Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line forum

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#26492 - 02/01/19 08:42 AM Re: GPS Bobcat study. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I'm going to try to put these pictures in order, starting with pic # 241. I'll add pic # 240.

Edited by redsnow (02/04/19 04:56 PM)

#26493 - 02/01/19 08:46 AM Re: GPS Bobcat study. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#26494 - 02/01/19 09:10 AM Re: GPS Bobcat study. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Edited by redsnow (02/11/19 01:04 PM)
Edit Reason: Added pics.

#26495 - 02/02/19 08:03 PM Re: GPS Bobcat study. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, have you guys had a chance to study those pictures?

Those are consecutive pictures. One thing I will tell you, the bobcat went above and below the road, you can't see those tracks in the pictures.

If you look at the middle of the right hand edge of the pictures, the coons are using a den, just out of the picture.

It's just a crack in the rocks, big enough to stick your boot back inside.

The bobcat with the collar weighs 20 pounds, I'd say the biggest coon would go 16 or better.

Like I said above, I drove through the tracks, plus my dog all over the place. My opinion, the coon got away from the bobcat.

#26496 - 02/03/19 05:37 AM Re: GPS Bobcat study. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

This is the map for 2 bobcats on the Grant and Pendleton Co. line.

I'm going to edit the comment above with the facebook link, hopefully that will put this thread back to normal size.

#26500 - 02/06/19 12:38 PM Re: GPS Bobcat study. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
It's pretty gol darn cool to have a collared critter on a game camera. Good thread.

#26511 - 02/11/19 06:41 AM Re: GPS Bobcat study. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I agree it's very interesting. I wish the lady would give us an update on it's travels more often. I just talked to Skiddy the other day, he's not heard a thing. The bobcat has been wearing the collar since Christmas, and only 1 "map" so far. The collar is supposed to send out a signal every 48 hours.

There's a good bit of information in those pictures, let's go up and start with the coyote picture, he's the one that messed up the snow first. Starting with the coyote, those are consecutive pictures, and the timer is pretty much correct too.

Notice how the coyote was trotting out the road, caught wind of the lured rocks, stopped, farted around and went to check it out.

Then the late evening picture of the bobcat (Clark) going between the rocks. Looks like he spent 5 hours below the road.

Pictures at 10:41 and 10:43, you can see how he tinkered around in the road. Then it looks like he spent about 5 hours above the road, guess he made a little circle hunting.

Notice where it jumped off the road bank at 3:58, then walked to the first rock, there are extra tracks there, maybe took a pee?

Now, notice where he's walking in his exact same tracks, about 25 hours difference.

At 7:53 the coons come into the picture, look at 7:54, notice the little speck just above the twig on the left edge of the picture, that's Clark's eyeball.

At 7:54, just reading their body language, both of them are in a kind of defensive mode. Notice the tracks behind the bobcat, looks like he made a hop toward the coon, then maybe had second thoughts. I guess it would depend on how hungry the bobcat would be, but he's been around long enough to know that the coon isn't just going to roll over on it's side and kick a little bit like a rabbit.

I think that is the smaller coon, from the pictures above, but it's going to put up a fight.

Now look at the picture timed 8:03, for 8 minutes they were out of the camera. Look at "Ole Clark", his head is down, tail tucked in. I about halfway think that he got his butt kicked.

Next time I'm up on the mountain, I'll get us a picture of the ground above the road. There are dozens of holes in the rocks, big enough for a coon to get into, within 30 feet of the road. Plus the trees.

And the very next picture is a coon crossing the road. I forget 15 minutes or so behind the bobcat ?

There were 3 or 4 more coon pictures before the picture of my dog, that I didn't add.

I'll add one more comment and I know you guys will agree with this. Look at the last coon picture and the picture of my dog, and look at the number of tracks total. The tracks show up better in the coon picture. A lot of folks would go out that road and think, this place is infested with coons and bobcats. A lot of people wouldn't notice the coyote track, being snowed in, or if they did couldn't ID it.

But we know for a fact there was only 1 bobcat, only 1 coyote and 2 coons for sure. Could have been more than 2 coons?

If. If I'd known what all had went on at this camera, I'd have tracked the coon and bobcat up the side of the mountain 50 or 100 yards, just to see what did happen. But in my opinion, the coon got away from the bobcat. There was no blood or hair, and I can't see any signs of a fight. Something happened for 8 minutes, and we'll never know for sure.

Edited by redsnow (02/11/19 07:48 AM)

#26513 - 02/12/19 02:10 PM Re: GPS Bobcat study. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

This is a print of bobcat "Clark".

#26514 - 02/12/19 02:38 PM Re: GPS Bobcat study. [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
What's the distance between the upper most way point and the lower most? Really nice map out of movement!

Frank.

#26515 - 02/12/19 05:05 PM Re: GPS Bobcat study. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

On the map above, it's right at 5 miles north to south. And 2.5 miles at the widest point.

I'll try this map, I think it was updated January 21st. Not positive.

I'll add the picture in a minute.

This map is 6.3 miles at the longest point. My trail cameras, #2, #3 and #4 are in this picture. He's doing a good job staying away from the roads.

Edited by redsnow (02/12/19 05:21 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.