Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#26786 - 08/11/19 03:24 AM Question about drags
gman Offline

Loc: New York
I currently have a few MB 550's , Sabertooth drags and 10' sections of chain. Can anyone suggest the best way to attach these ? I also have s-hooks , j-hooks and some in-line swivels. Unfortunately , I'm not sure how to go about attaching these but I think I have everything necessary to do the job. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

#26792 - 08/16/19 07:11 PM Re: Question about drags [Re: gman]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
If you want to attach them permanently just use a J hook in the swivel body on the terminal end of the chain. If you want to be able to remove them when not needed use a 3/16" Quick Link to fasten the drag chain to the swivel body

#26793 - 08/17/19 05:51 PM Re: Question about drags [Re: gman]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I can't envision having a drag permanently affixed to a trap. Especially when it comes time clean the traps. I don't even have the chains permanently affixed to the drag (though I do leave them on most of the time.) I use the 3/16 quick links as suggested. One nice feature with that is when you remove the chain from the trap, you can open the quick link, and gather the chain in long loops and close the quick link. That that virtually eliminates the chains getting tangled.

#26794 - 08/18/19 01:25 PM Re: Question about drags [Re: gman]
Dfabs Offline

Loc: Morgantown, West Virginia
That’s a pretty good idea with the quick links and the chain. I’ve been wrapping my chain around the drag but they always get tangled still.

#26795 - 08/18/19 06:10 PM Re: Question about drags [Re: gman]
gman Offline

Thanks Ric and Hal for suggesting the quick links. That's a good idea. I never used drags before so all the help I get is appreciated.

#26796 - 08/18/19 07:08 PM Re: Question about drags [Re: gman]
gman Offline

I just looked on The Home Depot website and they sell the 3/16 quick links. The zinc-plated ones sell for as low as .90 cents each and the stainless steel one are $4.74 each. I realized the stainless steel ones wont rust and their probably stronger than the zinc-plated ones. Other than the price , is there any other difference ? I don't mind paying more if I know they wont break or come loose when a coyote comes by. As usual , thanks in advance for any opinions and/or suggestions.

#26797 - 08/18/19 10:20 PM Re: Question about drags [Re: gman]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Galvanized is fine. You can get them cheaper from a trapping supply company.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.