Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#26391 - 12/14/18 06:37 PM Trap cleaning in a hurry
Orvis_Battenkill Offline

Loc: Pa
Need an opinion on preparing some traps. I needed more traps to set some new locations so I Bought some more traps off a gentleman down the road since all of mine are out already and producing the best year Iíve ever had. The traps were dyed waxed and not used and put in the top of the tractor shed 2 years ago.. they have some light surface rust and for the most part still dyed but there is wax here and there and not really covering them all.. Iím always paranoid about my k-9 traps and contamination but I am also in a hurry to set these places.. Would it be ok to tune them up to my liking then just boil them a few hours with NO cleaning agent such as dishwashing powder throw in some dye crystals and then re wax them after they dry? Will just the boil remove the old wax without the cleaning agent?

#26392 - 12/14/18 08:38 PM Re: Trap cleaning in a hurry [Re: Orvis_Battenkill]
Dfabs Offline

Loc: Morgantown, West Virginia
Just tune them, take them to the car wash, give them a spray, wax them, and put them to work.

#26394 - 12/15/18 08:41 AM Re: Trap cleaning in a hurry [Re: Orvis_Battenkill]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: Orvis_Battenkill
Would it be ok to tune them up to my liking then just boil them a few hours with NO cleaning agent such as dishwashing powder throw in some dye crystals and then re wax them after they dry? Will just the boil remove the old wax without the cleaning agent?

Yes. You'll get most of the wax off with just boiling water. If they are not in too bad a shape, you might just use them "as is". If a little rust bothered the critters, they would have died of nervous prostration long ago.

#26396 - 12/15/18 10:35 AM Re: Trap cleaning in a hurry [Re: Orvis_Battenkill]
Orvis_Battenkill Offline

Loc: Pa
Thank you for the replies i appreciate it. Wondering if I have wasted a lot of time over the years boiling traps that didnít make catches to remove wax then dye and re wax.. have always been paranoid about contamination so while the door is open to the subject I will ask. Iím talking any traps that didnít make catches that season does anyone just air them out and put them in the wax pot to re wax without removing the old?

#26398 - 12/15/18 12:05 PM Re: Trap cleaning in a hurry [Re: Orvis_Battenkill]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Any trap that didn't make a catch is a clean trap, so to speak. Just brush off the bedding material and hang it back up for next season's set. I see no reason to re-wax.

Frank.

#26399 - 12/15/18 01:14 PM Re: Trap cleaning in a hurry [Re: Orvis_Battenkill]
ron finewood Online   content

Loc: palmyra, new york
I, too, used to boil clean, dye and wax ALL traps every year, even if a trap never caught anything. But, for the past couple years, I did not retreat the non-catch traps and have had no adverse effects like dig outs, refusals, etc., any more than normal. I do go through each trap, however, and recheck pan tension, nite latch, etc., to make sure they are all in tip-top shape.

Ron

#26400 - 12/15/18 03:06 PM Re: Trap cleaning in a hurry [Re: Orvis_Battenkill]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: Orvis_Battenkill
just air them out and put them in the wax pot to re wax without removing the old?

NO!! Don't be so fixated on waxing.

Don't put any traps directly back in the wax pot without cleaning them. You'll mess around and contaminate a whole bucket of wax. Just rinse those traps off with clean water hang them up, and use them again until they make a catch.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.