Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line forum

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#26662 - 05/10/19 05:38 AM Re: GPS Bobcat study. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Notice the pink line, that's the area "blocked" with houses, dogs, livestock and people. Another thing that I don't understand is why the bobcat hasn't been in the red box area. That's over a mile of river line, and until March there was standing corn in the one field. The only thing blocking that area is the public road.

#26663 - 05/10/19 09:21 AM Re: GPS Bobcat study. [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
How did that cat get across the river, and what was he sniffin' for? Probably never heard that curiosity KO'd the feline. And the red area- maybe too flat for too large, and not enough ridges/cliffs?? I guess if we had all the answers, his pelt would already be on someone's stretcher! grin

Frank.

#26664 - 05/10/19 12:38 PM Re: GPS Bobcat study. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

The bridges are in the orange circles.

#26665 - 05/10/19 07:39 PM Re: GPS Bobcat study. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Go back and look at the picture I posted on 2/12/19, it's not cluttered up as bad. The river is near the bottom of the screen, at the base of Little Mtn. Our rivers flow north, in that picture the water flows from left to right. Follow the river down where it makes a hard left, about 1/2 mile from there is the state road bridge.

Notice the straight section of highway on downstream, that's where I took the 2 pictures I posted yesterday or the day before?

If you look at the same picture, near the bottom left, you'll find 4 hay fields, they look almost square from the air. They are split down the middle east to west, and there is a ditch that cuts them at like a 45, from the bottom left. Those fields are on the King's property, and about 200 yards from camera #4.

When you leave the main road going to the King's house, you cross 2 privately owned bridges. The bridges are only 25 yards apart, but the river splits and there is a small island. I guess there are about 5 families that use the bridges daily.

You'll notice the area that I marked off in the "red box", it is pretty much level ground, crop fields and pasture. But I'd think the section of brush between the fields and the river would be ideal small game hunting.

The pink dots are houses. The red spot on the road is where I took the pictures the other day. The dotted yellow line would have been the quickest way for the bobcat to get home. At 2 O'clock in the morning, he'd been able to cross the bridge, sneak down the river 150 yards and been good to go.

Edited by redsnow (05/11/19 06:44 AM)

#26668 - 05/18/19 05:52 AM Re: GPS Bobcat study. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Here's a picture of the north end of Little Mountain, you're looking at the west side. My opinion, the bobcat crossed the bridges, about 100 yards behind where I took this picture. There are 2 roads on Little Mtn, the black lines, a top and bottom road.

There's a road to the left of me that follows the river. As well as I can tell the bobcat spent about 3 days east of the river. But he crossed the top of Little Mtn, and more or less backtracked himself. If you look at the maps above, he was north of the state road bridge, straight off the mountain would have been it's closest route home.

Each one of the "dots" or way-points are 4 hours apart. I counted at least 15, so 60 hours. Seems like there was hesitation around the bridges, seems like he kind of stopped didn't go anywhere. Maybe a vehicle crossed the bridges while he was in the area? Who knows?

#26680 - 05/31/19 12:13 PM Re: GPS Bobcat study. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Here's another update on Clark's movements.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.