Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#26328 - 10/13/18 02:02 PM Soft catch trap preparation
JT2018 Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Northeastern US
Greetings,

I am new here. On this thread:

http://sullivansline.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=15898

The moderator Hal said of soft catch traps: "...they are more expensive to purchase, harder to prepare, and more expensive to maintain."

I am inquiring about the "prepare" part. What are the differences between preparing conventional traps and preparing soft catch ones (e.g. do I have to take the rubber off before boiling them, dye the rubber differently, etc.)? Can anyone point me to a straightforward set of instructions?

(I also realize from reading the thread linked to above that soft catch traps are controversial. I take no position as to their superiority, inferiority, effectiveness, etc. Let's just say that in order to keep certain people happy I need to use them in this instance).

Advice and guidance much appreciated.

#26329 - 10/13/18 03:50 PM Re: Soft catch trap preparation [Re: JT2018]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
I hose mine off with a power washer, let them dry, and dip them in speed dip. I have been doing it for years. All is still good. I do the same with standard traps, too.

#26330 - 10/13/18 05:17 PM Re: Soft catch trap preparation [Re: JT2018]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I am no longer mandated to use Padded Jaw traps, so I don't. When I did, I dismantled the traps (pads), boiled the traps and pads clean, waxed the metal, and reassembled the traps. I do not use "dip" on land traps.

(You need to modify your profile location to be a little more specific than US.)

Hal

#26331 - 10/14/18 07:38 AM Re: Soft catch trap preparation [Re: JT2018]
JT2018 Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Northeastern US
Hi Hal and Musher,

Thank you for the responses!

Best,

JT

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.