Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Photo

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#26890 - 11/23/19 03:10 PM Poor Man's Triple
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
At least I could get them in the same photo.

#26891 - 11/24/19 08:41 AM Re: Poor Man's Triple [Re: Hal]
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
That must feel good to walk up to and see. Congrats.

(I almost wrote the obligatory "There sure must be a lot of coyotes in your area" comment as a joke!) smile

#26929 - 12/11/19 04:13 PM Re: Poor Man's Triple [Re: Hal]
ron finewood Online   content

Loc: palmyra, new york
Nice picture and nice catch, Hal!! I am amazed at the location though. There is a lot of vegetation around that front set and I am surprised that a coyote found it. The rear sets are even more so. Why did/would you set those rear sets in such a thick area? It looks like the flat field butts up against a hillside. Is there a game trail and/or a 2-track there? Also, when you set in such a thick/wooded area aren't you bothered with non-targets like coon, possums, skunks, etc?

#26930 - 12/12/19 03:04 PM Re: Poor Man's Triple [Re: Hal]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Pictures can be deceiving. That location is actually an undergrazed cattle pasture. It was bushhogged once during the summer or the weeds you are seeing would be head high. The angle of the camera tends to concentrate the weeds and makes it look denser that it really is. Here is another angle on the coyotes in the background. Just over the bank is a small wet weather drain, and the farmer had cut a new crossing across it. Those coyotes were coming up that crossing.

You can see that's a fairly clear area. The feature that makes the location unique is in the drain background and the crossing on it.

This is the angle looking back at the third coyote.

I rely on the coyote's nose to find this sets, just as much as the visual attractors.

Edited by Hal (12/13/19 08:38 AM)

#26931 - 12/12/19 03:53 PM Re: Poor Man's Triple [Re: Hal]
ron finewood Online   content

Loc: palmyra, new york
That is very impressive and these new pictures do give me a clearer understanding of the set up. Very nice --and no snow and frozen ground to deal with at that time, although I see you have a jacket on, so it must be a little crisp out.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.