Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#26411 - 12/21/18 01:15 AM Scat ID help
gman Offline

Loc: New York
I'm wondering if this is bobcat scat. Thanks for any reply's

#26412 - 12/21/18 01:27 AM Re: Scat ID help [Re: gman]
Utk1 Offline

Loc: S.E. Kentucky
That’s what it looks like to me. See any other old white dropping nearby with small bones in them? But I’m not a poop expert.

Edited by Utk1 (12/21/18 01:28 AM)

#26413 - 12/21/18 02:17 AM Re: Scat ID help [Re: Utk1]
gman Offline

Originally Posted By: Utk1
That’s what it looks like to me. See any other old white dropping nearby with small bones in them? But I’m not a poop expert.

None that I saw but I wondered why it didn't cover it up. I'm trying to catch my first bobcat. I came across it this morning while scouting out a new area. I've read that I should set on sign. That's why I'm hoping it is from a bobcat. Thanks for your help Utk1.

#26414 - 12/21/18 01:59 PM Re: Scat ID help [Re: gman]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Hmmm, hard to tell. Looks about the right thickness for a cat turd.

Not sure, but is that some kind of 2-track or 4 wheeler trail?

Just looking at the ground, it's too rocky for a cat to cover up it's crap. New York, end of December, that almost looks like frost or a little dab of snow around those rocks.

Here thinking, I don't recall ever seeing a place where a bobcat has ever dug, like at a mouse or Chipmunk hole.

I do remember finding where a bobcat took a crap on a tree stump, and covered it up with snow. It had it's turd covered good, but that's what was under that little pile of snow.

#26415 - 12/21/18 02:27 PM Re: Scat ID help [Re: gman]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Bobcats are not house cats, they don't cover their droppings in most instances.

Originally Posted By: redsnow
Here thinking, I don't recall ever seeing a place where a bobcat has ever dug, like at a mouse or Chipmunk hole.

Bobcats do not dig. They make their living with their needle sharp claws, and they can't afford to jeopardize dulling their claws with digging.

And that does look like a cat turd. Set a trap.

#26419 - 12/22/18 01:01 AM Re: Scat ID help [Re: gman]
gman Offline

Your right redsnow , it is a 4 wheeler trail. The ground was frozen and there was frost also.

Thanks for confirming it Hal. I can't set a trap on the trail because of kids riding their atv's. I'm thinking of making a set off to the side where I can hang some flagging. This way if one gets caught , it will be out of sight from the atv trail.

I sure would like to catch one on Christmas morning

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.