Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#26356 - 10/29/18 06:47 PM Mast Crop
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
At my camp in NE Wisconsin, I do have oak trees. However they don't seem to ever be shedding many acorns. I've been reading up on the Chestnut tree, and how the whitetail deer go crazy over their mast crop. Back in the early 1900s, blight killed billions of these Chestnut trees. Currently though, an hybrid, blight resistant variety called the Dunstan Chestnut is available, with mast available in just 5-7 years. I would enjoy planting three or four of these trees. However, watering them during their first year of growth is essential to their success, and I can not afford the weekly trip to camp to do so. Have any of you had any experience with these trees?

Thanks, Frank.

#26358 - 10/31/18 11:38 AM Re: Mast Crop [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
A while back we had a talk about the American Chestnut. I know of a few spots where there are a few trees, just more or less "alive". Just hanging on. I do know of one, last time I checked it, it looked healthy. It's up near camera #3.

Our woods are changing. Our hemlocks are pretty much all dead, same way with our ash trees. On the bright side, we do have a lot of young oak trees filling in the void. Little trees, 15 inches tall or less.

Let me ask, where can a feller buy these Dunstan Chestnut trees? Wouldn't surprise me if they aren't $25 each or more. The hunt clubs around here have some money in the bank, it'd be worth giving them a try.

We have a Chinese Chestnut out on the farm, not sure if Dad planted the thing, or if Granddad planted it? It's been there as long as I can remember. As well as I know, it has nuts every year.

Compared to the American chestnut tree, the Chinese chestnut is just like a big bush. The one on the farm is maybe 25 feet tall.

#26359 - 10/31/18 05:08 PM Re: Mast Crop [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Check out 'Chestnut Hill Outdoors'. You'll get the whole Dunstan thing.

Frank.

#26362 - 11/01/18 11:39 AM Re: Mast Crop [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Yep, looks like $25 per tree. Here's another link.

https://oak.ppws.vt.edu/~griffin/accf.html

Next time I'm up on the mountain, I'll check the one healthy tree that I know of. I'll take a little sack with me just in case it did produce any nuts.

The actual nuts inside of the burr, they have a very delicate little stem. I've always been told that without that stem intact, that the nut wouldn't take root.

First of November, it may be too late this season. Not sure?

#26385 - 12/03/18 12:42 PM Re: Mast Crop [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

About the first of November, I checked on the Chinese chestnut trees on the farm, we do have 2 trees. Like I said above they are just like a big bush, but both trees had a very good nut crop. There were at least 3 bushels of the outside burrs under the trees. The burrs had already opened up, nuts laying all over the place, and everyone that I looked at had a worm hole.

I picked out one big nut and cut it in half, it also had a worm hole, but part of the nut was still good. Good enough for a deer or other game to eat. My brother was there, he said he likes them best, just stick them in the microwave and warm them up. It's been years since I've eaten one, very similar to an almond taste.

Note to self: Check the chestnut trees about October 1st.

The other day I walked past a small patch of American chestnut trees, there were fresh (this years) leaves laying on the ground, I didn't see any burrs. But the biggest tree is only 3 or 4 inches across the stump. There are a couple of them alive, and that's about it.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.