Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3421 - 12/26/08 02:47 PM Re: perfect coon trap and mods excluding connies
trapper man Offline

Loc: Bedford co.,PA.
It seems like if you open your mouth about traps around here,you get a BMP shoved in it!

#3422 - 12/26/08 03:31 PM Re: perfect coon trap and mods excluding connies
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
You give me another trap performance study. That has been conducted under the supervision of wildlife professionals and that includes protocols, documentation and verifiable evidence.

If you can do that I’ll let you continue. If not I suggest you stick to the topic

#3423 - 12/26/08 10:31 PM Re: perfect coon trap and mods excluding connies
CoonCaller Offline

Loc: Formerly NY, now TN
I use 1 1/2 duke coils, to modify them I add more swivels, use about 6-10" straight link chain and night latch. I probably should note that I have expierenced foot chewing at times when I wasn't able to check at first light, but as long as I show up at dawn I'm fine no chewing (I do not run long lines so fast check times are possible).

#3424 - 12/27/08 06:50 PM Re: perfect coon trap and mods excluding connies
Rustytrapper Offline

Loc: NY
The two traps I've like the best have been the #1 Northwoods square jaw coiled with and without the stoploss wire. And the Victor 1.5 coil pinch pan. I don't do anything to power them up and it seems the coon still gets some circulation to their foot as I have seen little or no chewing. Purhaps the older and slightly weekend springs. And the small ones I've let go seem to be just fine.

#3425 - 12/29/08 03:37 AM Re: perfect coon trap and mods excluding connies
littleguns Offline

Loc: Jay, Maine
I use a 1.5 double jaw coil with 2 swivels and 6" of chain with a ground anchor. The reason for the 1.5 is we have fox and coyote roming around also and it is not uncommon to get one while going for coon or vice verser. Also the seasons run together so off target catches aere not a problem.
littleguns

#27082 - 01/07/20 06:20 PM Re: perfect coon trap and mods excluding connies [Re: outdoorfool]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.