Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#26030 - 06/04/18 06:26 AM High Water 2018.
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
We've had a lot of rain in this area lately. Here's a picture that I took yesterday, notice the driveway across the river, the water is at least 4 feet deep over the bridge. And the river had already dropped 3 feet or better.

#26031 - 06/04/18 11:06 AM Re: High Water 2018. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I lost traps to high water in the Hatchie River in Tennessee on January 21. The water in that river has not gone down low enough for me to get my traps back since that date. Over four months!

#26032 - 06/04/18 08:05 PM Re: High Water 2018. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Notice that little white spot on the far side of the river, above the white water, that's the ramp at the end of the bridge. That would be 75 yards or so?
That's on the South Fork of the South Branch, of the Potomac River. Our water goes up fast and comes down fast.

I've got a video of it, it's noisy!

#26033 - 06/09/18 05:55 PM Re: High Water 2018. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

When I first started this thread, I didn't know it at the time, but our Governor declared a "state of emergency" in 8 WV counties, I live in one of the 8. I read that in the headlines of the newspaper later.

I wanted to tell you about this one big storm, before I tell you about that I'll tell you how things got started.

I don't remember the exact date, when the skies got overcast and it started raining, and we had at rain everyday for at least a week. Probably closer to 10 consecutive days. It didn't rain all day, every day. We had some hard rains and some slow steady rains, no big deal.

Our streams and creeks were running good.

Then, it was last Friday, June 1, 2018, we had a storm! And it was a good one! The sky got dark, and it poured down the rain. One of those rains where if you're out driving, you're looking for a wide spot to pullover.

I'll give you some rainfall totals here locally. Moe had 3 inches of rain in 25 minutes. Landon had 3.1 inches in 30 minutes. My brother had 4 inches in 45 minutes.

My brother showed me a picture of the road down past his house, it was a stream. That's never happened in our lifetime, and the road is more or less on top of a ridge. That's a county road.

Lots of flooded basements in this area, culverts washed out, pavement rolled up, rock and mud slides here and there blocking the roads for a day or so. Back to pretty much normal now, the sun is shining, folks out on the river fishing today. Lots of downed timber too. Our ground was soft.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.