Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#26264 - 09/24/18 11:58 PM Education!??
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
So I'm on my way to camp, filling up at the local gas pump. Along comes a man in his older work van. He starts complimenting me on the looks of my pickup. Now, at the Nationals last year, I purchased a #3 from Sleepy Creek that was dipped shiny and fixed so it can be mounted into the trailer hitch thingy on the back of my truck. When this fella got around to the back of my ride he said, "Oh and even a bear trap for a hitch plug!" Bear trap? Really?? Folks, I thought just about every dude could tell the difference between a bear trap and one that's just big enough for a bobcats' paw. We really need to educate the general public on the tools of our trade. I think most people believe our traps are big enough to swallow a young child whole, and has teeth to chomp away, like the ones that chase Bugs Bunny around.

Frank.

#26265 - 09/25/18 02:26 PM Re: Education!?? [Re: FLSH ETR]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
To the general public, anything bigger than a mouse trap is a bear trap. I agree that we need to educate the general public about our tools, but only to a certain extent. Not everybody who walks the street needs a trapper ed course. I'm afraid trying to teach them was is a bear trap and what isn't would be a wasted effort. They need to know we use sanctioned tools, that are designed to reduce injury.

#26266 - 09/25/18 03:41 PM Re: Education!?? [Re: FLSH ETR]
Muddober Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Ky
Yeah plus an educated "anti trapping" public would thank they new everything about trapping. Therefore being qualified to make trapping leggishlative decisions! I agree they need a basic understanding but just enuff too keep um dumb not give um ammo!
Colt

#26267 - 09/25/18 04:27 PM Re: Education!?? [Re: Muddober]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
I disagree. A well educated public will make well educated decisions. With the BMP's working for the tools we use, our side of any trapping discussion stands tall. We just need to politely get their attention on the matter.

Frank.

#26268 - 09/25/18 05:27 PM Re: Education!?? [Re: FLSH ETR]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Please bear in mind, the "general" public doesn't give a flip, one way or another, about trapping. They could care less. That is often to our benefit. We must be careful that we don't "shove it down their throat".

#26269 - 09/25/18 06:54 PM Re: Education!?? [Re: FLSH ETR]
Muddober Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Ky
With all do respect the well educated public is trying to make educated disisions on are gun even as we speak. I don't want most not all of the public making my disisions based on what they think they know. Case in point look at common sense gun laws, look up some of the public interviews on what they think they know.
Again with all do respect I do get what your saying.
In a perfect world your be spot on!!
Colt

Edited by Muddober (09/25/18 06:54 PM)

#26270 - 09/25/18 11:43 PM Re: Education!?? [Re: FLSH ETR]
Mike Conrad Offline

Loc: Sheffield, Ohio
On ANY issue about 10-15% of the public is in favor and 10-15% is opposed. And it is the 70-80% in the middle, who couldn't care less about the issue, that decide what is allowed via their votes. Don't like it anymore than the next guy, but those are the simple, basic facts.

#26271 - 09/26/18 02:06 PM Re: Education!?? [Re: FLSH ETR]
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
I have always been a person who preferred to "fly under the radar", so to speak. I enjoy trapping, always did and probably will until I am too old and feeble to walk. BUT-- to use Hal's term, I never "shove it down someone's throat". I guess I take the attitude that "you like corn--and I like beans". I am not going to try to encourage you to eat beans and I won't ridicule you for liking corn. To each his own.

To try to change someone's view or opinion of trapping, when they despise it, isn't worth the effort for me.

Ron

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.