Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#26904 - 11/30/19 05:23 PM peat moss problems
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
My area is now in the freeze/thaw time of year, along with some intermittent snow and rain. It appears that coyotes are scarce here now as I am only seeing and catching fox sign and Red Fox. I am having tons of dig outs. Daily!! The peat moss is carefully dug away from the trap, exposing the entire top of the trap---still set and in its bed. Sometimes, the trap is flipped up, but still set. I am careful with solid bedding and I don't think I have an odor contamination issue. Is this common with peat moss? Have other trappers had digging issues with peat? I don't know how to correct the problem.

Ron

#26906 - 12/01/19 01:08 PM Re: peat moss problems [Re: ron finewood]
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
Is your peat just covering the trap or is it covering a wide area also?

With peat and diggers it sometimes helps to cover a wide area, like 3 feet, in front of the trap. That way the animal has already checked out the peat smell and felt the peat underfoot prior to the set.

A second trap will often solve your problem, too.

#26907 - 12/01/19 04:01 PM Re: peat moss problems [Re: ron finewood]
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
Great advice!! Thank you!

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.