than wild fur, I just donít see wild fur prices coming back for mink if they can get the chocolate color of wild fur at the ranches now. Very few critters make my wife as happy as mink when I bring them home though. I have trouble driving over a bridge on my coyote line without setting some mink traps though, and I always have a milk crate full of mink traps in the back of my truck. After spending some time with Eric Space though, I find myself carrying snares in my pocket more often now. They are so easy and fast to set, itís hard not to use them, and I really like having an option that a trout fisherman can stand right beside and fish without ever knowing it is there.

#26048 - 06/25/18 06:13 PM Re: Will wild mink ever rise again? [Re: Utk1]
Utk1 Offline

Loc: S.E. Kentucky
I sure do like to see that brown fuzzy tail sticking up in the water.

#26053 - 06/26/18 07:12 PM Re: Will wild mink ever rise again? [Re: Utk1]
Seldom Offline

Loc: Midland, MI
Yup, Iíve trapped a long time and it still gives me a thrill to see a mink in my trap.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.