Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#25971 - 05/06/18 09:24 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Your deer probably weigh 300 pounds.

A biologist told me that deer "winter kill" can occur into April and May. I was out for a walk last week, the dog came back to me covered in deer hair and stinky as hell. I didn't go looking for the carcass. Our deer season ended December 31st. So who knows?

Above you asked what's better, lots of deer or not so many deer. Hard question to answer! It depends.

A lot of folks around here were used to walking 50 yards from their truck, sitting on a rock from a little before daylight and killing a buck before 9 am. That does NOT happen as often as it did years ago.

I'll tell you this from years ago, it was a day that I'll never forget. A day that I'll never experience again in my lifetime.

I parked my old 78 Jeep on top of the mountain a little before daylight. I dropped off on the east side of the mountain and hunted south, worked my way back up to the top, and hunted on back north. I always like to find a good spot and watch, the last 45 minutes of daylight. I remember where I was watching, the old jeep was about a mile away.

I made a pretty good circle that day, all together I scoped over 6 different buck deer. 2 bucks were together, the other 4 were singles. I killed 1, once you kill it, you're finished!

I know of a man that hunted basically the same area this past season, from what I was told, he hunted up there for a week and didn't see a deer. Not 1 single deer.

I don't know how he "hunted", there are deer up there, just not like they were years ago. We don't have the people in the woods today, keeping the deer moving like we did before.

Thinking about this, if someone would ask me to take their kid out deer hunting, I'd never take him up on the mountain. That would be a big mistake, it'd be boring as heck for the kid. If I take a kid out hunting, I'm going to put him in the hot spots.

#25972 - 05/06/18 03:08 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: redsnow
Above you asked what's better, lots of deer or not so many deer. Hard question to answer! It depends.

I'll weigh in on that. About ten years ago, deer were thicker around here than rats. People couldn't grow a garden without the deer eating it off. And no telling how much farmers lost to the deer. One fellow climbed up in his tree stand on opening morning and killed 7 deer before 10:00. That was totally illegal but they did not go to waste. The DOW finally recognized the problem and made the bag more liberal. Of course the "deer hunters" whined that they weren't seeing or killing so many deer. But they weren't the ones who had to live day-to-day with the damn things.

#25973 - 05/07/18 06:36 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I checked camera 4 yesterday, 105 pictures, 7 days.

#25974 - 05/07/18 11:04 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Deer are expensive, any way that you look at them.

As far as crop damage, from what I've ran into, and what farmers and DNR folks are telling me, we have more damage from bear today than we do deer. If the bear are in the corn field, the deer will stay out.

The DNR will issue "crop damage" permits for deer and bear.

As far as I know there hasn't been a deer in our garden for 10 years of more. Last fall there was a bushel of apples under the one tree, I think all of them froze and rotted.

Years ago I read some study or report about whitetail deer, as well as I remember it said that 75% of deer will die within 1.5 miles of where they were born. The deer here in the valley have an easy life, compared to the deer living at 3,000 feet in elevation.

Friends and I have talked about this, if we kill off all of our breeders on top of the mountain, it's going to be years and years before other deer move up there to replace them.

I'll add more later.

#25975 - 05/07/18 04:00 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Here's a picture from yesterday. If the saltblock would be on the ground, it'd dissolve in a day or 2. Not sure how long it's been sitting on the stump? Months and months!

Long story and hard to explain, but years ago around here it was a joke, each and every year we had another "Record Deer Kill", according to the DNE.

A couple of us were talking to the local DNR biologist one day, and I told him something like this: You know as well as I do that we don't have as many deer today as we did 10 years ago! He said something like this: You're probably right, but you guys have been killing 3, 4 or 5 bucks every season! YOU CAN'T DO THAT!

Trust me, he knew what was going on! What do you say?

I'll give you my take on the deer population, I first noticed the population dropped on top of the mountains first. Then it was down in the ridges, and now down along the river bottom.

If I was going to take out a kid, first time hunter, I'd take him to the river bottom.

If you remember from the 2017 deer thread, I mentioned some guys hunting a farm beside the river. Their theory is, kill all of the does that you want, don't kill any bucks unless it's a trophy.

Last season, as well as I remember, they killed 15 or 18 female deer, not a single buck. They passed up some small bucks.

Honestly, that farm/area that they were hunting was one of the best deer areas around these parts! We'll sit back and watch, but I'm going to guess, they will have very slim pickings this coming season! Our local deer harvest will be down again this coming year!

If you remove 15 adult breeders from an area, that's a good many deer total, after fawning season.

We will see.

#25976 - 05/08/18 05:01 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
"If you remove 15 adult breeders from an area, that's a good many deer total, after fawning season."

And breeding bucks have no one to play with so they move on.

I find that, as a whole, big game hunters are very short sighted.

It is the same here with moose calves and female moose. It is as if they HAVE to kill something or the larder will be bare.

#25977 - 05/11/18 06:35 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Some folks are like that. I know a guy, I'll tell you up front he's an outlaw, poacher, game hog, etc. He can't go out and enjoy a day in the woods, unless he kills something. If he doesn't kill something, he acts like he's pissed at the world.

Guys like him make the rest of us look bad. The DNR will nail him one of these days!

The DNR sets our bag limit, nearly all of the property in this area is privately owned. So the bag limit is up to the landowner, which is good.

Our game laws vary, depending on the county, or region of the state. Here in Hardy county, if I buy all of the different licenses, I can legally kill 2 buck deer, and 3 antlerless deer per season, that's just with a rifle. It's the same for residents and non-residents. I won't get into archery and black powder laws.

Within the last 5 or 10 years, about all of the local hunting clubs asked their members to back off on killing does. We have areas where the deer population is nearly the same as it was 20 years ago, and we have other areas, where the deer population is very small.

#25978 - 05/11/18 07:48 AM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
Here in the Finger Lakes region of New York, it is mostly farm country, along with a zillion housing tracks. When I was a kid on the farm, [ the 50's ] Dad would drive the tractor back home to announce that he just saw a deer!! It was a rarity to see one. Now, they feed like cattle in the mornings and evenings in the corn, soybean and hay fields. There are so many that a few years ago, the local government had a "bait and shoot" program in one area to eradicate as many deer as possible, until the deer lovers complained so much that it was ended.

Ron

#25979 - 05/12/18 01:45 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: redsnow
...nearly all of the property in this area is privately owned. So the bag limit is up to the landowner...

Man, I've never heard of that before. So if the landowners says you can kill 10 deer, you can just start dropping them?

#25980 - 05/12/18 03:45 PM Re: 2018 Deer Antler, Fawn growth Trail camera thread. [Re: Hal]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA

Finally got this thing to accept my pics. Changed cameras. Both cameras are identical to each other, but purchased a couple of months apart. Pics from one can't be loaded here. Seems this one plays nice with the site. Here's a couple of different critters working the area. Had whitetails here with snow on the ground but they seem to have disappeared with the snow. I'll stay vigilant.

Frank.

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.