Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#26866 - 11/03/19 06:03 PM Feezing green coons
ptberger Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Iowa
Lots of different advice out there on the proper way to freeze coon pelts. I'd like to freeze the green pelts for a couple of months and then flesh them later. I usually have some time off around Christmas/New Years and was planning to flesh them then. Roll them up or freeze flat? Roll from the nose or the tail? Is folding in half better than rolling? Do I put them in a plastic bag? I would only be freezing a few a day so there won't be lots of furs going in the freezer on top of each other if that matters.

I searched for freezing pelts and didn't come up with anything.

Thanks.

#26867 - 11/03/19 07:41 PM Re: Feezing green coons [Re: ptberger]
Mike Conrad Offline

Loc: Sheffield, Ohio
You can use any of those methods you mentioned and probably get satisfactory results. What I do is lay the pelt on its back and flip the head and tail towards the center of the pelt. I then roll the pelt from the nose end towards the tail end and place the pelt in a paper grocery bag along with one or two other pelts. I choose this way to keep freezer burn off of the head area (eyes, ears, mouth) and off of the open end. I have kept pelts over the summer and into the next season with no problems. I do not see any reason why you couldn't fold two or three pelts in half and then if half again and lay them flat into a bag or even a cardboard box. If you have a lot of pelts to freeze at one time spread them out in the freezer. If you pile 10 to 20 coons on top of each other the center may start to decompose before it freezes. Don't see any reason why you couldn't use plastic shopping bags and place one pelt in each bag.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.