Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#26263 - 09/24/18 11:09 AM Re: Water skills. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
I am just back from a yearly weekend road trip duck opener with my son. We met up with a gang of my high school buddies and my son-in-law. A few beers were shared and tongues were loosened. I now have the full story of the flipped canoe. Here are the highlights:

1- He knew it was too rough once he was out. He had a choice of beelining to shore and walking towing it out by foot or going for it to get back. Her chose to go for it.

2- the wind was now at his back so the troughs poured water into the front of the boat as he peaked on the waves.

3- they bailed with hands and hats as the canoe filled with each wave/trough.

4- buddy who can't swim much DID NOT have his life jacket on. Sonny did.

5- when the canoe rolled and flipped buddy crawled onto the overturned canoe and put on the life jacket.

6- son was afraid of the dog drowning so they left the boat.

7- son held his cell phone high as they flipped and tread water. He called the girlfriend from in the water. He then needed to put the cell phone in his pocket to swim to shore.

8- buddy didn't seem stressed when I saw him but I guess I was wrong. He has a Facebook post describing the event, is now a "always wear your life jacket" guy, and actually got a tattoo of a life jacket with the words life saver!

9- I don't think it's going to happen again. (At least I hope so.) All my buds gave him grief in a big way. They also saw the kayaking adventure video. They gave him more heck .... but sonny was safe in that situation even if a couple of his friends were not.

#26275 - 09/28/18 06:01 PM Re: Water skills. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Well, I'm glad to hear that your buds gave the young guys a good butt chewing. It seems that sometimes, a close friend's advice will make more of an impression, than that of Mom & Dad.

Above, when I first read that your Son was wearing his life jacket, I had a feeling, he was thinking that things might get just a little bit wild. Very few people wear their PFD in calm water.

These new PFD's aren't as bulky and as uncomfortable to wear as some of the older ones.

But let me ask what's the deal with the outboard?

#26289 - 10/01/18 10:12 AM Re: Water skills. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Son always wears the life jacket and uses his seat belt,too. He was raised that way and he feels weird when he doesn't.

The outboard needed $135. He didn't want me looking at it and he didn't want to continue cranking. It was just water logged. A bit more elbow grease and more of Hal's alcohol would have gotten it going. He had taken it apart twice and was sure something had cracked.

#26309 - 10/04/18 05:49 PM Re: Water skills. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

That's good to hear that your Son always wears his PFD, and seat belt! I shouldn't comment anymore, so I won't.

Just thinking about his buddy that swims like a rock, he's the one that should have strapped on his life jacket first thing.

I just got on a little deal with a man, I traded him my boat trailer for 3 PFD's, new fuel tank and a paddle, even up. Places where I like to take my boat, the trailer is a pain. Easier to just load the boat on the truck and go. It's a 12 foot flat bottom, I can load it alone.

I'm glad to hear that the outboard sputtered back to life. Reading between the lines, sounds like most of the $135 was for labor.

I skimmed through one of the local "junk/trader" magazines the other day, found a 7.5 HP outboard for, well, the man is asking $200. I don't need it. Boating season is pretty much over for this area, he lives about 2 hours away. My niece's little girl will be going to school in that area, next semester. I'll wait till about the first of December, and offer him about $150. Never know? I might be able to get it for $100 cash.

#26315 - 10/06/18 06:41 AM Re: Water skills. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

One of my facebook friends posted this picture the other day, he's tuna fishing off the coast of Prince Edward Island, Canada. He made a comment, the Captain of the boat told him, something like this: "There's not a fish out there worth your life." That water does look pretty rough.

I just read Charlie's facebook post again, he's fishing out of North Lake marina, far northeastern tip of Prince Edward Island. Nearest town is Souris. He said the blue fin tuna would get up to 10 feet, and weigh 1,000 pounds.

To quote him, the Captain said: It ain't worth your life.

Apparently, a lobster boat went down a week or so before, said they'd lost 2 of the 3 man crew.

Charlies lives down in the next county, but owns property up on the mountain where I have trail cameras #2 and #3.

Next time I talk to him, I'll ask what a trip like that costs. He caught one the other day, not sure what it weighed, but it was a big fish! He's been posting some pretty pictures.

Edited by redsnow (10/06/18 09:55 AM)

#26319 - 10/07/18 04:03 PM Re: Water skills. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

i had a buddy that was a tuna/lobster fisherman. He fished out of the Magdeline Islands and Nova Scotia. I lobster fished with him for a month and decided it was not for me. He caught monster tuna that sold for $10,000 and over. It was a tag system and it varied for 5 to 7 tags but you could buy other peoples tags.

Rough way to earn a living and dangerous as all get out. When it blew 30 knots, he would not lobster fish. He went higher for tuna.

#26355 - 10/28/18 08:44 AM Re: Water skills. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Seems like GoogleEarth was down for a few days. I zoomed in on the Magdeline Islands, there are different spellings. Looks to be about 60 miles north of Prince Edward Island. Those islands appear as a speck on the globe, but they are bigger than they appear!

I was surprised at the population of some of the towns. And lots of crop fields too.

Above where you were talking about selling a fish for $10,000. You know a lot of folks think about that, and they're thinking, go out and catch 50 or $70,000 worth of fish, that's pretty good wages for a season.

I always try to look at both sides of everything, they don't realize that every time that the man pulls his boat up to the gas station, he's going to pull out his checkbook and write a check for up in the thousands. Look at fuel prices today.

I've only been out on the ocean a couple of times. Years ago, (a man that I worked with) and best friend's Mom was dating a guy that owned a boat. Tom kept his boat at Wachapreague, VA. Tom took us out a couple times tuna fishing. As well as I remember, the biggest tuna that we caught were up around 60 pounds or so.

His boat was rigged up with outriggers, trolling 5 or 6 baits. We'd take turns reeling in the fish. I remember that one time, I was standing at the back of the boat cranking in a fish, Tom told me to hang onto that pole, said he'd just paid $600 for that reel. Stiff little rods, maybe 5-foot long, with those little rollers on each eye.

We always had a good time.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.