Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#6242 - 04/20/07 04:17 AM Re: avoiding otters in beaver sets
Otterwater0566 Offline

Loc: Austin, AR
Otters-Toilets are found, usually on the high bank side, left or right doesn't seem to matter that I've noticed. Trails/crossovers-if beaver use it, otter will use it. Dead center crossovers produce more otter than side trails for me. Hip catches are more common w/trigger wires down the side. I don't know any fool proof methods. If the otter population is high, try to wait for cold weather to trap areas they use most.

#6243 - 04/20/07 12:12 PM Re: avoiding otters in beaver sets
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Newt, we have dragged this off topic now. I never paid much attention whether an otter toilet was on the right or the left hand side of water flow as you face upstream. So I thumbed through a few pictures in the file and tried to remember where they came from. There are just as many on the left as there are on the right.

There is one little tributary into the Ohio where I can find otter toilets almost every day of the year, and they are always on the left at the top of the high bank.

smile -- Hal

#27001 - 01/07/20 04:52 PM Re: avoiding otters in beaver sets [Re: tommypaul]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.