Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#26180 - 08/21/18 10:15 AM ATV tires
ron finewood Online   content

Loc: palmyra, new york
I have a Polaris side by side, RZR, and I need new tires. The area I use it is +/- 30% blacktop, 60% hard packed, rocky logging roads and 10% woods, soft, muddy trails. I am not that concerned about huge lugs for muddy conditions, as I have few of those and I do have a winch in case of emergency. I am more concerned about a long lasting tire, given the high cost of them. I still have the originals on the rear [ Maxxis brand ] with 8,000 miles on them. Yes! that is 8,000 miles. Maxxis does make a "Big Horn" brand---is that good? And Carlisle makes some good ones. Any suggestions from other SXS users?? I am also thinking 6 ply as the logging roads have tons of sharp rocks. Input??

Hal, I just read you latest FFG article about your UTV----What tires do you have?

Ron

#26181 - 08/21/18 04:59 PM Re: ATV tires [Re: ron finewood]
Mike Conrad Offline

Loc: Sheffield, Ohio
The Polaris Ranger I bought in 2012 had two-ply tires that wore and dry rotted in only 4 years. Bought Rocktane tires that were 8-ply and way cheaper than replacements from Polaris. They offer several tread patterns, you should be able to find one that fits your needs. I am sure others will recommend other brands too.

#26185 - 08/24/18 03:47 PM Re: ATV tires [Re: ron finewood]
ron finewood Online   content

Loc: palmyra, new york
I ended up getting a set of Carlisle - All Trail tires. They do look more like a truck "mud and snow" tire, than an ATV tire---but I think they will last longer on hard pack gravel and blacktop. Time will tell.

Ron

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.