Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#14559 - 05/19/09 11:37 AM Air Currents
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Had an interesting occurrence the other night. Weather conditions were just right so that a low fog developed just as the sun was setting.Just behind the shop is a pond and you could watch the fog move out of the adjacent field to the pond and rise in the up draft created by the warmer water. I've known that this occurs for a long time but had never seen it so well demonstrated. You could see very clearly the air movement from 25-30 yards from the pond. Even little vortexes and swirls were clearly visible. Just one of those things you need to file away in the "should pay attention to" category.

#14560 - 05/20/09 06:54 AM Re: Air Currents
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I made an interesting observation like that this spring.

We had a fire in the Shawnee State forest (burned 3,000 acres). The fire was above me a few miles. Through the day, you couldn't tell the fires were burning. But when I would get up in the morning, you could smell and actually see the smoke in the air.

Moral of the story? In hill country, at night when the air cools it sinks into the hollows and valleys and flows down hill, just like water. That's a good thing to keep in mind when you're choosing set location.

Hal

#27335 - 01/08/20 10:13 AM Re: Air Currents [Re: Ric]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.