Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#27140 - 01/07/20 01:30 PM 1/16 cable for Raccoons
Jeff S Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: SE Louisiana
Hey everyone, I'm just learning about the use of snares and I am interested to know about some of the limitations of using 1/16th cable for coons. I know 3/32 is the recommended cable but if 1/16th can be used for Fox why isn't it recommended or used for coon? Do raccoons tend to behave differently in the snare than a fox and so it's a difference of tension that gets put in the cable? CAN you use 1/16th cable (7x7) for raccoons and if so what are some considerations for doing that?

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

#27360 - 01/12/20 08:05 AM Re: 1/16 cable for Raccoons [Re: Jeff S]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Raccoon behave much more aggressively and have more endurance than R Fox when captured. I have never had a coon chew through a snare, but I have certainly had a lot of snares "un-wound". At that point any swivels are usually disabled and the individual wires of the cable are susceptible to breaking.The individual wires of 7 X 7 1/16" are much more prone to this than the larger diameter wire of 7 X 7 3/32.

1/16 tends to mark the hide more that 3/32 if you are selling the pelts

#27361 - 01/12/20 12:04 PM Re: 1/16 cable for Raccoons [Re: Jeff S]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
1/16 cable works well on fox. For one thing, fox are neck snared and 1/16 cable chokes down tighter allowing you to dispatch the fox quicker. Most coon are not neck snared. In fact you will probably have trouble neck snaring coons because they can take their front paws, and push the snare off over their head. Also coons, as Ric said, are more aggressive than fox and the risk of chewing the small 1/16 cable in two is much greater.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.