Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#2738 - 04/05/07 05:29 PM Bobcat cubbies
phys23 Offline

Loc: Idaho
I've read a few books on bobcat trapping and most of the authors contradict each other (same with most trapping books). However, I was wondering if anyone has ever used cubbies for Bobcats? I've heard of them being used and in "Fur-Fish-Game" I've even read that they are a really good set. Have you had any success with them? If so, what do you build them with? Do you use natural material and build them onsite or do you build them before the season?

Paul

#2739 - 04/09/07 02:19 AM Re: Bobcat cubbies
phys23 Offline

I'm replying to myself because I saw someone ask about bucket sets for bobcats. Can't seem to get someone to describe what a cubby for a 'cat would look like. Is this some closely guarded secret?

#2740 - 04/09/07 08:30 PM Re: Bobcat cubbies
45/70 Offline

Loc: South Georgia, usA
Most of my cats are taken in cubbies. I bait with a large bait, a beaver carcass, or ½ a beaver carcass, or a beaver tail and feet left over from skinning. Even though the bait is in a cubby, I usually do a litte scratch-up over it.
It didn't take me long to learn to wire the bait to a tree, log, wire fence or fence post, or to stake it down.

I do not do elaborate cubbies, as I have seen pictured, or in books. I do not make cubbies, and transport them to my set-site. I locate a suitable backing in a suitable area, and put my bait in place, and secure it.

What I want is a natural backing in the area I want to set. The backing can be a tree, a stump, a rock, bluff rock or dirt, along the trunk of a downed tree, a larghe stump or a V- formed by a large downed branch. I have had good results in making a cat walk the trunk of a downed tree to the root ball where I put my bait.

When my bait is in place, and I have done a little scratch-up over it, I'll make my cubbie.
Nothing elaborate. I make what I call a "Brush Arbor" cubbie, by fencing off a V with the bait in the small end. For fencing I use what is at hand in the way of sticks and brush.

With the cubby made, and the bait in place I place my trap a step or so into the mouth of the cubby, and offset to one side or the other. I use a stepping stick Ok now that every thing is finished, I lure the set. I use cat urine as my primary lure.

"Store bought" urine from a reliable source is ok, but bladder urine is better. I have had trappers tell me that a cat releases all his urine on being caught. I do not find this to be true. After skinning my cats, I open them up, carefully remove the bladder, and "milk" it into a clean jar. I do not mix my bladder urine and my bought urine. Once I have drained the bladder, I place it in another clean jar.

I set the collected urine back, and freeze the bladders until I have enough to use. I course chop the bladders, and add some sodium benzoate to them. In a couple of days, I add the chopped bladders to the urine. In most cases it does no harm to mix urine and bladders from different cats. However, if you catch a female that's in season,you might want to keep these
"collectables" to themselves. If you want, you can save the anal glands, and a short piece of the colon. I chop these, and let them mildly taint. Again, add the sodium benzoate. Mix them with the bladders as you chop them, and add to the urine.

I fling a few drops of urine over the bait, and leave it alone. If I am using bought urine, I'll do a light spray over the bait. Some folks worry about a cat tearing down the cubby. So what? It's so simple, that it can easily be re-built.

Some things I have learned are that: A skinned beaver carcass works better that one fully furred. A scratch-up works better than a naked carcass. A tore-up set-site works better than when it is new. Drag the carcass usually from two directions in front of, and into the cubby site.

I once trapped with a man who had an uncanny ability to wire a beaver carcass to a tree, set a body gripper out from it, and catch a cat on the first night. I cannot do this, but... ,

What I can do, is, if I have a miss with a foot hold, I can begin weaving a body gripper into the cubby, and the cat will walk thru it. I know that this use of large body grippers is not legal in all states, nor is it advised in a community containing large numbers of pets, etc.
Use some judgement with body grippers on land.

The best cubby I ever had was an eroded cut bank below a man made pond. This cut bank was where much of the dam dirt had come from. It had eroded in a manner that left a tall column of dirt standing within the front of of the large V formed by the run off. The edge of a major creek swamp lay only a few yards from my natural cubby. The damp fan of washed-out dirt in front of the cut bank showed scores of cat tracks coming up from the swamp, and returning.

I put a beaver carcass in the back of the V, and on the first night had two cats. I changed out the carcass about once a week. Most folks don't believe how many cats I took from that set, so I don't say any more. It was a real honey hole, and paid for my time and trouble to check it even after the bulk of my line had swung away from that area.

Remenber too, that if the circumstances are right, you can use snares effectively at a cubby.

One last thought, IMEx, a bucket is a poor substitute for a cubby.

Adios,
45/70,
RKBA !!!

#2741 - 04/11/07 05:05 AM Re: Bobcat cubbies
phys23 Offline

Thanks for the info 45/70. I was wondering if anyone out there might have a picture of what a natural cubby looks like (a cubby made from debris at the set)? Sure would like to see one.

Paul

#2742 - 04/11/07 11:47 AM Re: Bobcat cubbies
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Phys23.
It sounds like your trying to make this more complicated than it need be.Your not trying to build a house smile .Think of it as a structure that protects your attractor more or less and forces the animal to approach from the direction you want(over the trap).Building materials are only limited by your imagination and what is available at the location you selected.Rocks,sticks,branches,bark,leaves,dirt and anything else easy to move are all suitable building material.Don't be afraid to use natural features as a starting point.A crevase in the rocks,stump,low branches or spur roots on a tree can all be incorparated into the cubby.
I've seen some that if they would run water to them I'd move in.Don't think they catch more fur than the rather shabby afairs I use

#2743 - 04/11/07 03:03 PM Re: Bobcat cubbies
claythomas Offline

Loc: south central PA
I think this particular thread is a great example of how this whole Bulletin Board set-up is supposed to work!!!!!!!!!!

#2744 - 04/11/07 04:33 PM Re: Bobcat cubbies
phys23 Offline

Thanks Ric. I guess I shouldn't be too concerned about the construction of a cubby. I know that 45/70 uses mostly footholds at the entrance to the cubby (posted above). However, I was wondering if cubbies could be mostly used with body grip traps? I know he said he uses them on occassion, but what about running a good share of the line with them? What would be the best size of trap to use? And how would you treat those traps if any of this is possible?

Paul

#2745 - 04/11/07 08:45 PM Re: Bobcat cubbies
45/70 Offline

Loc: South Georgia, usA
What is legal on the ground in your state?
IMO, a 220 is too small, although some folks use them w/success.

This is a dangerous practice in any area where you are subject to encounter dogs, either pets or hunting, and house cats.

You can create a lot of criticism for traps and trappers using large body grippers on the ground.

So, your first consideration must be is it legal in the state (I assume Idaho) you are trapping? Second, are you going to bring A World Of Hurt down on trapping in your state? This has to be an ethical decision. Is the cat worth the risk you run of putting legal trapping at risk in your state.

In my case, there is a third consideration, and that is footholds are much more productive for me than are large body grippers.

If snares are legal in your state, they would be a good alternative to large body grippers.

Adios,
45/70,
RKBA !!!

#2746 - 04/12/07 06:00 PM Re: Bobcat cubbies
phys23 Offline

After looking at that last post I think foothold traps would be much more appropriate at a cubby. A snare would also be an option. I wouldn't want to take the chance of killing somebody's hound in a large body grip, even though all body grips are legal on land. Plus, a good snare would have the same fatal results (for a bobcat that is). I know too many people run hounds for cougars in this area.

Paul

#27046 - 01/07/20 05:07 PM Re: Bobcat cubbies [Re: phys23]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.