Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#7897 - 11/30/08 09:59 PM targeting back feet on beaver
dodgetrapper Offline

Loc: Virginia
I set mostly Sleepy Creek 4#s for beaver at pull out locations and dam cross over’s. I normally position the trap for a front foot catch and have had good sucsess doing it this way, especially in picking up a few otter. My question is, is there any advisable reason to set for a back foot catch and if so why? Also if you were to set for a back foot catch on a beaver you would theoretically miss more otter because of the size difference of the two?

#7898 - 12/01/08 07:03 AM Re: targeting back feet on beaver
haf2sell Offline

Loc: SW Michigan
Quote:
... is there any advisable reason to set for a back foot catch and if so why?
1- A more reliable and durable hold than a front foot catch.

2- Species specific (eg. in areas otter aren't allowed to be caught, avoiding racoon, muskrats etc.).

Regards,

#7899 - 12/01/08 08:47 AM Re: targeting back feet on beaver
dodgetrapper Offline

Loc: Virginia
So how is a back foot catch more reliable? If the beaver trips the trap with his toes on the back foot, he could pull out easily in an offset trap, but if that front foot hits the pan there is not much he can do.
I’m just asking not trying to argue with you.

#7900 - 12/01/08 10:34 AM Re: targeting back feet on beaver
haf2sell Offline

Loc: SW Michigan
Dodge-

You are adding another variable with the OS jaw laugh

As for the toe catch (effect is the same for front or rear foot), you would have set the trap to deep, or postitioned wrong. Have had sprung traps (toes, water current from the swimming foot etc.? Not sure the cause...) that by adjusting depth/posistion have produced favorable results.

As for more reliable- more mass in the hind foot if one makes a catch as intended- pad, or just a little above.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather maintain or increase my odds of "one in the bag"! laugh :p

#7901 - 12/01/08 01:04 PM Re: targeting back feet on beaver
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
A back foot catch will be more reliable where drowning conditions may be marginal. A beaver's front foot is very fragile and frankly they can amputate unless they are in a positive drowning situation. That said, pullouts and other places where beaver are naturally leaving the water can be target readily with a front foot catch. But at castor mounds I target a back foot catch because a beaver may be coming to the mound with mud clutched in its front feet.

Hal

#27014 - 01/07/20 10:56 AM Re: targeting back feet on beaver [Re: dodgetrapper]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.