Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#17491 - 04/17/07 09:14 AM Re: human scent
animalpest Offline
Member+

Loc: Western Australia
Well to get it in perspective -

I spend a lot of my time eradicating foxes from remnant bush reserves. That means every single fox, be it young stupid ones, old ones, smart ones, shy ones, I must get them all.

And I do this from tropical to southern forests, deserts, beaches and urban areas covering an area a third the size of continental USA, so the difference in localities and fox behaviour would be apparent (and so called "in my area" syndrome would clearly show). I use the same general techniques everywhere, varying only the type of trap and the set type.

Now to do that, you would think if I was doing something wrong with human scent, I wouldnt catch the smart, shy foxes. But I catch them all.

I wear work clothes. I get dirty and sweat. I set traps when it's 115 degrees and humid, and I set traps when its cold. I wear shorts when its hot and short sleeved shirt.

I wear the same work boots everywhere and they do just fine. I wear clean gloves, and I dont touch clean traps. I use a kneeling cloth, a hessian bag, most times. I dont let sweat drop directly onto my trap or trap-bed, but otherwise I dont care cos I cant help it sometimes when its "50 in the waterbag".

I have many times spent much too long at a trap site showing someone how to trap.

My trapping tools I use for every type of trap (including remakes) and they get put into my tool box on my 4x4 with all the other stuff I carry around to do all the other work I do.

I am pedantic about how clean my traps are for foxes. I am not quite so much for dingoes. I dont always wax my traps!

I often set traps for foxes for only 1-3 nights and for dingoes 1-5 nights. I dont set traps after 3pm.

I have had many animals shy away from a certain lure, and I have caught them in the next trap.

And looking at my records for the past 7 years (thats all the records I keep), I have caught every single animal, every single time. Now those are facts which can be readily proven.

Put a clean trap in the ground and set it properly. You will get your target animal.
Mike

#17492 - 04/17/07 12:08 PM Re: human scent
predator145 Offline

Loc: south west Louisiana
what I get from what you just said is that human scent isnt an issue as long as you have a clean trap. Do I understand you correctly?

#17493 - 04/17/07 12:16 PM Re: human scent
animalpest Offline
Member+

Loc: Western Australia
What I am saying is that there is no need to be so worried about human scent other than take reasonable precauctions.

Sure I know some animals shy away from recent human scent, just as some shy away from the best made lure by the most reputable lure maker.

I find there are more important issues than human scent for almost all animals, with due care taken.

I just take exception to the hard line taken on being (what I would consider) "over the top" on human scent precautions when it flies in the face of the facts.
Mike

#17494 - 04/18/07 12:10 AM Re: human scent
predator145 Offline

Loc: south west Louisiana
This thread has been answered by many so one last thought or maybe better yet, a tip. its in the American Trapper magazine that just came out. Its on page 34 inside an article by Jim Helfrich. His article is titled Secrets from the trap line and the topic is bedding traps. He states that he has bedding a trap down to 90 seconds. Thats pretty fast to me. He states that" less time at making a set equals more sets in a day. It also equals less human scent left at the location. So there you go, one way to keep scent down is to learn to bed fast and leave less scent.!!

#17495 - 04/18/07 12:31 PM Re: human scent
J Severing Offline
Member+

Loc: Livingston Manor N.Y. 12758
like hal had mentioned and more than likley jim helfrich mentioned also, proper bedding shouldnt be replaced for the need of speed, but speed should come with practice or experince... the more you do something the quicker it becomes..

also the words "can get more sets in the ground in a day"... for the most part at least to me means they are probably rotating through an area... here today gone in a few.... or like a friend of mine likes to say "new places new faces"...
just some thoughts.....jim

#27298 - 01/08/20 04:02 PM Re: human scent [Re: predator145]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.