Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Fur Handling Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#11832 - 04/15/09 11:08 PM Re: making a Fleshing Beam
45/70 Offline

Loc: South Georgia, usA
A power hand belt sander is another tool that works well in shaping hide boards.
Later,
45/70,
RKBA!

(Edit: Typo -- Hal

#11833 - 04/23/09 02:51 AM Re: making a Fleshing Beam
hughesj23 Offline

Loc: texas
I just finished making a second fleshing beam for the fur shed. The beam I used this year (MB on the left) was WAY too wide for our gray fox. I needed to get myself something smaller so the grays would fit.

I traced one of my gray fox stretchers onto a 2X6 and cut it out with a jib saw. I used a hand held belt sander to shape it to fit my Necker 600...which brings up my question...

Hal said:
"It's important for your knife to have a reasonable bearing surface, not too little and not too much."

As I found out this year with my MB which has too much curvature IMO, I understand why too little bearing surface is not ideal. It creates a lot of work. But wouldn't a curve that perfectly fits your fleshing knife be ideal? Would that be too much bearing surface?

MB - too much curvature:

Homemade - better fits the fleshing knife curve:

#11834 - 04/23/09 11:44 AM Re: making a Fleshing Beam
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
If the radius of your knife and beam is the same you will working on the total width of the beam at all times. When fleshing Grey fox on a 4" beam you could do it. Try that with Beaver, Otter or Coon on a 6-7" beam and it will be physically impossible for most and give a whole new meaning to pushing hard for those that can :~). There is also the issue of controlling the knife. The wider the area you are working on the harder you are pushing and the less control you have.

#11835 - 04/23/09 04:36 PM Re: making a Fleshing Beam
hughesj23 Offline

Loc: texas
Okay, thanks, Ric. That makes sense. I am looking forward to trying multiple animals on my smaller, less curved beam to see which I prefer, and to see what changes I may still want to make.

#27274 - 01/08/20 03:55 PM Re: making a Fleshing Beam [Re: elmer]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.