Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#26192 - 08/27/18 01:24 AM Waxed dirt problem
gman Offline

Loc: New York
Last month I dug up some dirt. I then sifted out the rocks , leaves , twigs etc. and made some fine waxed dirt per the instructions that the wax came with. I did the solar method. I even put some in a baggie and put it in the freezer to test it out. It came out fantastic. The only problem I have now is that the waxed dirt is so fine , it pours thru my sifter. I suppose I could make a sifter using window screen , but was wondering if anyone else ever had this problem. Even 1/4" hardware cloth would be too big. I had this problem last year and was forced to use my trowel to spread the dirt over and around my traps , which made it more difficult than using a sifter. All the trapping supply company generally sell the same kind of diamond screen sifters. Any comments , thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#26193 - 08/27/18 06:32 AM Re: Waxed dirt problem [Re: gman]
Dfabs Offline

Loc: Morgantown, West Virginia
You already sifted it once, no need to sift it again. I just pour my WD out of a Gatorade bottle and blend it with one of those little hand whisk brooms.

#26194 - 08/27/18 11:46 AM Re: Waxed dirt problem [Re: gman]
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
I do the same thing with peat moss. I carry it in a flip top cat litter pail, grab a handful and dump it on my trap--and brush it around and pack it in. No need to sift.

Ron

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.