Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#27355 - 01/08/20 08:49 PM Fleshing knife
ptberger Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Iowa
I inherited a single bevel fleshing knife from a friend (Necker style although I don't know the brand). It had been sharpened with a knife sharpener at some point as it has a bevel on both sides. The bevel on the "flat" side was smaller than the beveled side but there was a visible bevel. I ground the bevel down to where it meets the flat side again but now I need to sharpen the knife. How do you sharpen your fleshing knives and what would you use to sharpen a really dull one? I'm struggling with only sharpening one side and getting it sharp.

Also I just went through the archives and learned I've been using single bevel fleshing knives upside down (bevel side up). I can't wait to try it right-side up. Learn something all the time on this board.

#27356 - 01/09/20 08:56 AM Re: Fleshing knife [Re: ptberger]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I'm unclear exactly what knife you have. "Necker" is actually a brand of knife. "Necker-style" usually means the knife is sharpened on both the inside and outside curve. Is that what you have?

You can use an ordinary whet stone to sharpen the convex side (outside curve) of the knife. If it is really dull, you may need a flat file. Just make sure you maintain that single bevel. The inside curve doesn't need to be really sharp. In fact you don't want it too sharp. I'm fortunate to have an old scythe sharpening stone that I use but round stone are hard to come by. I think a round file would work for the inside curve.

Anybody else have an suggestions?

#27357 - 01/09/20 01:22 PM Re: Fleshing knife [Re: ptberger]
ptberger Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Iowa
I'm sorry for the confusion. My knife looks like the Necker brand knives (handles look identical) so I assumed it was patterned after those, but maybe it's not.

The convex side is the side I ground and am trying to sharpen. The concave side has a bevel on the also but it is squared off on the edge so it has maybe an 1/8" flat area for pushing.

I've used a flat file to get the convex side bevel to what looks like the right general shape, but it's not real sharp yet. I can try a whet stone. Is there a trick to following the bevel outside of going slowly and being careful?

Thanks

#27358 - 01/09/20 01:39 PM Re: Fleshing knife [Re: ptberger]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
No trick other than as you said go slow and careful. Also, in working the beveled edge you my roll a microscopic portion of the metal over to the flat side. Ever so often, take the stone on the flat side, lay it flat against the surface, and polish off whatever burr you may have turned.

And the inside curve, with the 1/8 inch flat, is just exactly what you want.

#27362 - 01/13/20 01:28 PM Re: Fleshing knife [Re: Hal]
Yoda Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Michigan
I bought a set of Dunns paper wheels to sharpen my Zeph fleshing knife, mostly only have to run it across the polishing wheel to get a shaving edge..

#27678 - 06/23/20 09:06 AM Re: Fleshing knife [Re: ptberger]
Dfabs Offline

Loc: Morgantown, West Virginia
A WorkSharp works pretty well for sharpening your fleshing knife initially. Thatís what I used when I used to have one of the cheaper fleshing knives to get the blade sharp for beaver. Once itís sharpened, a butchers steel will maintain it pretty well. I use a Steinmeyer knife now and I can shave hair off of my arm with the sharp side just by maintaining it with the butchers steel.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.