Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#26859 - 10/29/19 07:23 PM Skinning Knife
JimEvans Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Mo. Christian County
As a beginner at trapping I am in need of a skinning Knife.
I stopped at our local knife store in Branson and he has like 30 different knives?
I have no idea what I will need.

I am hopping to catch coons, cat's, fox and coyotes.
I plan on freezing the carcasses until I have several coons to practice on.
I have every thing to build a skinning stand.
I just don't have skinning knives just 2 fa lay knives.

Thanks for any help.
Jim

#26862 - 10/31/19 04:53 PM Re: Skinning Knife [Re: JimEvans]
Yoda Online   content
Initiate Member

Loc: Michigan
You pretty much can skin with just about anything, it's more what your comfortable with than anything else, I like shorter blades with little to no flex, a Chicago cutlery paring knife works real nice. Fleshing is another beast in it self.

#26865 - 11/01/19 04:36 PM Re: Skinning Knife [Re: JimEvans]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Yoda's advice is spot on. No need to spend a lot on a skinning knife. A descent quality parring knife like the one mentioned will do just fine for the species mentioned.

I bought one of these sets on a whim a couple years ago. Serrated for around the head and ringing feet. Small knife for skinning. Large knife ended up in the kitchen where it is used quite a lot.

Knife link

When you graduate to Beaver a $15 Dexter/Russel, will serve you till you figure out if you need something else

#26873 - 11/06/19 04:55 PM Re: Skinning Knife [Re: Ric]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
What ever you're comfortable with is the magic term. Ford or Chevy. Henry or Winchester.You'll have to try out different shapes and sizes to find out what's in your comfort zone. I like the small curved blades, as seen below. The white handled one, I believe is called the 'little skinner'. The other one is made by Schrade, and called the 'old timer'. And remember, for skinning, it's pull-cut, pull-cut, etc. Happy skinnin'!! Frank.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.