Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line forum

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#26054 - 06/30/18 03:31 PM Anyone have Bait or Lure Recipes to share?
AuthorTrapper
Unregistered

Hi,
I'm new on here so hello everyone! I'm looking for coyote, grey fox, bobcat, coon, skunk, possum, and badger bait and lure recipes, can anyone help me out?
Author Trapper.

#26055 - 07/01/18 05:50 AM Re: Anyone have Bait or Lure Recipes to share? [Re: ]
Utk1 Online   content

Loc: S.E. Kentucky
I would get a pint of someone's bait solution and use different meats at different stages from fresh to slight taint. You can make a gallon of bait with a pint. Also, make use of those rattlers down there.

#26056 - 07/02/18 02:26 PM Re: Anyone have Bait or Lure Recipes to share? [Re: ]
Seldom Offline

Loc: Midland, MI
A Tracy Truman Recipe-
4-5lbs of burnt bacon and all it's grease
1lb lard
1 pint honey
4oz of beaver caster
Heat all to melt, mix, and jar

Because of this recipes' set-to-catch ratio compared to other baits I've used, pushed the commercial baits of two extremely well known lure & bait manufacturers off my late fall canine line.

Edited by Seldom (07/02/18 02:36 PM)

#26060 - 07/04/18 05:03 AM Re: Anyone have Bait or Lure Recipes to share? [Re: ]
Utk1 Online   content

Loc: S.E. Kentucky
I know a couple of guys that use a lot of bacon grease and catch a bunch of critters.

#26068 - 07/08/18 04:05 PM Re: Anyone have Bait or Lure Recipes to share? [Re: ]
Ric Online   content

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
I have used one similar to Seldom's suggestion.

~5lbs "ends and pieces" bacon
~2 oz raw castor, scraped from pod
~1 lb lard

Fry bacon till meat will just crumble when cooled

Re-heat fat, mix in crumbled meat/cracklins and add castor.

Let cool till it starts to stiffen. Then stir well.

I keep it frozen till needed packed in 1/2 pint jars

If there is something that doesn't like bacon. I haven't found it yet

This mild bait does not attract nearly the number of non targets that louder commercial baits do

#26070 - 07/10/18 07:59 PM Re: Anyone have Bait or Lure Recipes to share? [Re: Ric]
Seldom Offline

Loc: Midland, MI
A couple years ago I added 2oz of O’Gorman’s ‘Old Minks Death’ lure to it and belive it kicked it up a notch in effectiveness. The last batch I added 2oz of mink glands instead of the lure but I couldn’t see any advantage one way or the other. Last season I added some tinctured skunk to my jars for cold temp carrying purposes but I saw no uptick in effectiveness.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.