Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#26822 - 10/07/19 09:03 PM Otter help!!
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
I was scouting at my up North camp the past few days and found my first Otter toilet, I think.
The description:
Wooded area, small stream, shallow--maybe 6" deep on edges to about 18" deep in middle, 20' wide or so--fairly fast moving.
Small pond, maybe a couple of acres, very shallow, can see bottom, is an old beaver pond from years ago.
Between the pond and the stream is an earth levee [berm] that is about 50' wide at the bottom where it hits the stream and pond water. About 12' wide at the top, flat, old logging road, now growing in with vegetation. Top of berm is maybe 18' above the water level of both the stream and pond.
I noticed a faint trail in the leaves and evergreen needles coming from each waterway, up the bank and over the top of the berm. On the top, there are 3 separate places where the needles are scratched into little tufts, or piles, and there are piles of black, very runny, scat, with fish scales embedded in it. From reading, I think they [ or it ] is an Otter toilet.
Question:
How do I set for them? Can I narrow the entrances to the water with natural sticks and use a 330? Do I use a dive pole? Remember the water is very shallow. I could really use some advice!! Thanks.

Ron

#26823 - 10/08/19 07:25 PM Re: Otter help!! [Re: ron finewood]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
You can use a bodygrip at each end of the trail. You can force otters a lot so don't be afraid to do that. -- Hal

#26824 - 10/08/19 11:40 PM Re: Otter help!! [Re: ron finewood]
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
Thank you! I also just re-read some things in your Otter 2000 book. Good stuff!!

Ron

#26825 - 10/10/19 08:49 AM Re: Otter help!! [Re: ron finewood]
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
A 280 is a better otter trap. Sometimes they get a little too deep in a 330 and dispatch isn't as efficient.

#26826 - 10/10/19 03:48 PM Re: Otter help!! [Re: ron finewood]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
That's true for a 330 with a factory trigger. Putting a longer trigger on a 330 makes it more efficient in catching otter. I replace the triggers on my 330's right out of the box. I put a tension adjustable CDR trigger on all of them. It comes with longer wires -- stainless steel to boot!. I have never broken one of those trigger wires. They don't rust off.

#26974 - 12/29/19 12:26 AM Re: Otter help!! [Re: ron finewood]
Richard2 Offline

Loc: TN
Hello Hal, I adjust my bodygrip triggers so they are 4 way & fairly sensitive. Over 90% of my catches are one jaw just behind the head on both beaver & otter. I imagine it is a little further back on the otters & skids forward a inch upon catching. My question, do you feel that some otters are missed with the stock triggers? That an extra 1 or 2 inch trigger length makes a difference?. Since otter pay my fuel bill while beaver trapping I'm very interested in maximizing the otter catch.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.