Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#26876 - 11/09/19 01:11 AM How to dispatch a raccoon caught in a land set??
Wesjr Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: IL
With the least amount of blood, how do you dispatch a raccoon caught in a land set??

#26878 - 11/09/19 02:29 PM Re: How to dispatch a raccoon caught in a land set?? [Re: Wesjr]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
The most commonly used method is with a .22 caliber rim fire firearm. Done correctly there is some clean up but not an excessive amount.

Visually draw a X using the eyes and ears as the end points. The intersection is the aiming point. When the shot is in the cranium bleeding will be kept to a minimum. Keeping the bullet path within the body to eliminate an exit wound will further reduce the amount of blood.

The use of lower powered ammunition with the capability of less penetration is advantageous.

That being said. The most commonly available round with suitable power and minimal penetration is the .22 Short HP.

Excessive blood can be washed off with COLD water before or after skinning

#26879 - 11/09/19 07:10 PM Re: How to dispatch a raccoon caught in a land set?? [Re: Ric]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
I favor hanging a body grip necklace on the critter. You can purchase a gizzmo that fastens to the end of your staff of choice. It holds the body grip trap in place for it use. Mine is currently up at camp so can not show a pic of it. But below is one I created before I purchased the store bought one. The trick to using it is to approach the coon very slowly, and directly into it's face. When the coon gets a little more comfortable with you being there, it will stretch out it's neck to get a sniff of what you're offering. That's when you thrust this setup forward. The trap will locate itself around the neck, and an humane and bloodless dispatch will occur. As with any method of dispatch, great care should be taken. The animal will be at the far end of the chain or cable used to secure the trap. If the animal has a mind to, it can lunge forward at twice that chain length. I have a 6ft handle on my setup.

Just my 2 cents worth. We all have our favorite methods.

Frank.

#26973 - 12/29/19 12:08 AM Re: How to dispatch a raccoon caught in a land set?? [Re: Wesjr]
Richard2 Offline

Loc: TN
I favor blunt force trauma. I use a walking/wading stick that is substantial & am very careful as to how I wield it, a substantial amount of force directly between the ears is immediately effective. This is only for open land areas where you have the proper room for this technique. Lacking those necessary ingredients I favor a 22 short.

#27392 - 02/05/20 02:48 AM Re: How to dispatch a raccoon caught in a land set?? [Re: Wesjr]
trapnjon Offline

Loc: North Carolina
like FLSH ETR I use a dispatch pole especially when dong ADC work in town.

#27679 - 06/23/20 02:12 PM Re: How to dispatch a raccoon caught in a land set?? [Re: Wesjr]
Dfabs Offline

Loc: Morgantown, West Virginia
I dispatch everything I catch on land with my Death Ray except skunks. It does leave a light mark on the leather side...especially on coon, but I’ve never had it negatively effect my grade. No more blood in the back of my truck or on the fur at all.

#27801 - 09/22/20 12:28 AM Re: How to dispatch a raccoon caught in a land set?? [Re: Wesjr]
WVofit Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: WV
I'd like to try the body grip and pole that FLSH ETR showed but I'm not sure what size trap to use. I use a .22 now, but I've got a guy who wants a few skulls but without the .22 size hole.

#27802 - 09/22/20 05:36 PM Re: How to dispatch a raccoon caught in a land set?? [Re: Wesjr]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I think that is #220.

#27803 - 09/23/20 05:17 PM Re: How to dispatch a raccoon caught in a land set?? [Re: Wesjr]
littleguns Offline

Loc: Jay, Maine
Wesjr
I use a .22 long rifle hollow point in a hand gun.
I shoot my coon just behind and up tight to the shoulder for a lung shot.
I haven't had a round go all the way through and have very little if any blood.
The coon expires in less than 60 sec. With no thrashing around. They just go to sleep.
Head shots seem to bleed for ever.

#27813 - 09/28/20 06:29 PM Re: How to dispatch a raccoon caught in a land set?? [Re: Wesjr]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Yeah WVofit, that is a #220. The larger trap size gives you more room for fudge factor. IE-the critter moves sideways, or you sneeze while performing the task. grin

Frank.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.