Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#17320 - 05/24/08 12:53 AM Re: Where do you stand on off-season trapping?
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
There are several ways to look at this. First it is important to separate recreational, or sustained, use from animal control work. I was really just baiting Keith. I recognize the need for non-conservative measurers to control individual or populations of animals. And this sometimes entails less than palatable outcomes. But I do think it behooves us not to become glib about this. There is a difference between being resolved and being coldhearted.

Personally, I could never get enthusiastic about doing nuisance animal work in the summer. And that is partly because I don't relish orphan animals. I'm not saying I'm against it, I just don't want to do it.

In the realm of recreational, or conservative use of these resources, we don't rely on personal "ethics". We have rules and regulations. Some animals are not afforded protection. If you want to take them in the spring or summer, you can. This has been deemed not to be detrimental to the populations. If a person acts within the confines of the law, then it is not up to me judge their actions. If I don't think the law is adequate, I will petition to change it.

Hal

#17321 - 05/24/08 01:51 AM Re: Where do you stand on off-season trapping?
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
You keep on putting we and indiscriminate killing together.Frankly I am getting a little tired of it.I don't kill indiscriminatly,Hal doesn't Tom Doesn't and Kieth doesn't.When I do kill something there is a reason and I can rationally justify it.You may not like the justification or be able to understand the reasoning.That is what happens when you try insert your personal morality into a reasoned arguement.

There are slob trappers,hunters and fisherman out there.There are also folks who will kill something just because they can.No way I'm going to change that.They are the exception not the rule and certainly don't represent"sportsmen"

I can and do inform non trappers as to how responcible trapping is practiced today.That is how you go about countering those who would cause others to percieve us as unethical.

Tell people the truth in a reasonable manner and you will be suprised how many will accept what we do

#17322 - 05/24/08 01:55 PM Re: Where do you stand on off-season trapping?
pinch Offline

Loc: s\e ohio
i dont mean to imply u or hal, or buzzard would do such things. that is not what i was trying to do.and i am not trying to interject my own sense of rite or wrong. you are rite, education is key. the point i thought i was making is the fact that like it or not you ,me , hal ,all of us are judged on the actions of every other outdoorsman . rather we like it or not. i would bet u have been denied permision to hunt or trap by a landowner whos reason was ,he use to let folks until he had some guy..... no i dont do much summer work unless it is nessisary,,my choice. do i look down on someone who dose? no! the point is that you and i can agree to disagree about the P.r. aspect i donthave as much faith in the general public. THEY lump us all together, like it or not! i wish you wererite and we could all be judged by our own actions ,,but "we" arent. some day ric i will buy you a cup of coffee , and we can chat some more. i will be at lima. what would this world be if we all agreed!? i havent typed this much in years. but i do enjoy a good discussion/ debate. mabey we got someone to think a little. ya'all have a good holiday weekend ,,be safe , doug

#27318 - 01/08/20 04:06 PM Re: Where do you stand on off-season trapping? [Re: KSCATMAN]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.