Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#26321 - 10/09/18 08:45 PM Deciding how many traps.
357cyrus Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: North Central Ohio
Whats the most sets you've made in one location and not felt you were wasting your time? I was doing some scouting today and found where two smaller creeks (20 feet accross )came together and then in about 40 yards they dump into a river about 60 feet across. Before the two smaller creeks came together there was a beat down mud trail connecting the two (red line). Im assuming it was a well used coon trail. Im not sure if otter are in the area, and Im not familiar with their sign. The intersection sits in a wooded river bottom surrounded by ag fields, a few ponds, and a swamp. Last year I just hit the two farms closest to this intersection and killed three dozen coons, mostly around their barns, and both farmers say they're having the same problems this year. When i found this trail which is about 25 yards long i thought about blind setting 1.5 coils every 10 feet or so. Would that be over doing it?

#26322 - 10/10/18 06:51 AM Re: Deciding how many traps. [Re: 357cyrus]
Muddober Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Ky
If you thank you got that many it wouldn't be to much in my area id set 1 at each intersection right were the water meets trail on a slider,then add a couple up and down the bank at water edge blind.
maybe a pocket or 2 across the creek if I had that many coon witch I dont.
If trail was brushy I would prolly use a 220 or 2 on the trail instead of foothold to pick up my otter.

If you got plenty of coon 6 traps wouldn't be to many. Hot spots like that on my line with all that water! Between coon mink rat otter beaver sets I could have as many as 10 when I finally pull. Cosy just as much money to drive there and check 1 as it does to check a dozen.

Load her up if you thank the fur is there. Just my opinion!
Colt

Edited by Muddober (10/10/18 06:52 AM)

#26323 - 10/10/18 11:48 AM Re: Deciding how many traps. [Re: 357cyrus]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Put those traps on sliders so you don't destroy the trail.

#26324 - 10/10/18 04:07 PM Re: Deciding how many traps. [Re: 357cyrus]
ron finewood Online   content

Loc: palmyra, new york
Put a trail camera on the red trail. You may be surprised what you see.

Ron

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.