Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#26165 - 08/18/18 07:04 AM Re: Water skills. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Very interesting. It sounds like a fun ride. 4 hours of rapids.

That is funny about the 4 guys not having $5. And $5 for a phone call.

I've seen pictures of the river near your house, not sure how far upstream they put in? Or what the river looks like up there? Yes, that would be nice if one of the young men would create a U-tube video, so we could all enjoy the action.

I'd be willing to bet the $5 gate fee, that the boys hit it again next summer too.

#26166 - 08/18/18 07:46 AM Re: Water skills. [Re: redsnow]
Dfabs Online   content

Loc: Morgantown, West Virginia
Tim, what does South Branch look like right now? Have you guys been getting a good bit of rain? My boss and my next door neighbor are supposed to go up and float it on Wednesday and Thursday this week.

#26167 - 08/18/18 08:40 AM Re: Water skills. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
They do have some video but I don't think they showed it around too much.

The part of the video I found the most entertaining is the slow learner. My son had checked out the rapid, opted out in favour of the portage. Slow boy says, "F that, I'm going." Son says at the first rock you have to take a hard right or the current will force you left into the rocks. Slow boy takes off, does not take a hard right, kayak goes left into the rocks, boy has a look of terror in his eyes, tries to grab onto rocks, kayak starts going backwards into rapids, rolls and rolls, boy appears floundering and ends up on some rocks while the kayak rolls down stream. He had lost his paddle, too, which they found. Slow boy has to jump into the water and float to get out of there. A good butt bruising went on.

All the while new boy is laughing like a maniac and wondering what he got himself into.

These guys are super athletic. The snow board (one guy is sponsored and does the tours), the mountain bike all the time and they skate board filming themselves doing break neck nonsense. One guy can run take two steps on a vertical wall like the Matrix. My son can do a back flip while standing beside you. They just don't realize how fragile your body really is and that stuff happens really quick.

It is a way different river higher up. The source is a huge lake with a dam. They are much closer to the dam. It was a solid half hour of highway with another 6 km of bush road.

The problem isn't so much the size of the rapids. It is the fact that they do not stop. When you have stretches of calm water, you can bail, take a peak around the bend and catch your breath. There, you are committed for the long haul unless you can do the fish behind a large rock.

The money thing kills me. Cash is obsolete to them.

Son is on his way back from a cross Canada road trip. Girl friend and he slept in the Corolla the whole trip even though they had a tent. Prior to leaving, they removed the back seat and installed a small mattress (which they took from one of girlfriends brother!)Their dog slept in the front seat, too.

First day gone they phone home. Son forgot their itinerary. Mom had to go to their house, get the computer, get the itinerary, and send it to them. First campsite, after 15 hours of driving, is full. They get the ok to sleep in the parking lot. They go for a hike to see some pictographs on Lake Superior and take the dog off leash. The dog rolls in crap ..... They have to walk back to the car to get the training dummy to rinse the dog off in the lake, to go back to the car to get shampoo because the rinsing didn't go so well, to get back to make supper to realize they forgot the can opener (needed for supper in a tin) to sleep with a wet dog in a Corolla.

They have hiked a lot, surfed, visited tons of skate parks and seen a good chunk of Canada. In there they had more adventures and a few misadventures. They have had a blast. As long as they get home in one piece, we are happy.

#26168 - 08/18/18 10:35 AM Re: Water skills. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

The South Branch of the Potomac is running good, should be a nice trip. We've had a lot of hit/miss rain, a friend that lives 5 miles from here had 2.5 inches the other evening, here, we had enough to sprinkle the windshield. Talking to some of my friends, we've had over 2 feet of rain since April. More water than older folks can ever remember.

I guess this "plastic money" is here to stay. Just thinking about it, where did the boys think they'd find an ATM along the river? I deal with credit/chip cards at work everyday, if someone would lose their card (it happens very often) anyone that finds it can drain that account. A girl that I know had her card stolen a while back, she got burnt for $500, before she could have the card deactivated. Makes you wonder.

The way that you've described the young men, they're all young and tough, and think that they are invincible. Give them another 5 or 10 or 15 years, they will realize just how fragile the human body is.

#26170 - 08/18/18 02:51 PM Re: Water skills. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

"The way that you've described the young men, they're all young and tough, and think that they are invincible. Give them another 5 or 10 or 15 years, they will realize just how fragile the human body is."

You have that right. My son certainly doesn't fret about loosing skin. He takes some terrible falls skate boarding and the asphalt always wins. Their knees and other joints are going to hurt from all the pounding when they land. But hey, what do we know

I have booboos now because of stuff done when younger. I think we all do unless we were bubble wrapped.

Another Coleman story; Here is why I asked my then fiancee for a Coleman instead of a ring.
Way back then there was an advertisement of a RamX Coleman canoe being thrown off a roof. Buddy bought one. We used it a lot. We even used it stupid. I'm talking about 3 guys wearing waders, shotgu8ns, shells, decoys in the middle of the St.Lawrence River stupid. Never had a problem.

We were also into doing white water and the rest of us too poor to own a canoe rented them on site.

One weekend we were canoe camping and shooting rapids. Buddy who owned the Coleman wrapped it around a rock. It was an R3 and he missed it. There were a couple of canoe carcasses wrapped up in the same area. Buddy and partner made it to the side but the canoe stayed there. We could not even get close to get a rope on it. As we were figuring out how we were going to divvy the load and 2 extra passengers among us, the stuck Coleman started bouncing more and more. Finally it popped out and rolled over and over out of the rapids to a spot we could get to.

We hauled it on shore and checked it out. The metal bars were bent all to heck. Using rocks and branches as pry bars we got the metal straightened out in a canoe shape. The plastic snapped back into shape on its own.

Buddy still has the canoe and it still works fine. Tough boats.

#26175 - 08/19/18 08:05 AM Re: Water skills. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I'm not sure what year bubble wrap was invented? But I never had any as a kid either!

Above we were talking about hauling a load in a boat, I'll tell you this real quick.

It's been somewhere around 15 years ago, maybe 20? My buddies Nick and Skiddy and I ganged up here at the house early one morning. About 3 hours before daylight early. We were going deer hunting, and we had a plan!

Long story short, the 3 of us were up near the top of the mountain before daylight, and split up. Nick went south, I went north and Skiddy would be in the middle, that's the way we started anyway. The plan was that we'd not shoot any small bucks, and we'd meet at the river at dark.

This was years ago, we didn't have radios or cell phones, we just split up, and hunted. I didn't bump into Skiddy or Nick all day.

Even longer story short, I met Nick and Skiddy at the river, a little bit after dark. There we were, the 3 of us standing on the river bank, with Nick's 10-point buck between us, and 1 canoe!

It was the 2nd week of buck season, so it would have been the first week of December. The river was up and muddy, and it was flowing pretty keen!

Nick's deer was stiff as a board, it was a chore getting it in the canoe. Head sticking out one side, and feet over the other.

So, we've got the 3 of us, that's 2, 4, 600 pounds. 130 pound deer, plus $1,500 worth of rifles, and one canoe! We were all wearing long johns, 3 or 4 layers on top.

We had a load in the canoe! I remember when I got in the back of the canoe, it bottomed out. I'll never forget Skiddy said: Well take that ole Browning and shove us off. I did.

Skiddy is young and tough, he was up front paddling hard on the left side, I was in the back, just keeping it angled a little bit. Looking upstream we were going right to left. Nick was in the middle holding the light. We slid across the river, just pretty as you please.

Thinking about it now, that was pretty stupid. If all 3 of us weren't comfortable with the deal, we'd never tried it in the first place. No harm done, that's the main thing!

#26179 - 08/20/18 03:13 PM Re: Water skills. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Another canoe story.

Wifey and I had just started going out. I wanted to take her canoeing but didn't own a canoe. Luckily a buddy had found a sunken one. He had a scuba kit so he dove down, went under the canoe and breathed there for a while. The canoe floated up and he was able to haul it out of the water and home.

He assured me it was in perfect shape.

I borrowed it and it did look good. Barely a scratch on it.

We went on the same river as the rolled Coleman my other buddy hammered back into shape.

All was well until we took in too much water on a rapid and sank. No biggie and we got the canoe out of the water with no problem BUT it was now much heavier. The air pockets obviously leaked and water had gotten in there.

I had a VW Rabbit then and we got it on the roof to go home. The roof rack was the type that hooked onto the door gutters. Yep, car doors had gutters back then. While driving the dirt road back, the roof rack ripped out of the gutters and the canoe plowed a nice furrow on the hood of my Rabbit.

I guess the extra weight was too much.

Thank God it didn't happen on the highway.

#26184 - 08/24/18 06:55 AM Re: Water skills. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Yes, that would be bad news to lose a boat on the main road. Sounds like it was bad enough the way it happened.

If a person would have a canoe like that today and the air pockets leaked, you could drill a hole and fill them full of that spray foam stuff.

Neat the way your buddy floated the canoe, a gallon of air would displace 8 pounds. So it wouldn't take many exhales to float a canoe.

Years ago we recovered a metal framed picnic table from the bottom of the river. Big Donnie and I were out fishing one day, and I noticed it laying on the bottom, upside down.

I rigged up a sort of frame, strapped to 2, 50-gallon plastic barrels. Rigged up 2 come-a-longs, one on each end of the table, cranked it up off the bottom and towed it upstream with the boat.

#26186 - 08/24/18 03:50 PM Re: Water skills. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

I have a table story, too.

The first time my eldest brought the boyfriend home we went canoeing. I saw a picnic table way up in the alders. It had been washed down from the north with the high water of spring.

We got it down and towed it to the truck. We had to tie the canoes together to get enough power to tow the table.

It was a lot of work to get it down and even more to tow it.Putting two canoes and a table in/on the truck was pretty imaginative stuff, also. Boyfriend thought I was nuts!

I still have the table and daughter married the boyfriend!

#26187 - 08/24/18 07:46 PM Re: Water skills. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

"Picnic Table Snatchers, INC." lol. It's just one of those things, you see it there free for the taking, what do you do?

And I agree the one that I found on the bottom of the river was a lot more trouble than it was worth! But, it's a good table. The one that we recovered was made with 3" channel iron for the legs. 2" oak boards for the top and seats. About all 4 of us could do to load the rascal on the trailer, all waterlogged and all. But we got it.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.