Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#17694 - 07/18/10 11:38 AM Re: Registered Traplines
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
You must have your "card." It is not an easy thing to get. It disappears after 5 ( I think) generations of "mixed" blood.

#17695 - 07/20/10 08:59 AM Re: Registered Traplines
gth Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Registered lines are mostly in the northern section of the province. Most of the south is privately owned/urban or agricultural land.

I think the registered line system works well here. Its not that hard to find a line if you are willing to travel some distance. If you arent willing to travel and live in a populated area it will be harder to get a line but private land permits are available.

I like the fact that I can decide how to manage the area with no fear of competition. Like right now my marten are in trouble. I'm allowed to take 67 per season but we only took 6 last year and none the year before in order to give them a boost. You cant do that with out sole access to thousands of acres.

The downside to a registered line is the fact you must catch 75% of your beaver quota or risk a fine or possibly loosing the line.

(This is for ontario, I'm not sure of the rules elsewhere)

#17696 - 07/20/10 10:34 AM Re: Registered Traplines
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
How do the powers that be establish the #'s you must or are allowed to take?

#17697 - 07/20/10 11:04 AM Re: Registered Traplines
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
And who counts the beaver pelts? -- Hal

#17698 - 07/20/10 12:42 PM Re: Registered Traplines
gth Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
The beaver quotas are based on the number of active houses in the Trapping area multiplied by 1.5 beavers per house. 60 houses = a quota of 90 beaver. You would be required to catch 67.5 beavers.(75%) I dont know how often they fly an area.

The other critters quotas are based on who knows what. The MNR has biologist I assume to figure all that out. Plus they are a little flexible. If I tell them the lynx are very high in population they can increase my quoto so I can take advatage of it before the population crashes. (as it will)

The pelts are counted when you ship them to the Fur Auction. They report to the MNR. This applies to all critters on the line. My lynx quota is 5, so when NAFA and FHA report to the MNR how many lynx I submitted to them it had better not add up to more than 5.

The only animals I have quotas for are beaver, lynx and marten. Plus one bear. All the rest are at my discretion.

Seperate to my trapping licence the area is also licenced for bait(minnows and leeches)and bear management.(the outfitting rights to guide bear hunters in the area.)

My Head trapper has retained those licences. He can make a tidy profit from these activities as well as bait is in high demand and he guides American bear hunters for 2 weeks every fall.

#27351 - 01/08/20 10:22 AM Re: Registered Traplines [Re: Ric]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.