Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#26321 - 10/09/18 08:45 PM Deciding how many traps.
357cyrus Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: North Central Ohio
Whats the most sets you've made in one location and not felt you were wasting your time? I was doing some scouting today and found where two smaller creeks (20 feet accross )came together and then in about 40 yards they dump into a river about 60 feet across. Before the two smaller creeks came together there was a beat down mud trail connecting the two (red line). Im assuming it was a well used coon trail. Im not sure if otter are in the area, and Im not familiar with their sign. The intersection sits in a wooded river bottom surrounded by ag fields, a few ponds, and a swamp. Last year I just hit the two farms closest to this intersection and killed three dozen coons, mostly around their barns, and both farmers say they're having the same problems this year. When i found this trail which is about 25 yards long i thought about blind setting 1.5 coils every 10 feet or so. Would that be over doing it?

#26322 - 10/10/18 06:51 AM Re: Deciding how many traps. [Re: 357cyrus]
Muddober Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Ky
If you thank you got that many it wouldn't be to much in my area id set 1 at each intersection right were the water meets trail on a slider,then add a couple up and down the bank at water edge blind.
maybe a pocket or 2 across the creek if I had that many coon witch I dont.
If trail was brushy I would prolly use a 220 or 2 on the trail instead of foothold to pick up my otter.

If you got plenty of coon 6 traps wouldn't be to many. Hot spots like that on my line with all that water! Between coon mink rat otter beaver sets I could have as many as 10 when I finally pull. Cosy just as much money to drive there and check 1 as it does to check a dozen.

Load her up if you thank the fur is there. Just my opinion!
Colt

Edited by Muddober (10/10/18 06:52 AM)

#26323 - 10/10/18 11:48 AM Re: Deciding how many traps. [Re: 357cyrus]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Put those traps on sliders so you don't destroy the trail.

#26324 - 10/10/18 04:07 PM Re: Deciding how many traps. [Re: 357cyrus]
ron finewood Online   content

Loc: palmyra, new york
Put a trail camera on the red trail. You may be surprised what you see.

Ron

#26375 - 11/30/18 07:59 AM Re: Deciding how many traps. [Re: 357cyrus]
357cyrus Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: North Central Ohio
Well... that trail went dead before the season started, I didnt even bother setting it. Ric has mentioned to me a couple times that raccoons will just up and leave when whatever they're feeding on dries up. So they must have gone through all the nuts in that river bottom because there were several heavy trails leading into a cornfield about 100 yards away from the creeks I drew above. I set those trails with my kids, and here are the results. 7 coons and 3 grinners... the biggest grinner is holding the camera.

#26378 - 11/30/18 10:41 AM Re: Deciding how many traps. [Re: 357cyrus]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Very good!

#26383 - 12/01/18 07:58 PM Re: Deciding how many traps. [Re: 357cyrus]
Donrob Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: IN
That is awesome! Way to go! Especially with the kids!

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.